MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Motu Volta with korg Ms-20 ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Motu Volta with korg Ms-20 ?
elektrodomestic
I guys, I want to know if anyone as tried ou Silent way with the korg Ms20 series. I know that with volta it has some isues i think because The MS-20 VCO CV input doesn't respond to bipolar voltages. It has a range of 0-8V, while MOTU interfaces have a range of about -4 to +4. Even if you only wanted to use half the range, the 0-4V range is so low pitched that pitch calibration doesn't work. So you have to add in an offset voltage. I dont have a motu around so I can test it, but I will get one with this works on a Ms20.

By the way somebody told me this would work with volta

"The easiest way to do this is to add a ramp source and set the ramp to a constant value of about 0.6 to 0.75. The ramp and your voice pitch CVs will sum so your effective output will be 0to8V instead of -4to+4V. Then you can adjust the VCO scale and pitch knobs to get the base pitch into the range in which calibration will work. The calibration mode has to be set to Hz/V."

Hope this helps somebody

give it a test and let me know Thanks guys
doctorvague
elektrodomestic wrote:

By the way somebody told me this would work with volta

"The easiest way to do this is to add a ramp source and set the ramp to a constant value of about 0.6 to 0.75. The ramp and your voice pitch CVs will sum so your effective output will be 0to8V instead of -4to+4V. Then you can adjust the VCO scale and pitch knobs to get the base pitch into the range in which calibration will work. The calibration mode has to be set to Hz/V."

That doesn't really make sense to me. I'm looking in the Volta manual - most MOTU interfaces will output about 4V tops, except the 896 will output 6V. So adding an offset at the computer won't help, at least in theory. You'll be right up against the top range of voltage the interface can output. IOW, adding an offset in your DAW via ramp automation won't magically increase the maximum voltage the interface can put out - that's a physical limitation of the circuitry. You'd need to offset the voltage AFTER the interface with a DC offset via some outboard module with a positive voltage added to the interface output with a CV mixer, etc. Just to be clear, I don't mean scaling the voltage or amplifying it, you just want to add a DC voltage, i.e. 'offset' or sometimes called 'bias'.
doctorvague
OK, I tested Volta > 24i/o > MS-20. I tried this once before and blamed it on operator error, but this time the same result: FAIL
I'm getting signal back to Volta and everything checks out, but calibration fails every time. I used a dotcom Q125 Signal processor so I could add an offset as described above, which was definitely needed to bring it into range. It may be a faulty CV input on my MS-20, as I just bought it recently and don't absolutely know that it works correctly. If anyone can verify Volta working with an MS-20 please post your results. I did get Volta working with a Monopoly, but it's 1V/Oct so a completely different kettle of fish. This could be a bug in Volta, but hard to tell until more results are posted. I'll do some more testing as time permits.
1nput0utput
The MS-20 is mentioned on this page:

http://www.motu.com/products/software/volta/calib.html
doctorvague
os PM'd me the OP's question was originally supposed to be about Silent Way, not Volta and this was posted in the wrong forum. Not a colossal waste of time but a waste of time nonetheless.
very frustrating

EDIT: Apologies - there was a misunderstanding here.
And I took my Midol.
alsostarring
Shit!!!!

I didn't read this!!

1nput0utput wrote:
The MS-20 is mentioned on this page:

http://www.motu.com/products/software/volta/calib.html

I bought Volta in order to control my MS-20 and my CR-78! feeding CV with Ultralite MK3
Does anybody know How can I add this +4V biass offset?

Maybe something like a +4V DC source in parallel or seriess mounted?

Or something that adding this ramp in the wiring, just outside the Ultralite...

Can anybody help me? Any idea?

Thank u
doctorvague
No that will not work and might fry your outputs since a Y-cord just shorts the outputs. It might work if you use a CV mixer instead.

Somewhere there's info on some MS-20 site that tells how to get around the Hz/V limitation to use 1V/Oct with another CV input on the MS-20 but I only did that once and then sold mine and don't have a link. Maybe someone else has that info or a link.
os
Here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140761#140761

(your post, doctorvague!)
doctorvague
os wrote:
Here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140761#140761

(your post, doctorvague!)

It's like I can read my own mind!! d'oh!
Analog>Plugins
[quoteYamaha CS-series - While Volta supports Hz/v scaling, the Yamaha CS-series synths will not pass calibration without a additional bias voltage. For this reason, these monosynths are not supported at this time.[/quote]

I did have the same problem with Volta and CS-30, try Silent Way free demo though as I had perfect calibration with the CS-30.

Each program Volta and Silent Way have their strengths so use both, Silent Way is cheap enough to not be a worry having both. I get 7 octaves out of a 2408mk and the CS-30 take a look at the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo_ddH5bDkk&feature=player_embedded
alsostarring
I'm outside...
I'll be back in 3 days so I'll try

thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1