MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The eternal question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author The eternal question
ex_dead_teenager
Should I send for my Buchla now or wait a few more months until I have ordered more modules?

Right now I have:
a control voltage processor,
an oscillator
a ratchet
a signal router
and a filter

I'm thinking about waiting until I have the lowpass gates, the quad function gen, and an SOU but I'm impatient and that's going to be at least four months from now if my financial situation remains the same.

my question to you all is whether my case at B&A has enough modules to make some kind of interesting patches or am I being premature in wanting to send for it now?
Moog$FooL$
hey hey!!

u r back. how were your travels??

oh yeah....... the ques.

buy it now!!!!!
panda30y
I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun with just those modules. Hell a 261e or 259e alone is enough fun for sometime. That ratchet is pretty nifty as well, and even though i feel the filters are sort of generic, the modulations you can do on the filters are unlike any other filter, so plenty of fun. Also, you'll probably learn how to use the modules by themselves better and perhaps even think of patches you normally wouldn't if you had the other modules.

Otherwise, if you really want to save on the shipping, I suppose you can wait. hmmm..... Basically just buy it! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time!
ex_dead_teenager
it's already bought it's just sitting in B&A waiting for me to tell Don to pop it in the mail.

I think this is a good idea from my previous Buchla encounters I know the modules are really freaking dense I could probably get more out of using what I've got now than waiting and since audio uses 1/8th inch jacks I can always use the VCAs on my eurorack and live without Buchla envelopes or LFOs for a while.

I'll call him tomorrow and ask him to mail the thing. waiting would save o shipping but in the end the bulk of that will be in the case and the size of the thing little modules would not be that pricey right? besides there's the satisfaction of putting them in myself. I'll just need to get cables and a shipping case and I can do that with my next cheque I think.

Two more questions:

can the CV processor take a pulse or gate signal and (using breakpoints) create LFO type waveshapes at the other end?

and has anyone tried using the CV section of the router and the Pendulum Ratchet to control an oscillator by making stepped CV?

I've had interesting results creating a crude sequencer in my eurorack by taking a clock divider and a CV Mixer and using the mixer to change the gate signal into something you can control a pitch source with. Could you do something like that with the Ratchet?
cbm
I dunno, I think I would wait at least until you got got a 281e. The Pendulum/Ratchet pulses are too narrow to be of any use in the scenario you present.

For my money, the three modules that you really need are a 261e (or 259e), a 281e, and a 292e.
ex_dead_teenager
Well I've got the 261e already, bummer about the ratchet pulses but it's better to hear that from the builder than find out on my own I'm just itching to get my hands on this thing! I need to think more about whether to send for it now or wait, last time I talked to Don he was cool with holding it for me until I had more modules I know what I have isn't a complete system by any stretch.

ugh.
ex_dead_teenager
in the mean time if anyone wants to sell me some second hand 200e stuff like a 281e and a 292e I'd be thrilled to give you money in exchange for goods and services.
wetterberg
ex_dead_teenager wrote:
Right now I have:
a control voltage processor,
an oscillator
a ratchet
a signal router
and a filter
uhm, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want all that loveliness sitting at B&A any damned way - the oscillator alone will make a wonderful racket SlayerBadger!
Lyonel
Tell Mr Buchla that i would like to make wonderful racket too ! hyper
prscrptn
If you wait, you can save the additional shipping charges for the second round of modules, and Don will probably include more cables.

I know this is trivial, but it should save you at least $150, maybe more...
ex_dead_teenager
good advice I think since I can't fake LFOs with the CV processor and the Ratchet and can't do sequencing with the ratchet and the router and since I'll be without any VCAs and no real mixer I'll wait until I've got the SOU the Quad Dynamics and Quad Functions luckily most of the modules I've still got to get are less expensive on the Buchla food chain.
DGTom
I think the pure rush of getting the whole kit & kaboodle in one hit would totally outwiegh the little extra wait, I know its modular & getting to know each module in depth would be cool but I can't help thinking that a Buchla without the 266e/281e/292e would kinda be like getting a really nice acoustic guitar with 3 strings missing grin
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1