MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Max/MSP externals for the ES-4, ES-5 & ESX-4CV
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Max/MSP externals for the ES-4, ES-5 & ESX-4CV
os
Update 2: added videos

------------------------

Update: ES-5 and ESX-4CV externals now available from the site.

Demo videos to follow.

------------------------

Before I make a big splash with this, I thought I'd post it here for some sanity checking by people who have been using Max longer than I have (i.e. more than 2 days).

I've also attached a little test patcher, which hooks up a basic MIDI/CV converter, and an LFO.

All feedback welcome!

AsceticUnderground
Thats great! works a treat for me. Does the mxo have something in it to limit the input max to 255, will it damage anything to exceed that?
os
Good news!

It's internally limited, but it wouldn't hurt anything even if it weren't.
AsceticUnderground
thats good to know grin

this is exactly the solution to what i was asking you about yesterday and that mxo is such a massive help to me, thank you very much
os
ES-5 and ESX-4CV now supported - see first post.
Leoespejo
YYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS

At last thank you OS you are the MAN.

nanners nanners nanners Dead Banana It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! MY ASS IS BLEEDING we're not worthy we're not worthy SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! Guinness ftw! It's motherfucking bacon yo It's motherfucking bacon yo

Tomorrow i'll make an extensive test
os
Added videos to the original post.
roadstersuntan
This alone has persuaded me to get an ES-4, awesome.

Time to read the Max LFO tutorials on C74 again...
Dirty_Bill
Are there plans to add ES-3/6 support eventually as well? I finally ditechd my AC-coupled interface and took the ES-3/6 plunge, and the Max Externals are exciting...
sandyb
Dirty_Bill wrote:
Are there plans to add ES-3/6 support eventually as well? I finally ditechd my AC-coupled interface and took the ES-3/6 plunge, and the Max Externals are exciting...

i'm not sure why you would need max externals for the es3/es6. they can be accessed easily and directly through the dac and adc objects already.
os
Indeed, no externals required for ES-3, ES-6 or the ES-7.
Dirty_Bill
[quote="sandyb"]
Dirty_Bill wrote:

i'm not sure why you would need max externals for the es3/es6. they can be accessed easily and directly through the dac and adc objects already.

Just my lack of understanding of Max. Thanks for the clarification.
rydan
Even though I already have a SilentWay license, this is GREAT news!!!! =)
Guygz
Hi, we can output sound from max to modules with the ES-3. I've heard you can't do that with the ES-4 cause of the conversion Stereo/5canals, it would be annoying... but is it true ?
os
You can output audio via the ES-4 external, though it would of course be 8 bit audio.
subultresk
os wrote:
Update 2: added videos

------------------------

Before I make a big splash with this, I thought I'd post it here for some sanity checking by people who have been using Max longer than I have (i.e. more than 2 days).

Hey Os!
Hey, all you Maxist-Wigglers!

I'm a bit late, Os, but i want to to thank you for those object's. A w e s o m e !!!

I am very surprised that there are so few reactions/discussions about this objects.
It might be, because people don't get it to work completely (gates) and prefer the use of the vst~ solution instead.

So - here are my 2c for sanity:

while we can see in the videos, that the pitches (0-10V or ch1 and 2 of the ES-4) do like integers between 0 and 255 and the "LFO" (-5,3V to 5,3V or ESX-4CV) are looking for integers from -2048 to 2047, the binary gate-control (Gate-Expander) is quite a challenge for the most of us. The video-demonstration is very funny, but i've never used gates like that (i.e. the "8-Gates LFO" in the video). Well done Max-Os! ;-)

Since the conversion from binary to 8 physical gates needs some bit-shifting i thought i could post a solution to deal with that beautiful problem - for most of us, binaries could represent some kind of "unusual handling".
(Because it's easy to copy the programming from the picture it might be more communicatively to post it as a pic only...)
The buttons are representing the 8 gates and can be switched on and off individually without changing anything else.

what i also like:
the pitch (256) is divided "normally" by 4 (half-tones) which means that quarter-tones are easily found (*2) and there is still much more tuning possible with other- or even with variable factors! That is so cool!
Big Fun!

I hope i took a chance to do something useful - it would be a pleasure.

Os - you're my man!

MW is super-great!

w00t
os
Thanks for posting that!
subultresk
It feels so much better than using VST. Now we can start to program some nice Max/MSP-ES-patches like Quadrature-LFO or even some crazier stuff.

Did you solve the saw-problem (in the video)? It has a different output than the cycle...

There is is a nice M4L patch that is called "Simple LFO". It is using buffers and offers several waveforms - all from 0. to 1. - that can be scaled once to -2048 to 2047. Since it is linked to a transport-object it's nice do do rhythmically exact LFO modulations with several Simple LFO "modules" connected to the same transport-object...

The LFO patch used in LFO Tutorial 5 by Gregory Taylor is GREAT!
The LFO Tutorial
subultresk
... some more questions about the max-objects and the resolution (with ES-4 and expanders).

