Octal Resonator

Discussion and support for users and builders of Oakley Sound musical products.

Moderators: Kent, Synthbuilder

terjewinther
Common Wiggler

Octal Resonator

Post by terjewinther » Wed May 29, 2013 4:43 pm

I have one of these, finally finished building it.
The old docs are not up on the web site.
Actually, I only need the front plate file.
Anyone?

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Fri May 31, 2013 10:14 am

This is what I have:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

terjewinther
Common Wiggler

Post by terjewinther » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:33 pm

Yes, this is what I needed.
Thanks!

terjewinther
Common Wiggler

Re: Octal Resonator

Post by terjewinther » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:17 am

Things take time!
I see that it is all the way back in 2013 that I build this, but at the time it didn't fit into the modular, so it ended up in the drawer.
Since Easter is at home this year, it is time to finish all nearly-finished projects. Fitted the module to the front panel, and did the usual tests.
I understand that this module was not really that popular (in terms of sales), but as always it´s a 100% success when it comes to sonic results. It works completely and inspiring at first power-up. Sending phased noise or multi-VCO sequencer lines though the octal resonator and using the stereo outputs really adds an additional dimension to the sound. I probably need to make some demos.
One question, though: even with all the pots at zero, there is still a good portion of the sound coming through. I don't have the build docs, so there is probably something in there describing this, but looking at the schematics (which I have, or else I would not have been able to solder up all the connections correct), it does seem to be correct that some sound will come through, even with the pots at zero.
The octal resonator is slightly different to a fixed filter bank, so it is a welcome addition to my modulars.

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:26 am

terjewinther wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:17 am
even with all the pots at zero, there is still a good portion of the sound coming through.
This is correct. The pots are resonance controls rather than volume controls. So they control the selectivity of each filter rather than the output level. As each filter becomes more selective it increasingly boosts the centre frequency over all the others. So it does sort of work like a volume control but not in the normal way. It's actually quite unique.

Tony

terjewinther
Common Wiggler

Post by terjewinther » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:11 am

Synthbuilder wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:26 am
terjewinther wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:17 am
even with all the pots at zero, there is still a good portion of the sound coming through.
This is correct. The pots are resonance controls rather than volume controls. So they control the selectivity of each filter rather than the output level. As each filter becomes more selective it increasingly boosts the centre frequency over all the others. So it does sort of work like a volume control but not in the normal way. It's actually quite unique.
Tony
Great, thanks. That means the module is working as it should.

I did a quick demo of the sounds, let me see if I can insert a SoundCloud here...
First phased white noise, then a multi-VCO sequencer line. None of the usual delay (echo) on the sequencer, but I added a little reverb. All sounds are combined from Oakley and Moog modular. Main sound in the middle, and the Octal resonator at extreme left/right, so headphones of a stereo set. Most of the time I am dialing up each frequency from zero to full to hear the effects, but you can of course dial in more subtle effects, and combine the various resonator bands for the desired sound.

terjewinther
Common Wiggler

Post by terjewinther » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:14 am

...and some photos too:
IMG_3065.JPG
IMG_3066.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Schlumpfhut
Common Wiggler

Post by Schlumpfhut » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:01 pm

terjewinther wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:11 am
This sound REALLY great. Is there any chance to get one of these (again) today?

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:02 am

Schlumpfhut wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:01 pm
Is there any chance to get one of these (again) today?
I've been wanting to do this one again for a while, but I haven't had the courage because it tanked the last time. I don't think I even covered the costs of the PCB run. But back then the cost of making PCBs was way higher than it is now.

If I do a new version of this it'll probably in a single width MU panel and 8HP Eurorack. Let's see what I can cook up.

Tony

Return to “Oakley Sound Systems”