MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Interest check: panels for hexinverter.net DIY modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Interest check: panels for hexinverter.net DIY modules
kurodama
NOTICE: I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not going to make these panels. While I received some positive response, the demand for these panels is just too low. Nobody is going to pay 50€ for a panel, but that's what it would end up costing. So I'm keeping this thread here for reference, but please consider this project closed and abandoned.

BUT…
Since there is still some interest for these I have now cc'd these panels. You can download the source files here: https://copy.com/ZZltDUFOXpGmQEYq

These panel designs are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

You can use this as a basis for your own panels and even sell them, but adaptations must be shared using the same license.
Attribution for the panel design should go to "Papernoise" or "Hannes Pasqualini – Papernoise", if possible please include my website URL.

The font used on these panels is a free one called Roboto, which can be found online here: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/roboto

The title font used for the module names is Miso and can be found here: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Miso

If you want to SUPPORT MY WORK, you can go here and buy a print, mug, t-shirt of phone cover (and more):
http://society6.com/papernoise

WARNING: modular synths can lead to heavy addiction. Do not exceed the recommended dayly amount.

I'm currently building the various NeinOhNein modules from hexinverter and was thinking about making some custom panels for them. As you might know I'm doing some graphic design for different module makers (hexinverter.net, Mutable Instrument) so it's just natural for me to think in this direction.
Now, I don't like plexy for module panels, it bends too easily and it not as good looking as aluminium. I'd like to have some panels made from Sch�ffer, but as you might know it's not really a great deal if you just make some for yourself. So I was wondering if anybody could be interested in some of these panels?
I just want to know if someone is interested, if I get enough interest I'll start to design and you can then still decide if you want to commit to buying them or not, so this is just for me to get a feeling for the situation.
If you want to see what kind of thinks I make check this page:
http://www.papernoise.net/category/portfolio/instruments/
The new Mutable Instruments modules are not there yet, because production is still in progress... but you have seen them around haven't you?

btw. I'm in Europe, so I think this is probably more interesting for people on this side of the globe. Also I know that re:synthesis is offering panels for the NeinOhNein modules in the US

edit: Re:Synthesis in in the UK, of course...

edit2:
- panels will be eurorack (as previously mentioned)
- sizes: KICK 12HP, all others 8HP (Have only drafted kick, snare and clap yet)
- the Kick panel will have holes for the two mods (pitch and overdrive), making 6 pots, that's why it's a bit bigger

here's some first renders for the panels

edit 3

I finally have some prices!
Keep in mind that these are still very rough but you get the idea.
The prices depends a bit on how many people decide to commit, so I'm giving you the prices for 3 quantites: 10 panels, 20 panels, 50 panels.

NeinOhNein Kick
10p: 33�
20p: 25�
50p: 21�

NeinOhNein Snare/Clap
10p: 29�
20p: 23�
50p: 19�

The Postman EG
10p: 41�
20p: 32�
50p: 26�

Shipping is of course not included.
hexinverter
kurodama wrote:
I'm currently building the various NeinOhNein modules from hexinverter and was thinking about making some custom panels for them. As you might know I'm doing some graphic design for different module makers (hexinverter.net, Mutable Instrument) so it's just natural for me to think in this direction.
Now, I don't like plexy for module panels, it bends too easily and it not as good looking as aluminium. I'd like to have some panels made from Schäffer, but as you might know it's not really a great deal if you just make some for yourself. So I was wondering if anybody could be interested in some of these panels?
I just want to know if someone is interested, if I get enough interest I'll start to design and you can then still decide if you want to commit to buying them or not, so this is just for me to get a feeling for the situation.
If you want to see what kind of thinks I make check this page:
http://www.papernoise.net/category/portfolio/instruments/
The new Mutable Instruments modules are not there yet, because production is still in progress... but you have seen them around haven't you?

btw. I'm in Europe, so I think this is probably more interesting for people on this side of the globe. Also I know that re:synthesis is offering panels for the NeinOhNein modules in the US

Sounds awesome Hannes!

I would like to correct you there though -- Re:Synthesis is in Europe as well. The UK, specifically thumbs up
Dude163
what price range do you think these will be?

Im getting some made for the kick and snare by a pal, but if I could always do with extras smile
kurodama
oh you're right... I was totally convinced that they are in the US... sorry for the mistake and thanks for correcting!
kurodama
Dude163 wrote:
what price range do you think these will be?

