MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Custom Guitar - 2+ Year Wait
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Custom Guitar - 2+ Year Wait
Muff Wiggler
Well, after years of temptation & lust, I just couldn't help myself any longer. Finally pulled the trigger and sent in my deposit to get on the waiting list for a Callaham S-Model.

It's gonna take 2-3 years to be ready. I can, uh, hardly wait.

Seriously though, I'm glad I did it, really excited about this.
Liquidcolor
A Callaham, very nice. You will not be disappointed. I bought an S-series from Bill back in 1993 when they cost ~$1200 and took about 6 months. He was displaying at the Detroit guitar show. After walking by his display a few times and being stunned by the quality of his finishes, I eventually picked one up and was hooked. Everything was top notch and the necks felt wonderful, similar to the Ernie Ball gun-oiled necks. Light one-piece body and immaculate fret and nut work. And you can't go wrong with Fralin pickups.

By a mile the best Strat style guitar I have ever played, though unfotunately I had to sell it a few years later. Really regret that. Nowadays I would be more likely to get a T-style, though I wouldn't kick an S out of bed.

Tech note: I had Bill wire my tone pots to the middle and bridge with .015 caps which was the EJ secret back when he was in all the mags.
Muff Wiggler
Indeed, I'm very excited. I have a set of his 'special wind' Fralin pickups in my G&L, along with his tremblock. I was quite impressed with both of these items, and have been thinking about his guitars ever since. The man obviously cares very much about what he does. You're right about the Fralins, I've never heard such good pickups before.

Thanks for the encouraging words - I know it's a long wait, but I really expect to be blown away. Everything I've read about them, people are saying that after waiting 2+ years, they thought they would have over-hyped their expectations, and were waiting to be disappointed - but were STILL absolutely floored by the instrument when they finally received it. I'm hoping for exactly this oops

Plus the fact the he worked with me quite a bit on my specs and even bent his 'rules' to do some options he normally doesn't - I'm pretty excited knowing that Bill Callaham will personally be building my entire guitar for me, from scratch, exactly to my spec. And I know the work will be peerless. Really excited indeed 8)

thanks - thanks for the EJ tip as well. I'm gonna try it out on my G&L
plord
You really can't beat a hand-built guitar smile
Muff Wiggler
yes you do know all about that you lucky fellow 8) still in the honeymoon phase I presume?
Muff Wiggler
it's actually pretty amazing that someone else at this forum has owned a Callaham. they aren't very common guitars. i wonder how many he's made - as he says his primary business is not making guitars - AND he's an absolute perfectionist, which is why he does them so slowly
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
yes you do know all about that you lucky fellow 8) still in the honeymoon phase I presume?

lol
Chrome Dinette
I waited about 14 months for a guitar(Scott French). In my case, it was totally worth it, even though I have another guitar that I play more these days.
Liquidcolor
"It's actually pretty amazing that someone else at this forum has owned a Callaham. they aren't very common guitars."

Definitely. Which neck size did you get ? Maple '54 club here. That guitar res-o-nated !
Muff Wiggler
I went for the '60 Flat Round (Boat) - asked him for a medium sized one, 'not a baseball bat'. It was a tossup between that and the neck you got - my G&L has a neck I *adore* and it's a medium-ish size flat round carve. I'm sure Bill will make it feel damn nice no matter what I had chosen.

Here's my specs -

--------------------------

- S Model

- Aged Olympic White Body Paint

- 60 Flat Round Neck Carve (Medium size please, not a baseball bat....)

- Rosewood fingerboard, lightest color rosewood available if you can

- Non-figured maple neck if possible - some light flame ok, prefer quiet, understated & traditional

- Standard Frets, Standard Radius

- H/SRV Special Pickups

- Distressed Hardware

- Antiqued Parchment White Pickguard & Backplate

- 'Aged White' Color Pickup Covers, Knobs & Switchtip - or antiqued alongside pickguard

- Brown Tolex Case

--------------------

as you probably know, the 'distressed' hardware isn't faux-rusted or damaged or 'reliced' in anyway, it just is a dull color, not the 'shine' of new hardware

plord
Muff Wiggler wrote:

I've actually moved into the "lifelong commitment" phase. and the "...and I got amazing customer service" phase!

