MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How do the Wow & Flutter controls work???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> SNAZZY FX  
Author How do the Wow & Flutter controls work???
stellvia
Hi all,

Got my new Wow & Flutter yesterday from Equinoxoz. Had some fun messing around with it and have got the hang of some of the functions of it, but not completely clear about the rest.

Would love some clarification from Dan, or others about the features of the Wow & Flutter and what they do!

Here's where I'm a bit uncertain.

I understand (sort of) how the Threshold and Env O work as the control and output for the inbuilt envelope follower.

Not sure how the Attack and Decay controls factor into this, are they part of the the envelope follower, or do they have another function (included with this is the Decay CV in). Do they work in conjunction with the Warp control? What do they actually do?!?

How does the Env CV in affect the Wow & Flutter, i.e. what does this parameter actually change?

The Depth knob, is it purely an attenuator for the Depth CV in, does it do something else when no CV is plugged in?

Finally, how does the Gain and Threshold functions interact? The manual for the pedal version makes it clear that different settings of each will have drastic changes on the sound...

Would love some clarification on these features! applause

Even without having a full understanding of the module, it still sounds fantastic nanners
jimi23
Yeah would love to have a bit more info also. The pedal does not have depth?? Does it only effect when the env is triggered? How does it differ from the warp control?
HIMA
i think you'll find a lot of answers here

ok, not a lot... some.
loss1234
Ok people let me explain

MANUAL WILL BE COMING EVENTUALLY BUT FOR NOW

YOU CAN READ THE ORIIGNAL MANUAL HERE:

http://snazzyfx.com/wowandfluttermanual.pdf

OK so let me start by saying

THE DEPTH CONTROL is only the CV AMOUNT CONTROL FOR DELAY CV IN
THE DECAY JACK is the CV INPUT FOR DECAY (it provides offset to the decay based on the CV coming in...there is no attenuator for this)

THE ENV input OVER-RIDES the envelope content of your input signal

THE INPUT GAIN works just like in the pedal. as you turn it up, you basically change the gain of incoming signal.

the attack and decay and warp ARE ALL INTERCONNECTED.
so think of it this way. ALWAYS START WITH WARP ALL THE WAY UP if you are trying to determine if the threshold is set properly.

an easy way to learn the wow and flutter is to start by putting a sound into it which stops and starts. maybe a kick drum or a snare drum which is triggered every 8 beats. or a bassline with rests.

so set your gain to ten to start. put threshold to zero.
put attack to zero and decay to 10. the decay setting is very important. the way the wow and flutter works, you want to start with decay on 10.

so watch the little LED. as you turn the threshold to the right (with your attack on zero and decay on 10 and warp on 10) you will see the LED light up IN TIME with the music and as you set your threshold properly, you will see the LED LIGHT UP in time as well.

if you have the WET/DRY set to wet, you will begin to hear the delay speed up and slow down. and weird effects will ensue.
you can then detune the delay to taste by bringing the WARP CONTROL DOWN A BIT. OR A LOT. (you can get nice mixes of delay and warp by trying to find the right point in the middle)

also...this is when you start messing with the attack and decay controls.

dont forget to try to tunr the FEEDBACK MODE TO B, putting feedback to about 90% for MUCH LONGER feedback. IF YOU WANT IT TO GO CRAZY!!! TURN IT UP TO 100!!! woo hoo

but just remember

WARP ATTACK AND DECAY ARE ALL CONNECTED TOGETHER

AND THIS BLOCK OF CONTROLS ONLY WORKS IF THRESHOLD IS SET TO TRIGGER ON SOME SORT OF PEAK

AND IF THE WARP IS AT zero, it wont change anything!!

NOW< PLUG IN A CV CONTROL INTO THE DELAY CV AND THE DECAY CV

START BRINGING UP DEPTH FOR THE DELAY CV

AND START MESSING WITH THE DECAY KNOB AND DECAY CV

FOR A FUN EXPERIMENT, TAKE THE ENV OUT (ENVELOPE FOLLOWER OUTPUT) AND PLUG IT BACK INTO THE DECAY OR DELAY CV INPUTS!!

ANOTHER FUN EXPERIMENT IS TO TAKE THE FULLY WET OUTPUT AND PLUG IT INTO THE ENV IN JACK!!

