MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Edirol V4 and MIDI
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Edirol V4 and MIDI
zapp550
Finally got around to picking up a video mixer to pair up my LZX and i'm loving how much i'm able to do with. I tried reading through the manual online and the information on MIDI integration seems confusing hmmm..... , but i'm no MIDI expert. I know there's other people using the Edirol V4 here, and I was wondering if any of you have been succesful in using the MIDI end of the mixer?
nickciontea
i dont' use the midi. mostly finger drum the channel selects.

I know johnny has talked about using the midi in few threads.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59546&highlight=midi
waveglider
MIDI implementation is very non-intuitive from what I remember and it works much better receiving MIDI commands than setting it up to transmit them.
What are you trying to do with it?
zapp550
nickciontea wrote:
i dont' use the midi. mostly finger drum the channel selects.

I know johnny has talked about using the midi in few threads.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59546&highlight=midi

Thanks, i'll have to try diggin through vjforums to find more info.
zapp550
waveglider wrote:
MIDI implementation is very non-intuitive from what I remember and it works much better receiving MIDI commands than setting it up to transmit them.
What are you trying to do with it?

The MIDI specs laid out in the manual are very confusing. My end goal MIDI wise is to be able to send out cc's fom my Octatrack, specifically the LFO's. I gave it a shot the first day I had it and managed to get it boucing around selecting different channels but that's about it.
waveglider
There is an old V4 MAX/MSP patch for OS9 and I took some of the text from the manual on how to set up the V4 to receive MIDI, hope this helps:

------

Receiving MIDI channel on V4 should be set to 1 (MENU / MIDI SETUP /MIDI Rx CHANNEL).

V-LINK should be off (MENU / MIDI SETUP /V-LINK).

Note Mode should be off (MENU / MIDI SETUP /NOTE MODE).

V-4 Mode should be set to “Normal Mode” (MODE / UTILITY / V-4 MODE).

MIDI assignments in V-4 (MENU / MIDI SETUP) should be following:
Effects-A1 Assign - cc 1
Effects-A2 Assign - cc 2
Effects-A3 Assign - cc 3
Effects-A4 Assign - cc 4
Effects-B1 Assign - cc 5
Effects-B2 Assign - cc 7
Effects-B3 Assign - cc 8
Effects-B4 Assign - cc 9
Video fader Assign - cc 10
Transition Assign - cc 11
Transformer-A Assign - cc 12
Transformer-B Assign - cc 13
BPM/Sync Assign - cc 14
Transition Time Assign - cc 15
Output Fade Assign - cc 16

MIDI controller should transmit all the continuous controller messages on MIDI channel 1.

MIDI CONNECTIONS TROUBLESHOOTING HINT
V-4 has few diagnostic modes. They are enbled when specific keys are pressed on power up. To find out the keypresses, press TAP when you power up V-4. The list of keypresses appears on preview screen. I wouldn’t suggest you to mess with the SET MODE and MIDI UPDATE. Some of the settings obviously alter the way this mixer works. I have no idea what these settings do. If you ask me, don’t touch these two menus! However, other functions can be very helpfull. One of them is TEST MODE (MENU + ENTER keys). When you start it, menu with different test appears on the screen. One of them is MIDI-In/Out. With this test, you can see raw MIDI messages as they come into V-4. They do not make much sense (just numbers), but you can confirm that MIDI is coming to V-4 if you are not shure if you made proper connections.
mr_coops
I've used midi on the v4 a little bit both receiving and giving out signals. I have only used it with software and ipad. I sometimes use one computer to create a midi clock which I then can send to other midi devices thus requiring only one tap tempo button to bring all gear to the same time. I have also used it to map into able ton to use as triggers and fade.
The last time I played around with it I made a touchOSC template to remotely control the V4.
If you have a midi interface and a computer I recommend using
Midipipe - OSX - http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html
Midiox - PC - http://www.midiox.com/

These will enable you to look at the midi messages being sent out by the V4.
i.m.klif
i wrote the max patch that waveglider refers to.

i don't own v4 any longer, but i do remember a lot, and probably still have a patch, altough it's a mess...

is there anything specific thing you would like to do with it?

klif
i.m.klif
p.s. the old os9 patch should work with new version of max on osx/windows. i didn't use any third party components so it should be fully compatible.
i.m.klif
i just checked, and the patch is still here
http://boo.mi2.hr/~klif/V-4/

i tested it using max6 (there is a 30 dayfully functional demo and completely free runtime version) and it should work fine (there were no error messages).

let me know if you need any help
giantmecha
Does anyone know what exactly MIDI Note Mode is on the V-4? Thanks.
nerdware
From reading the manual, it looks to me like Note Mode only does one thing. 8 note values can be used to select inputs 1-4 for either channel A or B. Velocity controls the transition time. However, I've yet to use MIDI to control my V-4 so I can't comment on its use.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1