MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

my Klee
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author my Klee
consumed
i finally got it done! i have some troubleshooting to do, but the core functionality is working fine after a couple repairs today.
i built it in a cheap wooden "art box" since this was my first major panel design and i wasnt sure the optimal layout.
the klee has two modes: 8x2 or 16x1.
it runs from left to right on the top row, and right to left on the bottom.
when in 16x1, the leds chase each other in a rectangle.
this is a really strange sequencer but very conducive to experimentation.

it is self powered (with a blacet supply) and everything is contained in the suitcase.

Kwote
damn that looks fresh! that's a grip of wires :shock: smile
J.w.M.
Superb-looking wiring. Nice enclosure, too. Awesome pics!
flts
Wow, that looks like a good job, congrats.

<rant>

One thing I absolutely hate about DIY electronics is wiring... Trying to get my mic pre / DI and stereo bus compressor wired neatly almost made me lose my mind. Toying around with ideas is fun (just managed to trigger MIDI with a piezo trigger + Arduino yesterday \o/), PCB stuffing is fun in a meditative kind of way... But goddamn, every time I get to the wiring phase, I spend ages with it and never end up being happy with the results. I can't find the right connectors so I just end up soldering all the leads directly to the board, I always run out of shrink tube, et cetera.

Everything works and I never seem to have huge grounding / shielding issues and hum, though, so maybe I should just be happy about that.

</rant>
sandyb
that's looking really good! it would be great to see a video of it in action when you have the time.
consumed
thanks for the feedback =)
ill definitely make a video. i have to learn how to fly the thing.
some of the functionality makes it seem like its malfunctioning. but its not.
its some alien Heart of Gold contraption.
Muff Wiggler
holy crap consumed!!! very very nice work. The Klee is indeed the nicest looking sequencer I know of, sick sick options with that thing.

You've done an awesome job there. It looks like that art box is PERFECTLY SIZED for this project, you must have been relieved when there was enough clearance with that power supply to close the lid.

Awesome job, congrats 8)
consumed
yeah it was really weird how the psu just fit about perfectly in there.
so perfectly that the lid of the psu doesnt fit.

i have a lot of extra power.
i was thinking of wiring an external power connector in the box (like a speakon) so i can use it for other modules. maybe for a separate wiard controller (jag and joystick). ok, thats a plan!

oh yeah, i have to reattach the carry handle, so i can pimp it briefcase style. =)
occupant
well done!

that's really clean.. I bet it was a blast to build smile
felix
Yeah! That looks style as all hell! 8)
consumed
here's one of my first vids of the klee.
i turned the lights out so the leds could be seen easier.

http://vimeo.com/938224
sgnhh
Can you give me a link to the schematic for this?
J.w.M.
Wow! Great video. That thing looks amazing. The left-to-right on the top and right-to-left on the bottom row looks nicely logical in practice.
Thanks!
consumed
the Klee's home is here, with all docs:

http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-155.html

i would highly suggest you pick up a component kit from state machine, along with the pcbs from the electro-music store. you will have to source your own hardware, but theres a few BOMs in some threads over there to help out (and i can help out with recommendations too).
Kwote
consumed wrote:
here's one of my first vids of the klee.
i turned the lights out so the leds could be seen easier.

http://vimeo.com/938224

Holy shit man. :shock: that ruled!!
krisp14u
congratulations
that look a superb job
I must get my klee finished cry
consumed
one more video up, running a little slower =)

http://loopcycle.blogspot.com/2008/04/first-impression-of-electro-musi ccom.html
sandyb
thanks for the videos smile
Kwote
sandyb wrote:
thanks for the videos smile

2nded. any chance of a download? i'm getting klee envy over here.
sgnhh
Thanks for posting this, I just saw your other Klee topic and I ordered both a parts kit (time frame on that is ending soon--good timing!) and the boards. This should be a fun project.
plord
I put in my Mouser order for Klee panel parts this week, it might be here tomorrow. I'm going for a 3U rack in Wiard blue and with the celtic eagles on it, sliders, bigass momentaries, NKK switches for everything...should be bombproof but ow $$$.

Cardboard panel prototype this weekend, I hope! smile
Kent
plord, where are you getting your metal work done? It's the part of kit building that I detest; mostly because I'm a slob.

Consumed: How long did it take for your Component Kit from State Machine to show up? I'm still awaiting mine and I ordered it about 27 days ago. I am, however -like a good strike or bad service- located in France...

The PCBs showed up weeks ago & I ordered them at the same time.

Thanks, y'all.
sandyb
Kent wrote:
plord, where are you getting your metal work done? It's the part of kit building that I detest; mostly because I'm a slob.

Consumed: How long did it take for your Component Kit from State Machine to show up? I'm still awaiting mine and I ordered it about 27 days ago. I am, however -like a good strike or bad service- located in France...

The PCBs showed up weeks ago & I ordered them at the same time.

Thanks, y'all.

Kent,
my component kit took a while - i'm in Ireland. i think he's waiting for the ordering window to close before bagging them up and sending them out - that's what happened with mine. fear not - it will arrive - in a jiffy bag with lots of smiley stickers!
sandy
plord
Kent wrote:
I'm going to drop the coin on a panel from FPE. I am still trying to figure out how to mount the sliders and PCBs to that panel so I don't have to add 32 screw holes to it very frustrating
consumed
kent, yes i think sandy's got it right. email bill/state machine if you have any questions--hes a good guy.

plord, check out how krunkus did his subpanel:

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21954&postorder=asc&sta rt=25
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2