THIS WILL MAKE THE WOW TRIGGER OFF OF THE DELAYS INSTEAD OF THE INPUT AMPLITUDE!!

also...other fun can be had by taking the env out and plugging it into the CV IN of a LOW PASS FILTER that is connected to the input signal BEFORE it hits the wow and flutter! turn up the resonance on the filter, and play with the threshold on the wow....weird stuff will happen!

DONT FORGET TO TRY SWITCHING THE JUMPER IN THE BACK OF THE MODULE FROM SHORT TO LONG!!

ASK ANY MORE QUESTIONS

I still have some for sale too

best

Dan
stellvia
Thanks heaps for that Dan thumbs up

Awesome module applause
lloydcole
HIMA wrote:
i think you'll find a lot of answers here

ok, not a lot... some.

This is hugely helpful. Is there any ETA on a full operator's manual?
I have owned this module for maybe 3 weeks now. After the first 2 weeks I had resolved to sell it. Reading a few of these discussions and experimenting and listening to module I have changed my mind, but I would never have thought of selling if the potential of the module was immediately apparent.
loss1234
well i guess i ought to get around to making a full manual!

sometimes as a one man company it can be hard to find time to design NEW stuff, support current stuff, and OLD stuff, as well as do e-mails, distribution, shipping and forum posting smile

so the manuals sometimes get forgotten and for that I do apologize.

besides what I wrote in an above post, are there any specifics you would like to see in the manual?

or anything you want to contribute? a favorite patch? etc

expect manual in the next few weeks for Wow and Flutter.
lloydcole
loss1234 wrote:
well i guess i ought to get around to making a full manual!

sometimes as a one man company it can be hard to find time to design NEW stuff, support current stuff, and OLD stuff, as well as do e-mails, distribution, shipping and forum posting smile

so the manuals sometimes get forgotten and for that I do apologize.

besides what I wrote in an above post, are there any specifics you would like to see in the manual?

or anything you want to contribute? a favorite patch? etc

expect manual in the next few weeks for Wow and Flutter.

Understood, and you have my sympathies. I'm taking my one day off on tour this week to do logistics for the next tour, and I'm not particularly happy about it but I am also a one man company...

I look forward to the manual. All I'm looking for is simple explanation of what all the knobs and inputs do, and how they may or may not interact with each other.
loss1234
just in the meantime, make sure to read the
wow and flutter stompbox manual as the
structure is the same ( under the INSTRUCTION TAB on
snazzyfx.com)

also refer to my LOOOONG post above

i always start with gain at 10 , attack ay zero
decay at 10, warp to taste ( full FX at 10,
regular delay is warp at zero)

then i adjust threshold till led turns on and
off the way i like it

THEN i adjust attack / decay
and the rubber sounds are crazier at long delay times

dont forget to try the jumper in the back
from short to long

( secret feature)

once i get the attack / decay where i want
i then add CV of delay or decay

(most of the time)

and i love using the warp control to dial
in Just the right amount of weirdness

and dont forget to patch your env out
into the cv on of a filter OR your WET out back
into your ENV IN!!! that gets crazy

hope this helps a little bit

shipping modules as we speak

best
evs
yes, but even in the old manual fro the pedal, there is no simple explanation of what the control do..
i find a manual that just says what i should try out and how.. not very helpful..

so, a very simple description would help.
what does the attack time do?
is it the attack for the warp effect to come through after the internal threshold got passed?
Decay too..so with a short decay one just hears the warp effect very short after the threshold got passed..

its really simple, please try to describe it, should not take too much of your time.. very technical. it will NOT steal the magic of your module!!
evs
After Playing a bit more with it, it occurs to me that the "warp" is just an LFO modulating the delay time.. The higher, the more the mod density and LFO speed.. True?

The threshold than sets the point where this LFO will begin to modulate.
The attack and the decay are a bit more tricky.. If the threshold got crossed downwards the decay will alter the warp function..

I would very much prefere to have cv over the feedback than over the decay.. I found the difference with the decay function rather subtle.. But maybe that's different if you use more percussive style sounds.. I do drones or pads mostly..

I very much like to patch the envelope out to the delay time.. That's more wow and flutter than the warp:-)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> SNAZZY FX  
Page 1 of 1