MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone else using a Zoom r16?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Anyone else using a Zoom r16?
Rayek
To me, this thing has been indespensable. I don't want to stare at a computer for longer than I have to, and this helps with that. It has 8 inputs so most of my gear can record on separate channels, and I can take it anywhere. Seriously, one of the best music-related purchases I have ever made.

Anyone else using this? I'm curious to see if anyone has used it as an audio interface or for MIDI.
poppinger
Does it have midi? I was looking at them awhile back but got hung up on the notion that it wouldn't sync to midi clock. I had grand fantasies of syncing it with the Octatrack.

I go back and forth about grabbing one even without midi clock. I would think you could use the metronome to clock the modular without too much dicking around. The in-built tuner would be icing on the cake for modular use.

And now I've nearly convinced myself again.
Blinkar blå
No MIDI.

I've used it as audio interface for a while, but I don't have any experience using it as a controller for a DAW.

A couple of general observations:
- it distorts with common modular levels, you need pads/attenuators
- most operations involves menu-diving (eg. pan, change metronome tempo and so on)

I haven't tried using the metronome to clock the modular, but I'm guessing it's doable since you can assign the metronome to headphone output only.
Blinkar blå
thought I'd mention this re: syncing, it's from page 34 in the manual:

"Be aware that the metronome starts sounding
from the instant that recording/playback begins.
Therefore, if you begin in the middle of a song, the
metronome sound and the pulse of the music might
be out of sync."
Rayek
Sorry, lost track of this. oops

I've been using a stereo out module with a dedicated attenuator, so don't notice the clipping, although I did like the idea of, once I got a few more modules, being able to have 8 channels to record into. Hmmm.

I also don't plan on using much of the extra features on it, mainly just for recording. Although it's kind of a pain that you can't really use it as a little mixer for performances since there's no knob for panning on it :(

Regarding MIDI, I assumed that because you can use it as a control surface that they'd be using some form of USB MIDI for DAW integration, but I guess not...

Either way, I love this thing, and it is totally worth the cash I spent on it, and I highly recommend it to people who don't want to stare at a computer for longer than they have to.
Funky40
no sync was the dealbreaker for me too.
otherwise it would have been a ideal unit for me.

i don't know, midi might be stoneage, but nearly every task i do when making music involves some sort of midi sync,
.....still the way things work. ....not only for me
floris
Would love to open my Zoom R8 to get individual outs.
anyone tried or read about this?
strettara
I have the R8, but only use it as an audio interface, to be honest. I don't really understand anymore why I got it, but it works OK for that if you don't need more than 2 ins, which I don't.
suboptimal
I'm considering a R16 to liberate myself from the computer at the recording stage. If I'm reading the manual correctly, it's possible to set up a Project with your track settings, and the previous project template gets loaded when you create a new project, so I could configure the 8 inputs once and be done with it. Is that correct? I want to set up according to my studio configuration and be done with it, a few button pushes max to get things going, otherwise I'm better off sticking with the computer.

I still plan to work with recorded tracks on the computer for messing with effects and mastering, but I do so little of that it's a secondary concern to capturing jams in a useful, integrated way.
Igor Berlin
I have been using the Behringer UFX1204 lately. If being able to be powered by batteries is not important, I would suggest to check that out. It's a good mixer with lots of functions, sounds ok and it can record all it's channels directly on a usb stick without the need of a computer. It will record 12 seperate channels, the 2 aux and the Master channels as wavs to the usb medium. When connected to a computer it works as a firewire or usb audio interface with 12 ins and 4 outs. It even gives you transport controls for your daw.
This thing has drastically changed my workflow. It's so great to have that record button on a mixer :-)
I never liked Behringer and this is my first product from them... but it is a great mixer, especially for that price.
Except for the battery thing, it beats the zoom in every aspect :-)
suboptimal
I have to admit I'm pretty sharply biased against Behringer. In this case, the form factor of the unit won't work for me, so I can avoid having to look at it with both eyes open. wink

The Zoom's size is a huge part of what makes it appealing to me. I know that by itself this isn't a reason to get it, though. I've thrown away too much money on this sort of thing in the past to jump in quickly.
70's Synth dude
I looked at one a couple months back As an interface for the price I thought it was great. But when I went head to head with the H6, the quality was just not there in the record function. The H6 had better sounding pre's so I went with that for my needs > live 2-5 mike recording.

