MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SQ816 Boot up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular  
Author SQ816 Boot up
digital_steve
I wrote a post before, but the server crashed Dead Banana

Anyway, it made me check the boot up sequence video.

I received my SQ816 recently and it's great and deep (thank god for the plastic reference card), but it wouldn't boot properly from a MakeNoise MINIPWR (it would boot once, then after power off and on it would show solid red at the clock LED and red on the first stage LED then progressively, very slowly, start to step through the stages).
That's fine, I switched everything around and run it from my TTA Zeus boards in my 9U.
It boots up fine now, but it boots into some mode other than sequencing mode (even after several resets) which requires you to push the "lots of" button to make it initiate it's boot up sequence, where it then scans through the leds in the three colours and gets ready to receive another button press to set the first stage.

Is this normal behavior? Am I missing a firmware update or something?
mmm
digital_steve wrote:
I wrote a post before, but the server crashed Dead Banana

Anyway, it made me check the boot up sequence video.

I received my SQ816 recently and it's great and deep (thank god for the plastic reference card), but it wouldn't boot properly from a MakeNoise MINIPWR (it would boot once, then after power off and on it would show solid red at the clock LED and red on the first stage LED then progressively, very slowly, start to step through the stages).
That's fine, I switched everything around and run it from my TTA Zeus boards in my 9U.
It boots up fine now, but it boots into some mode other than sequencing mode (even after several resets) which requires you to push the "lots of" button to make it initiate it's boot up sequence, where it then scans through the leds in the three colours and gets ready to receive another button press to set the first stage.

Is this normal behavior? Am I missing a firmware update or something?

IDK. What is the software version number? Also, What's the serial number?

What else do you have in the rack with the Makenoise? It acts like it wasn't providing enough juice for everything.

The Zeuss should do it. How does it respond if the SQ816 is powered last after all of the other modules on the same supply are running?

Sometimes, a module set with a bunch of modules that suck a lot of initial current will drop the power supply voltage at startup and take a moment for everything to stabilize.

BTW, Tnx for picking one up digital_steve applause
Now, let's see what's a happenin'

G
digital_steve
Hey mate!
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'd pick up three if I was rich hihi

Initially with the MINIPWR I had one other module plugged in, a Z8000, but I disconnected that as soon as I noticed the odd behaviour and ran it solo trying out different plugs and the like and even straight in from the MINIPWR itself.
One thing I did notice actually was that if I pulled the power connector out then plugged in back in to the same connector, or a different one, when it had powered up in that weird mode, it would suddenly go into the proper initial boot up sequence but after power off then on it went back to what I call the 'error mode'.
It's almost like the MINIPWR doesn't provide enough juice at power on and it confuses the unit or something.

On the Zeus it will power up fine into a mode that has the clock LED flashing red but requires a 'lots of' button push to initiate the correct boot up sequence, regardless of if it's powered on last or not (but I'll double check that).

Now, this is from memory as I'm at work and not in front of the unit, but if the master clock LED is 0 then the version is 0.1.0, if it's 1 then 1.0.1 I believe. I'm probably blind, but I can't find any firmware to download to flash the unit to see if that solves anything.
I'll have to post back in several hours with the serial number.

FWIW it also sometimes just goes blank and dead after doing a factory reset, but a power cycle fixes that.

*edit - you can see how i'm setup in my signature links: the cody case is my 9u powered by a powered TTA zeus and two passive zeus; the cody rack is powered by the MINIPWR and the cody skiff, which will attach to the top of my 9u, will be powered by a uZeus when they arrive.
mmm
digital_steve wrote:
Hey mate!
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'd pick up three if I was rich hihi

Initially with the MINIPWR I had one other module plugged in, a Z8000, but I disconnected that as soon as I noticed the odd behaviour and ran it solo trying out different plugs and the like and even straight in from the MINIPWR itself.
One thing I did notice actually was that if I pulled the power connector out then plugged in back in to the same connector, or a different one, when it had powered up in that weird mode, it would suddenly go into the proper initial boot up sequence but after power off then on it went back to what I call the 'error mode'.
It's almost like the MINIPWR doesn't provide enough juice at power on and it confuses the unit or something.

On the Zeus it will power up fine into a mode that has the clock LED flashing red but requires a 'lots of' button push to initiate the correct boot up sequence, regardless of if it's powered on last or not (but I'll double check that).

Now, this is from memory as I'm at work and not in front of the unit, but if the master clock LED is 0 then the version is 0.1.0, if it's 1 then 1.0.1 I believe. I'm probably blind, but I can't find any firmware to download to flash the unit to see if that solves anything.
I'll have to post back in several hours with the serial number.

FWIW it also sometimes just goes blank and dead after doing a factory reset, but a power cycle fixes that.

*edit - you can see how i'm setup in my signature links: the cody case is my 9u powered by a powered TTA zeus and two passive zeus; the cody rack is powered by the MINIPWR and the cody skiff, which will attach to the top of my 9u, will be powered by a uZeus when they arrive.

If you have the system I think you have. You have S/N: E0003. Which would have software ver: 1.0.0.

We have an upgrade: V:1.0.1 That stabilizes the bootup, I think. But, we'd have to communicate via email to get that loaded....

Actually, Scott should instruct you. He's the programmer and all of the Euro versions are a Division 6 product smile

Like the way I side-stepped that one? Actually, not side-stepping. He knows what he did that made V-1.0.0 into V-1.0.1. I just solder stuff sad banana

We did install V-1.0.1 on systems starting with S/N: E0021 and up.

Um...what signature links...?

G
digital_steve
Ha! No worries, I'll shoot you an email mate then you can tell me what to do or who to contact.

Bottom of my post should be three links to click on, underneath Richards funny quote.
mmm
digital_steve wrote:
Ha! No worries, I'll shoot you an email mate then you can tell me what to do or who to contact.

Bottom of my post should be three links to click on, underneath Richards funny quote.

Ah, got it. I didn't even see them. I was looking for a list of URL's...
I hate being old.. confused

G
Scottzilla
mmm wrote:

Actually, Scott should instruct you. He's the programmer and all of the Euro versions are a Division 6 product smile

G

Hey, that's me! Sure, I can help you update it. I'll shoot you an email. Eel Power FTW!
digital_steve
Stellar service from MMM and Division 6 (George and Scott respectively).

If anyone is getting some glitches on power up with your SQ816 then make sure you're on this firmware; it fixed all issues I had and also put me in touch with two top blokes!
mmm
digital_steve wrote:
Stellar service from MMM and Division 6 (George and Scott respectively).

If anyone is getting some glitches on power up with your SQ816 then make sure you're on this firmware; it fixed all issues I had and also put me in touch with two top blokes!

Really? Who did you talk to besides us? Guinness ftw!
digital_steve
Ha!
Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street... good lads

wink
mmm
w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular  
Page 1 of 1