MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Bike Touring with Eurorack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Bike Touring with Eurorack
jimmyambulance
Hi all,
Wasn't sure if I should put this in "DIY" or "Performance" but I figured I'd start here. I'm going on a bicycle tour down the East Coast (US) playing shows for two weeks in October and I've been trying to figure out my rig for the past couple of months. I use an Octatrack at the center of my setup but I need at least 2 synth voices to go along with it. I tried a Virus TI Snow, but there's almost no tweakability on the box and routing the CC values through the Octatrack wasn't doing it for me. I'm interested in the Analog4, but I love the eccentricities of using the modular, and even though it isn't the most convenient, I still think of the modular as "my instrument" and need to bring it along.

So: I'll be riding for about 10 days, between ~30 to 90 miles a day. With all of that bumping and bouncing around, what do you think is the best way to secure this stuff? Am I a fool to try? I have a Monorocket boat that I'm thinking of using, but I'm wondering if I'll need something to absorb the shock of being on the road.

Any wigglers out there bicycle tour? DIY bike trailers? Just interested in generating some discussion around this weird idea - Thanks!
filmersam
Cool idea!

I'd think you could easily transport some instruments in one of those trailers.
Maybe get some thick foam to absorb any large shocks?
Remember to keep it all dry.

Good luck!
stk
Awesome idea!

I recently saw a woman perform who tours around Australia with a full-size cello, pedalboard and laptop on one of those large touring bicycles with a trailer kind of built-in.

I'd vote for a bike trailer well-padded with foam, and of course sealed from the weather. MAybe lockable, too, if you ever need to leave it unattended.

Edit for pic:

The trailer is also a solar charger for the laptop.

http://www.switched.com/2010/08/31/touring-cellist-kristin-rule-takes- to-the-road-on-solar-bicycle/

cephalopod
My primary method of transportation is bicycling, and i've been thinking about how to best transport my modular for performances. By some strange coincidence about 5 minutes after reading this post, I was offered a free bike trailer out of the blue. Weird, right?
My plan will probably be to get some squishy foam and make a nice nest of sorts for it in the trailer. Not sure what to do about protecting it from moisture. Hopefully something more elegant than putting a trash bag over it...
ignatius
i'd say a trailer w/some kind of padding/foam to eat up the vibrations.

sounds like a great trip though. make sure you water proof the shit out of that trailer! get a nice big dry bag.
jimmyambulance
ignatius wrote:

sounds like a great trip though. make sure you water proof the shit out of that trailer! get a nice big dry bag.

yeah, it's looking like i'll pick up something like the Burley Nomad. i need to measure, but that should be plenty of room for 6U and an Octatrack. i'll probably wrap them in foam, then put them in a dry bag - the trailer is supposed to be waterproof, so hopefully i won't have to worry about weather.

should be a really fun trip - i'm looking forward to it and wondering what it's going to be like trying to ride ~65 miles then perform a show. should be interesting... at least for me.

Rockin' Banana!

jumbomonkey
jimmyambulance wrote:
ignatius wrote:

yeah, it's looking like i'll pick up something like the Burley Nomad. i need to measure, but that should be plenty of room for 6U and an Octatrack. i'll probably wrap them in foam, then put them in a dry bag - the trailer is supposed to be waterproof, so hopefully i won't have to worry about weather.

should be a really fun trip - i'm looking forward to it and wondering what it's going to be like trying to ride ~65 miles then perform a show. should be interesting... at least for me.

Rockin' Banana!

Re: foam:

was always curious if it is possible, to get some custom foam thing made to encase whatever it goes in, like for traveling on planes, or what your doing. Would be good to have more permanent solution rather than wraping it up each time.
prinsen
This is my ride at the moment:
http://omniumcargo.dk/real-world-omniums/.

So fun and easy to handle and able to carry myself + more than 200 punds. I've woven a nice flexible and shock absorbing surface out of used bike tubes over the cargo frame.

I'm sure you can find something similar in the US, although a trailer will be the cheaper solution.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1