I do like the fact that two 16's can be linked to get 32 channels. Thats pretty sweet for a low end controller. and they are battery powered!
cretaceousear
Yes - when you start a new project it retains the settings from the old one, re track routing.
Though I haven't ever tested this as I just swap jack plugs around - less hassle. For basic syncing you can always record a click.
I have an R24 as I wanted 8 simultaneous recording tracks for band meets.

Works really well - it's certainly quick to get it into "record".
suboptimal
Cool, thanks for the input.

On the quality of the pres, I'm not sure I'm picky enough for it to matter. I'm recording to have some sketches of what I've done, not for building tracks. I think I'd stick to my Pro40 setup if I were trying to do anything more sophisticated on the recording side.
thevegasnerve
been using the Zoom R8 quite a bit lately. Feels great to remove the computer from my room and it has helped me. Since I prefer a live setup feel to my studio, I just setup the two outs from my Mackie 820i to channels 1-2 on the Zoom and stereolink everything. Works perfectly.. I did notice that I have to be careful not to overload the Zoom channels when playing the Mother32s or other analog equipment. There does seem to be a sweet spot for getting strong enough signals without clipping.

Now the challenge will be to start mastering these recordings, anyone use the Zoom for final mixdown or move to computer? I am thinking I need to go to ProTools at that point (have PT9)..
i.murray.fraser
I've been using the Zoom R8 for a while now. I like to avoid the computer most of the time. I've only mastered one or two tracks directly on the unit, but it's nice and tactile.

I haven't really found a quick and easy way to get the sync working through the headphone click track. It does eventually work, but I always need to record a click, set the metronome to play whatever track it's on, make sure it's a single click, patch it into the modular, adjust the track volume and headphone volume to sweet spot, etc. Even then, it's sometimes still finicky. Maybe I'm expecting too much, I just wish I could use one of the stock metronome samples, just plug and play, but that has never really worked for me.

Sometimes I don't need sync and then the unit is a joy. You can layer your tracks, loop sections, mute tracks, bounce down, and more.

Lately, I've been really enjoying the EHX 45000 looper, which, although it has a different purpose than multitrack recording, seems to fit my flow better. Plus, it has midi sync.
thevegasnerve
Yeah, since my Zoom R8 is being used as basically a modern Portastudio, i don't attempt any midi sync or midi anything! In fact, I have a 4-track cassette deck that I am using for tape loops, etc. next to it. I may try some quick mastering on the Zoom for reference, but most likely final tracks will go back to computer or will be sent out as stems to let a pro mix/master them properly. But I am starting to accumulate a decent amount of songs for the first time in quite a while, and I credit the Zoom for most of that.
Paranormal Patroler
i.murray.fraser wrote:
I've been using the Zoom R8 for a while now. I like to avoid the computer most of the time. I've only mastered one or two tracks directly on the unit, but it's nice and tactile.

I haven't really found a quick and easy way to get the sync working through the headphone click track. It does eventually work, but I always need to record a click, set the metronome to play whatever track it's on, make sure it's a single click, patch it into the modular, adjust the track volume and headphone volume to sweet spot, etc. Even then, it's sometimes still finicky. Maybe I'm expecting too much, I just wish I could use one of the stock metronome samples, just plug and play, but that has never really worked for me.

Sometimes I don't need sync and then the unit is a joy. You can layer your tracks, loop sections, mute tracks, bounce down, and more.

Lately, I've been really enjoying the EHX 45000 looper, which, although it has a different purpose than multitrack recording, seems to fit my flow better. Plus, it has midi sync.

What have you been using as a sync destination on your modular? I was kinda hoping that outputting the click from the R8 would be able to clock my Pamela. Worst case I am considering one of these:

http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=1943

Should be able to convert the click track to an actual trigger.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1