Since pitch is defined in 8bit (0-255) on the first two channels (0-10V) of es4encoder~ and the esx4cvencoder~ looks for -2048 - 2047 (12bit):
do i get 4x 0-10V in a higher (12bit) resolution if i connect the ESX-4CV expander on the first header and the jumper is set to 0-12V?

Or is it 8 bit anyway and the 12bit are scaled down to 8bit internally (because of the DAC)?

Does esx4cvencoder~ want 4x 0-255 if the jumper is set to 0-12V?

... still speechless that i can't find any discussion about those objects! Are all ES-users already addicted to the vst-PlugIns?
I've just finished a little max-help-patch, but haven't tried it yet (i'll do it today)...

cheers
os
You get ±5.333V from the ESX-4CV. There are no jumpers that affect its operation.

The ESX-4CV is always 12 bit.
subultresk
os wrote:
You get ±5.333V from the ESX-4CV. There are no jumpers that affect its operation.

The ESX-4CV is always 12 bit.

Thanks Os - you are extremely fast! As always!

Ok - i mixed it up - sorry...

Again:

1.) ES-4 Channels 1-2: 0-5.3V (when trimmed for 1V/octave response) - controlled via es4encoder~ is an 8bit resolution (256 steps). - ?

2.) ESX-4CV on the first or second header controlled via esx4cvencoder~ into es4encoder~ gives 4x 0-5.3V in a 12bit resolution (4096 steps)?

If 2x yes - is there any disadvantage when an expander is added to the channel?
- because it seems to be just more channels and a better resolution! (and it's still a secret for me!?) - 4096 would be great for tunings!

hmmm.....

I use expanders on headers 3 to 5 now (2x CV, 1x GT).
There is already 20TE reserved space in my instrument for more ES-modules
- if 2xYes i'll immediately add another 8TE!

zombie

Also i will test it with my 4CV on ES-4 ch1 and add that to the maxhelp-patch (i'll send or post it after the test).

I really love your modules! They are helping me a lot! Thanks so much!
Os for Nobule-Price!

Have you ever checked the BEAP-project by Stretta? It's brilliant! Very straight forward. A real brain-booster on this topic!
os
1) Yes.

2) Yes though you mean ±5.333V not 0-5.333V.

The downside is update rate. The ES-4's outputs update at the audio sample rate (e.g. 48kHz). The ESX-4CV's update at an eighth of that rate (e.g. 6kHz).
subultresk
os wrote:
1) Yes.

2) Yes though you mean ±5.333V not 0-5.333V.

The downside is update rate. The ES-4's outputs update at the audio sample rate (e.g. 48kHz). The ESX-4CV's update at an eighth of that rate (e.g. 6kHz).

ah - i remember! Ok - so my old evaluation was correct - excuse me please, i forgot that 6kHz-thing. Since i am working with 96kHz sample rate it will be fortunately still 12 kHz....

Ok -
ES-4 Output voltages
Channels 1-2: 0-5.3V (when trimmed for 1V/octave response) - ok - this might be the 5 octaves and 4 halftones range (=64 halftones)....
Does it mean i can't do that trimming with a ESX-4CV? (Jumper?) So i would have to cut the negative part and use 0-2047 to get 0-5,3V?
(it would be still 8 times more than 256 and - as i estimate - still faster than MIDI - even in 6kHz...)

Channels 3-5: 0-10V or ±5V (jumper selectable per channel)
Can i send 4x 0-10V on this channels (with jumper and ESX-4CV and 12bit/4096 resolution)? Or is ESX-4CV always 4x ±5.333V on any channel (and the jumper only works without ESX-4CV)?

Sorry for asking so much - i should have done that trials before screwing the modules into the system, but...

who has got that time when some long expected modules arrive....?

love

Ah - one more question:
yesterday i tried to use the es-max-objects on a 2009 MacBookPro, OsX10.68 (SL), Max 6.1.3 and it didn't worked because of a missing c++ library. Do those objects need OsX10.8 (ML)? On my fresh 2012 MacMini everything just worked fine...
os
Quote:
Does it mean i can't do that trimming with a ESX-4CV? (Jumper?) So i would have to cut the negative part and use 0-2047 to get 0-5,3V?

Why would you want to not use the negative voltages?

Quote:
Can i send 4x 0-10V on this channels (with jumper and ESX-4CV and 12bit/4096 resolution)? Or is ESX-4CV always 4x ±5.333V on any channel (and the jumper only works without ESX-4CV)?

As I mentioned:
os wrote:

No idea what's going on with your missing library. What was the error exactly?
subultresk
os wrote:

Why would you want to not use the negative voltages?

I am thinking of 0-5.3 for pitches and higher resolution for special tunings. ;-)

os wrote:

Ok - i understand!

os wrote:
No idea what's going on with your missing library. What was the error exactly?

... the screenshot...

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4