MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

KNOBS!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author KNOBS!
dmod
So I am getting a little obsessed with how cool it is to swap out some knobs on different modules. i was thinking it would be really really cool if someone more experienced then myself at this posted a thread with the knob replacement choices, specs etc that go with each manufacturers modules. Well at least the most common ones Doepfer, Intellijel, Make Noise, Harvestman, 4MS, WMD and on and on.... Maybe there is already a link in DIY that someone knows about they could throw me? It would be very appreciated. Cheers!
xonetacular
Depends what kind of shaft the module has. Most common shaft types are 6mm D shafts like Intellijel and various others use and the various knurled shafts on make noise and many other modules (forget the exact spec most of them use).

Then you have stuff like 1/4" smooth shafts which require knobs with a set screw which I find the most difficult if you are trying to unify a system with all the same knobs since really davies clones are the only option that pretty much work on everything and are small enough to fit nearly every module layouts.


I eventually want all my knobs to be a mix of the new intellijel and new make noise style, but I have some modules with 1/4" smooth shafts so won't be able to do them all like that.
hednoize
Thanks for that information -- I recently learned that Intellijel sells their knobs on their website and had hoped to mostly-unify my rig with them, but alas, sounds like that's not possible.
Bogus
Find where Pittsburgh sources their big knobs from and replace every knob on your synth with them Dead Banana
dmod
Bogus wrote:
Find where Pittsburgh sources their big knobs from and replace every knob on your synth with them Dead Banana
haha! ya I like those ones. I replaced all my doepfer with these http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1192 thumbs up and thats what got me the bug. they look so much better I think.
cane creek
I'm a fan of the Davies 1900h clones, just ordered a batch of Green/Brown/violet/yellow/red from Tayda USA.

planning on putting the yellow on the L-1 mutant vactrol filter I'm about to build.

Thonk uk also stock Davies 1900h clones thumbs up

I think the orange ones I bought from thonk look great on the Tube VCA build I just finished

dmod
cane creek wrote:
I'm a fan of the Davies 1900h clones, just ordered a batch of Green/Brown/violet/yellow/red from Tayda USA.

planning on putting the yellow on the L-1 mutant vactrol filter I'm about to build.

Thonk uk also stock Davies 1900h clones thumbs up

I think the orange ones I bought from thonk look great on the Tube VCA build I just finished

Cool ya I like those. I really want to replace the knobs on my MFB OSC-02(ugly lol). I wonder if those knobs work on the Intellijel style posts? Hey also how do you like the tube vca i had my eye on one of those? Cheers!
cane creek
dmod wrote:

I really want to replace the knobs on my MFB OSC-02(ugly lol). I wonder if those knobs work on the Intellijel style posts? Hey also how do you like the tube vca i had my eye on one of those? Cheers!


I have a uVCA but have never removed the knobs so not sure how they fit, however the Davies clones have Grub screws to hold them inplace so you can make them fit almost any shaft.

The Tube VCA I love the distortion/character it adds is sublime.

I only got In to eurorack in January and back then I loved the look of the Pittsburgh stuff with the Moog style knobs, however since then I've fell for the Davies because they look good feel good and don't take up much space when knobs are grouped together.
solaris
check this thread:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81884&start=all&post days=0&postorder=asc
cane creek
solaris wrote:
check this thread:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81884&start=all&post days=0&postorder=asc


Saved the 2 pictures off that thread, a great reference thumbs up
dmod
solaris wrote:
check this thread:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81884&start=all&post days=0&postorder=asc
Now thats what i am talking about. Cheers!
taylor12k
keeping an eye on this thread. helpful to know when someone finds an exact fit for replacement.. as there are so many variables...
axg20202
My preferred source for knobs (and all sorts of DIY electronics items) is Smallbear electronics. You could do worse than order a selection from what he sells and check them out for fit etc. He has a lot of variety in stock. Service has always been excellent.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Categories?category=Knobs&s=1

EDIT: OK, I see someone beat me to it. Oh well, that's two endorsements for ya!
southphillysynths
axg20202 wrote:
My preferred source for knobs (and all sorts of DIY electronics items) is Smallbear electronics. You could do worse than order a selection from what he sells and check them out for fit etc. He has a lot of variety in stock. Service has always been excellent.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Categories?category=Knobs&s=1

EDIT: OK, I see someone beat me to it. Oh well, that's two endorsements for ya!


They got It's peanut butter jelly time! jacks too! Thanks for posting, doing a CGS panel soon, I will be needing these screaming goo yo
axg20202
Nice one. Smallbear is worth supporting as they have hard-to-find parts in one place. They are a small outfit that came about mainly to support the DIY stompbox community (another DIY interest of mine) but seem to stocking some stuff for synth folks too these days, which is handy. I am across the pond in the UK and I am always surprised by how quickly my orders arrive. Definitely recommended.
dmod
axg20202 wrote:
Nice one. Smallbear is worth supporting as they have hard-to-find parts in one place. They are a small outfit that came about mainly to support the DIY stompbox community (another DIY interest of mine) but seem to stocking some stuff for synth folks too these days, which is handy. I am across the pond in the UK and I am always surprised by how quickly my orders arrive. Definitely recommended.
Y a I like them i bought some knobs to replace doepfer ones their may chack out some other knobs too.
LeFreq
I put these on all of my Doepfers. I also put the black/white ones on my Blue Lantern modules. Those are the only ones I've changed out, but I really enjoy the way they look now.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/potentiometer-variable-resistors/knobs -16/black-plastic-knob-with-yellow-pointer.html
dmod
LeFreq wrote:
I put these on all of my Doepfers. I also put the black/white ones on my Blue Lantern modules. Those are the only ones I've changed out, but I really enjoy the way they look now.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/potentiometer-variable-resistors/knobs -16/black-plastic-knob-with-yellow-pointer.html
Just ordered some cream(off white) davies 1900s from there to use for MFB and WMD module i will post if they look cool.
Phetus
anyone know what modules the tip top audio knobs are?

edit: answer's here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81101&

Eagle Plastics
southphillysynths
just saw a maths with serge knobs on it, anyone love/hate makenoise knobs, what do you replace them with?
exper
Nope, all love here. In fact I've swapped almost all of my modules to the new make noise knobs (and intellijel/selco). Just live the feel of them as well as the color coding.

Which reminds me, anyone figure how to get them on modcan modules? I've got Davies on my new Dual Delay and I despise them. The shaft is too thick for the Make Noise knobs. I'm going to try drilling a knob out a little and see if it can slip on.

Alternatively, are there any soft touch knobs with set screws? Something with a white cap would at least match.
ipnoteca
anyone knows where i can get buchla like knobs???
Jimmersound
robocoder wrote:
anyone knows where i can get buchla like knobs???


xpander is your man:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80148

thumbs up
ipnoteca
thank you for the hint, i will try to pm him!!!
digable-me
Sorry if this is a noob-ish question, but do the makenoise knobs fit on doepfer modules?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 1 of 15
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group