I asked for features I knew I would like-- fat V shaped neck in the 1-5 position, shifting to a smooth D shape up high, very flat fretboard radius. What I didn't anticipate is that my left hand technique would have some issues. Long story short, I was pulling the high E string off the end of the fret on some bends and pulloffs. Totally my bad habits, but a real buzzkill.

Scott invited me back down to the shop this past weekend, cut me a new nut with an extra 32nd of an inch clearance on the high side (and of course, adjusted down the line for equal string-center to string-center distance), and for grins, pulled out the scrap from my body shaping and made three new pickup rings in cocobolo, which we swapped for the ebony ones. The new ones are taller, giving more room for adjustment on the Z-90s.

No charge.

The guy is seriously moving into Jered Flickinger territory for customer service. plus we shot the shit about music and guitars for hours.

The Z-90 pickups are kicking my ass. They can do *anything*. The neck pickup is RW/RP, and has a toggle so you can add it to any other pup config. So you can get a wide humbucker with neck and bridge, or a narrow humbucker with neck and middle, or all three pickups at once, which is probably my favorite. It's really chimey even with a flat amp EQ. and the dynamic range on the pickups is really wide; it's making me play differently, just to see how much nuance I can pull out just by altering my pick hand attack.

You read about this shit on guitar geek forums, you know? but until you have a rig that can DO it, you just don't KNOW! smile
Muff Wiggler
wow, that is seriously, SERIOUSLY awesome. i just love things that are made by hand by folks who really truly care. such a joy to own and play these items.

plord wrote:
You read about this shit on guitar geek forums, you know? but until you have a rig that can DO it, you just don't KNOW! smile

heh, I know exactly, *EXACTLY* what you mean.
tiny333
oo they look sorted .. never seen that make before

nice one muff ... not to expensive either....(well in £'s)

love the ice blue..

oops
Muff Wiggler
thanks tiny! it is kinda nice that the US$ is struggling so....

(sorry American friends oops )
Muff Wiggler
just got an email notification from Bill Callaham...

my guitar is being sprayed right now and will be ready to ship "in several months".

To be honest, didn't seem like much of a wait at all.

damn exciting.
SynthBaron
I was gonna say the economy was in your favor, but then I realized it said 2008, not 2009 on your first post.
JohnLRice
Muff Wiggler wrote:
my guitar is being sprayed right now and will be ready to ship "in several months".

huh? Sheesh, tell 'em to get a bigger spray nozzle already! meh

Mr. Green

Congrats on the imending cool toy! 8_)
TrashWaveform
I could never wait 2 years for a guitar. No matter how bad ass. I am the most impatient guy in the whole world. I would crack within the first 6 months.
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:

To be honest, didn't seem like much of a wait at all.

damn exciting.

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Kent
Every time that this thread is bumped I get all hyper about seeing the finished product.

Where it is Where it is Where it is Where it is Where it is Where it is?

Rockin' Banana!
Muff Wiggler
Kent wrote:
Where it is Where it is Where it is Where it is Where it is Where it is?

hehe sounds like you're in more of a hurry than I am!

the email from him last week came as a huge surprise, I made my deposit in April 2008 and basically put it out of my mind completely, it'll be ready when it's ready

anyway the email last week said it would be ready in "several months" and they were just getting ready to spray it. It also asked to confirm receipt of the email.... I suspect part of the point of that email was to make sure they could still get in touch with me, and I was still interested before they went off and painted it in my chosen finish (assuming if I had disappeared or didn't want it, they would use it for the next order in the line....)

Also, when I made my deposit, the waiting list/production time was estimated at two years... and from various guitar forums it seems most people have had to wait longer than this.

So two years from my deposit would take us to April of 2010, and that's also "several months" away. I really think it'll be at least springtime before I'm rocking this baby Rockin' Banana!
decaying.sine
Muff Wiggler wrote:
I really think it'll be at least springtime before I'm rocking this baby Rockin' Banana!

So, Muff, you rocking it or what? Any pictures of this beauty?
Muff Wiggler
nope, still waiting! screaming goo yo
LameAim
How about now?
Muff Wiggler
Will be ready to ship July 10th Rockin' Banana!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2