MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

bugs vs serge
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author bugs vs serge
sandyb
first experiment patching bugbrand to serge.
pt delay vs klangzeit. sound source is a pinged bugs filter.

[bctrack]2187819742[/bctrack]
rezzn8r
love love love
modular delays FTW!
phisynth
applause Very nice, sandy. How come I didn't try that before... thumbs up
Each one have such a distinctive character, but they blend nicely together.
Care to share some details about the patch ? Are they patched serially or in parallel in your signal flow ?
weinglas
Battle of the delays we're not worthy
Great sounds Sandy It's peanut butter jelly time!
sandyb
thanks smile

the patch was pretty simple really.

audio was: pinged bugs filter into serge frequency shifter into res eq into bugs delay into wad.

some bugs logic stuff/lfos into serge pulse divider for pinging the filter and providing timing pulses for everything.

i used right side of a timegen osc to modulate the bugs delay and a bugs sequencer to modulate the wad (channel a).

one of the little things that added quite a bit to the sound was modulating the frequency shifter frequency input with the flanging output of the wad.
sandyb
oops MY ASS IS BLEEDING
richard
excellent. Reminds of some old patches I used to get into on the Nord Modular

thumbs up thumbs up
a100user
Nice
Bricks
nice! has an awesomely weird sense of space / hifi bitcrushed abstract tin can feel.
KNYST
Excellent. Reminds me of early Cabaret Voltaire stuff - just add a reciting voice smile
tIB
Wonderful! I caught some of this the other day but it cut off short... at first I thought you'd taken the rather arty step of making a 14 second track!

Be very interested to know your bug/serge comparisons once you've spent more time. Ive so far avoided serge since I felt the two might be too similar in approach, slews aside!
richard
TiB, there are similar in approach in some ways, but the VCOs, VCFs, Shaping, VCAs, delay, Frequency Shifter and envelopes all sound very different. And it has LPGs....

which is just about everything smile
phisynth
^ agreed, they are very different, despite the banana approach.
It just doesn't sound the same and complement each other quite well. In Bugs you also have digital OSC and delay (E350/PT Delay), joysticks, the ENV1 response is really different than say, a DUSG,

and also, regarding utilities modules, the active switches module doesn't exist (anymore) in Serge, no equivalent of the 2 bit bin Mux, diode director, gate delay/hold.

On the opposite, in Serge you have real ADSR's, res EQ, comparators and also one thing I find essential, and missing in Bugs (to my knowledge), is the ability to add a DC offset in most of the CV mixer modules (CV mixer, dual processor, Mix Pro) and of course, WAD and phasers
tIB
Interesting (although apologies for the slight derail sandy), its more apples and pairs than I thought then. I knew sound wise there were differences but assumed the approach to patching would be similar. When I started out I always thought I'd end up with a serge... strange that I landed the Buchla then, though I do think that has a very different approach. Anyways, even of my jibber jabber!
sandyb
hmm.
bandcamp seem to have done something odd with their single track embedding.

while i wait for an answer from them here's a link to serge vs bugs take 2.
more delay and frequency shifter nonsense It's peanut butter jelly time!

http://emptynoises.bandcamp.com/track/serge-bugs-2

on the subject of serge and bugs. they are pretty different (in my admittedly limited experience). but, they do go *really* well together. at the moment both fill in a few gaps i have in the other system quite nicely.
KNYST
nice pings. liked that high pitched "tick" sound.
phisynth
Lovely noises ! It's peanut butter jelly time!
sandyb
bugs and serge frequency shifters fighting.

http://emptynoises.bandcamp.com/track/a-tale-of-2-frequency-shifters
darenager
Ace!
weinglas
thumbs up applause It's peanut butter jelly time!
shady smiles
Brilliant tracks sandyb! I'm just starting to explore bug land, also surveying from a Serge perspective and these tracks and this conversation are especially topical.

Any more thoughts on the pairing? I love inviting Ciat-Lonbarde to the Serge dance (esp. tetrax and plumbutter); I'm thinking I need to broaden my horizons to a threesome! smile
KNYST
Do a search for "bugbrand serge" and you'll find more tracks and discussions.
Wiggler phisynth uses both + ciat lombarde, check his stuff out.
Nelson Baboon
bug, fenix, serge, ciat-lonbarde, kilpatrick...they all work well together....

sometimes it's nice to work within one aesthetic as much as possible, sometimes it's nice to mix them up.
Bricks
omnomnomnomnomn Guinness ftw! screaming goo yo
shady smiles
KNYST wrote:
Do a search for "bugbrand serge" and you'll find more tracks and discussions.
Wiggler phisynth uses both + ciat lombarde, check his stuff out.

thumbs up Awesome. A treasure trove. Thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1