MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Spectralis 2 users?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Spectralis 2 users?
droolmaster0
I had a love/hate thing with the original. Got as far as .97 and sold it.

I'm curious to get a summation from someone who has used both - has the user interface gotten any better? Does realtime recording of the knobs work - how comprehensive is it? etc, etc....

there is both the 1.0+ OS and the new hardware that I'm curious about.

It's a great sounding machine - but ultimately I found it very frustrating. Pleasing enough though that it's still kind of on my mind...
bar|none
Hey there,

I still have the version 1. However, we are at 1.04H now which is essentially what the 2 has.

No realtime recording of knobs yet, but add ("grain of salt") coming. This was never 'my" feature anyway.

The OS has improved a lot since .97. In general the flow has gotten much better, the new delay engines are very very musical.

Realtime record has vastly improved, no stopping the sequencer when recording.

The dynamic on the fly loading of samples is much better than before, etc..

Basically, the flow is even better especially for live tweaking.

The routing was always confusing but has gotten much much better with some new menus grouped into more logical sections.

My biggest problem is probably similar to yours. There are 3 sound engines that have my attention, Live 8, Modular, Pacarana. The spectralis sound is as good or better than all of these in certain ways, the problem is where to focus your energy. The spectralis is a world unto it's own, best experienced by building inside the box rather than by controlling from outside.

I need to control from outside, so it limits what I achieve with it. The times that I do dive into the box, I am still very impressed with it. So much so that I waver on what to do, upgrade to the 2, keep the 1, upgrade the 1, sell it. I think I might regret the latter.
droolmaster0
hmmmm - and yeah - would I want another machine again that requires so much energy to learn. I have the same issue - keeping up with the growing modular system, not being where I want to be with the Kyma, etc....the Spectralis has so much potential, but will I take advantage of it, or sell it again?
syzygywell
I never had v1 but wanted one for a long time. So I bought the 2 on bar/none's recommendation. I'm glad I did. I actually find the interface far more pleasing. The buttons alone are just way easier to work. The retro look is gone but it is a looker and the sound is still bar/none.. hahah. sorry couldn't help myself.

I don't know drool. I actually saw your posts over the years.. buying and selling the thing hihi back when when I was looking for info from other users.

If you are being kept busy with the mod and kyma the spec will sit there and irritate you by virtue of its just sitting there. It has a great internal world that doesn't lend to quick satisfaction to be sure. I haven't worked with it as much as I would like because the manual was confusing It is very detailed it would be helpful if there was a step by step section with small pics rather like the MD has. Then I got a Moog and Machinedrum which are more immediate so I've played more with those lately.

Maybe wait until you have a more comfortable handle on the kyma and a II comes up for sale at a good deal. And by then maybe the knob recording will be a feature of the OS. Which could be a more happy experience for you.

ETA. Don't get me wrong.. I want people to buy this machine and for Jorg to be successful with it. I think it is great and if I were banished to an island and could only take one piece of gear it would be this.
droolmaster0
syzygywell wrote:

If you are being kept busy with the mod and kyma the spec will sit there and irritate you by virtue of its just sitting there. ...

Oh, that's just so well put that I had to quote only that sentence...

it is true though that I was pretty comfortable with the hybrid synth and its sequencer - so it's relatively easy for me to pick that up and just use that part. I never spent as much time with the rest of the machine, and remember trying to find out how to do specific things in the manual and failing....but it sounds like the docs are much more complete now.

I find myself tempted now by 2 devices that I ostensibly 'learned my lesson' about. The Speckie, and also the Signal Arts MAPS, this time with a euro version.

The MAPS is a much stronger possibility - like the speckie I loved/hated it, but the notion of having its amazing capabilities right there in my eurorack, along with the cv outputs, etc, is just so, so tempting. I also find myself tempted by the idea of using the speckie filter bank along with the evin/stilton and other components of the modular, etc.

What might wind up saving me from a speckie purchase is that I'm rapidly running out of space to put stuff....
bar|none
One thought...if you are just interested in using the sequencer and the sequencer filterbank from the Specki, then you don't need a 2. The 2 has loads of sample ram, but for those purposes, you don't need it and the engine and functionality is the same.

The sequencer and sequenced filterbank are very special on the specki, I really need to setup some filterbank templates and route the modular through it just for that capability. The modular can't do it, and the pacarana can but it might take me a few years to design the patch.

>ETA. Don't get me wrong.. I want people to buy this machine and for Jorg to be successful with it. I think it is great and if I were banished to an island and could only take one piece of gear it would be this.

I agree with syzygywell on this point. When I sell the modular and the pacarana, them I'm really gonna rock the specki. wink

[edit] Also if I had just stuck with the Specki and not gotten into this modular stuff, I'd be a lot richer right now. hihi
droolmaster0
Well, the hybrid synth is a big part of it - I wouldn't buy even a speckie 1 for the filterbank. The sequencer is very good for an integrated step sequencer, but it doesn't compare with the better stand alone units.
bar|none
> The sequencer is very good for an integrated step sequencer, but it doesn't compare with the better stand alone units.

I'm just curious but what units are you talking about?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the new OS has groove quantize now, which is a big deal for those of us not into the techo thing. Also the delays can be specified in millis or beat fractions which are also quantized to the groove.
droolmaster0
schrittmacher, p3, octopus/nemo, MAPS, even something like the Cyclus. As I recall, the speckie doesn't even have sequence modulation (except with a probability line for note on)...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1