MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

General guitar speaker/amp advice needed
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author General guitar speaker/amp advice needed
Babaluma
background: i don't have a lot of experience with guitar amps. i play acoustic and electric guitar, mainly folky stuff, a lot of open chords etc. my electric is an unusual tele with 2 humbuckers (and coil tap for single coil sound), jumbo frets, set neck etc. (more like a les paul), which i currently play through a little fender champion 600 reissue. i really like the clean jangly chimey fender tone (and as such my coil tap is nearly always on).

my setup sounds good, but i think it could be improved, and i really want to a) have a go at building an original 5f1 champ circuit from a kit (little 5 watter), and b) send this through something bigger than the 6" speaker in the champion 600.

i would use this combination at home for practice and recording. low volume with nice clean tone is what i want (in a japanese apartment). i have absolutely no need or desire for high gain or high volume etc.

i've decided that i'm going to build the amp myself, and go with a pre built cab from earcandycabs.com.

here are my questions:

1) what size speakers are recommended for a 5F1 champ circuit? i'd really like to go for a 10" or a 12" for wider frequency response, but am not really sure of the difference, any ideas?

2) what make/wattage speakers are recommended for a little 5w tube amp? i'd love to go with something flash like a celestion gold or blue 10" or 12", but if it's going to sound crappy with a 5w amp, then that would be a waste. what are your thoughts on and the dangers (if any) of supplying a speaker with a wattage that is far below specified?

3) what about ohms? this just seems to add to my confusion! do i want low or high ohms coming out of the amp, and low or high ohm speakers? very confusing!

i know this is a huge can of worms, but i want to get it right first time. would a fender 5f1 champ powering a 12" celestion gold be a stupid idea?

thanks in advance for any advice!

gregg
Kent
My dearest hippy hair-farmer shoe-gazer,

IIRC, the Champs had a non-standard output impedance on the xfmr. I think that the speaker was something like 3.2 Ohms, although that may well be just the crack talkin'. Having a higher impedance speaker probably wouldn't bother the transformer at all since there isn't much heat/wattage being generated there & impedances are nominal and change with frequency and other factors. It wouldn't hurt to ask the manufacturer of the xfmr though.

I don't know the Celestion Gold. I'm most familiar with the true 30W Celestions, the Reissue 30Watters, and the Eminence speaker line (and boy, do they have a selection of speakers from which to choose!). The Tone Tubby speakers are also quite nice. However, none of these really sound like a Jensen, Utah or other Fender speaker. Eminence does have some that do though.

For 'chime' are you thinking Vox AC30? If so, you may also wanna try this out in your signal chain. It is the Overlord of All Chime. Apparently, they are on version 2. I own this one which is a V1:

Here is a really good source on tube amps and it has a nifty 6V6 amp project in it:
Babaluma
cheers kent!

not really a hair farmer, rolling with the suede head these days!

yep, had heard the 5f1 is around 4ohm output, so guess i will need a similar speaker input impedance?

anyone know any good places that pre-build tweed style cabs?
Kent
Here ya go. Click the pictures & links:

Another Torres kit that could be right up your alley.

Marsh Amps Full Kit

[img]http://www.store.marshamps.com/images/champ.bmp[/img]
Babaluma
cheers dude, also seen the weber kits too!

after adding up all the cost (including shipping to japan), and the amount of time and effort required to build it, i am now considering spending a little more and getting something entirely pre-built, such as the new fender champ '57, or even a swart.
imbuedblue
You might also consider buying an old Silverface Champ and modifying it back to the 5F1. These can be had for between 1/4 and 1/3 the price of a new Fender Champ '57.

Babaluma wrote:

after adding up all the cost (including shipping to japan), and the amount of time and effort required to build it, i am now considering spending a little more and getting something entirely pre-built, such as the new fender champ '57, or even a swart.
panda30y
imbuedblue wrote:
You might also consider buying an old Silverface Champ and modifying it back to the 5F1. These can be had for between 1/4 and 1/3 the price of a new Fender Champ '57.

Babaluma wrote:

Perhaps, but I don't know about in Japan. There's this awesome vintage guitar shop that I used to frequent, and once or twice a year these guys from Japan would swing by and buy up 30k worth of stuff and sell it for much more in Japan.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1