Im getting some made for the kick and snare by a pal, but if I could always do with extras smile

That really depends on how many people join in. Right now I'd like to have them made by Schaeffer, but I'm also looking at other solutions.
I would like these to be photoprint anodized aluminium, which has a relatively high set-up cost but a quite low production cost. Meaning that one panel will cost you €50 but if you have 20 made the price goes down quite a bit.
I don't think these panels should cots more than €20, actually I think something around €10-15 would be good.
kurodama
update: I'd also make a panel for the Postman EG from Hexinverter is anybody is interested...
I'll have an update soon with prices.
regenbot
I'm definitely interested, thumbs up
izmanauz
I'm interested too.
lucid
which format are we talking about here?
I am in MU, and for that price range it could be interesting
gwaidan
Interested!
kurodama
lucid wrote:
which format are we talking about here?
I am in MU, and for that price range it could be interesting

Sorry no MU, only Eurorack. Sorry for not mentioning that right away.
kurodama
quick update... I've been really kept up from doing anything lately by this thing here, which needs my daily attention: http://www.dealsrunner.com/
But I'm currently checking prices and trying to figure out the logistics, so just hold on a little bit. I'll start to work on a first design next, so you can also see what it's going to look like.
kurodama
Hi again!
I had a bit of a rough week, but now I'm back. I've already started to design some panels, and I'll have something to show shortly.
In the meantime some more specs and infos:
- panels will be eurorack (as previously mentioned)
- sizes: KICK 12HP, all others 8HP (Have only drafted kick, snare and clap yet)
- the Kick panel will have holes for the two mods (pitch and overdrive), making 6 pots, that's why it's a bit bigger

I still don't have a precise quote for the manufacturing, because I need the designs first. Right now I'd like them to be in colour, something along the blue-orange colours used in the original TR-909.

Knob size is quite crucial in regards to good panel design, and also something one needs to consider when using pot gradients and when placing text labels.
Right now I'm tending to work with the good ol' Davis-style knobs http://www.musikding.de/Mini-curlknob-black in black, though some nice dark grey knobs would be cooler!
But basically I'd leave it to the builder to choose the knobs.

I'll report back soon with some panel renders!
kurodama
So finally, here's some first ideas for the panels!
For the NeinOhNein panels I'd like to go with something reminiscent of the original TR-909, but not too literal. In the end I settled for taking the colour scheme (orange and dark desaturated blue).
For the Postman I'm keeping it more aligned to the designs I've been making for other hexinverter panels like the vcNOIZ and the Jupiter Storm.
Let me know what you think.

stainers
Lookin good, keep an eye on that spappy snare

E: and I know they're jus trials but you've got an inconsistency with the orange around the level on one of them
mckenic
NICE!

I could see a quad Postman & Kick in my future (If I ever get my kick pcb in lighting that I can see the writing to build it!!!) :-)
hexinverter
kurodama wrote:
So finally, here's some first ideas for the panels!
For the NeinOhNein panels I'd like to go with something reminiscent of the original TR-909, but not too literal. In the end I settled for taking the colour scheme (orange and dark desaturated blue).
For the Postman I'm keeping it more aligned to the designs I've been making for other hexinverter panels like the vcNOIZ and the Jupiter Storm.
Let me know what you think.

Looks awesome man! grin screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo

One nitpick -- The Postman creates Attack/Release envelopes, not Attack/Decay which I think you have them labelled as smile Don't want to confuse anyone!!! This is fun!
kurodama
hexinverter wrote:
One nitpick -- The Postman creates Attack/Release envelopes, not Attack/Decay which I think you have them labelled as smile Don't want to confuse anyone!!! This is fun!

yeah of course! I got a bit confused I guess! Will correct that!

Quote:
and I know they're jus trials but you've got an inconsistency with the orange around the level on one of them

True, that's because I had tried putting those coloured labels first, but have ditched then later. As you say... still trials. But thanks for mentioning it smile
kurodama
it's been all corrected now, thanks!
I shouldn't work so late I guess confused
hexinverter
kurodama wrote:
it's been all corrected now, thanks!
I shouldn't work so late I guess confused

Haha it happens to all of us man thumbs up

Me, more so than others I think Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana
kurodama
of course if anybody has suggestions for other DIY projects that don't have a panel, or could use an alternate one, just let me know!
kurodama
I finally have some prices!
Keep in mind that these are still very rough but you get the idea.
The prices depends a bit on how many people decide to commit, so I'm giving you the prices for 3 quantites: 10 panels, 20 panels, 50 panels.

NeinOhNein Kick
10p: 33€
20p: 25€
50p: 21€

NeinOhNein Snare/Clap
10p: 29€
20p: 23€
50p: 19€

The Postman EG
10p: 41€
20p: 32€
50p: 26€

Shipping is of course not included.

So who wants some!
If you're interested tell me which panel/s you want and in which quantity
kurodama
Anybody is interested?
mckenic
Id go for a Postman and Kick if we could get the 50 people break!

thumbs up
kurodama
let's see if we break the 50 people barrier. Not that I need exactly 50 people, I'd make some more anyway...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3