MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How did this get this way? (Whine)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author How did this get this way? (Whine)
Just me
Just got asked to open for a GrindCore violin act touring through here and realized that I can no longer play live.
Used to be the 5 of us would show up to a gig, The guitarist brought an amp, a couple guitars and a box of effects. The bass player the same although the amp was an SVT and a 'bit' bulky. The drummer had the most stuff with a bass drum, 2 floor toms, 2 racks toms, snare, hat and cymbals. I never had more than a B3, 2600, few effects and a Peavey Combo 300. Or later, 2 2600's, ESQ-1, MemoryMoog, some effects and rack mixer and the same old Peavey. Everyone was set up and drinking before the drummer was ready. (The singer just stood around and looked hot while we set up.)We had folks who helped us carry shit and someone to watch inside and outside as we loaded to make sure nothing walked away.
Now, I am alone as a solo act. No help to load in or out. No locking van to carry the shit in, just an open pickup truck. I have 5 cases of modular, three large racks of effects and a 16 channel mixer, Voyager, Nord, Blofeld, Fizmo and VFX to haul in and set up. Wire in to a pair of amps cause everything is stereo. Drum machines, pedals, patching, mics. Shit, it takes over an hour to set up and tear down. (And a ton of room!) I just can't do it anymore. I may just take up guitar or go back to playing bass!
dogoftears
hire suit and tie guy to help you?
transistor logic
have you considered bringing less gear to your gigs ?
Just me
I don't do the computer thing, so it takes all that for me to do what I do.(I barely use MIDI in all of this, too) I'd love to find someone else to play with so I could drop a bunch of gear.
zapp550
I completely sympathize with you, I love playing out but the setting up and tearing down kills me. This is a picture from a show I played last month, to me I considered it slimmed down a bit from what i'd want to bring... that's rational right hihi. I really think the name of the game in setups with a lot of equipment is how well you streamline it, and Suit's definitely got a grasp on that if you've ever seen his rig.

moogboy
Today I did my first solo performance-thingy ever. The greatest lesson? No matter how well you plan, you will always forget at least ONE thing.

In all seriousness, after my one-song solo performance today, I'm loving the solo life. It's nice to not worry about late bandmates and supplying the PA and never having enough space in two or three cars to bring the gear I want to use and all that. Instead I just get there early, set my stuff up, run the cables and I'm done. At show-time I turn up the volume and I'm off. Now, what I do miss about being in a band (and this is my hopeful ideal someday) is the way a group of people interact and improvise off of each other. Until I find a good drummer or sparring partner, I'll always miss that.
Kent
It's a choice then, if the amount of gear that you feel you require makes doing what you love impossible:

1) don't gig
2) make changes to your gigging system so that the system serves your goal of being able to play out.

I did the latter. I HAD to incorporate a computer and this forced me to come to grips with Ableton. By doing so, I managed to slim down the amount of physical goods that I thought I had to have.

The rig is now :

- rolling flight case with the following
Mackie d4 performance mixer w/FireWire interface
6rU Eurorack
2rU sliding drawer for a Moog Cluster Flux and some storage during transport
Alesis headphone distribution amp for Wiggling at meetups & allowing others to clearly hear stuff
A limiter in order to keep things under control
MOTU MTP-AV
The whole rack is pre-wired and 99% ready to go

- Buchla 200e
- laptop that goes to the Mackie d4
- Emu Launch-Pad controller/clock source
- Digital Music Corp. GCX Gound Control for preset switching.
- (optional) APC 40

Bringing in a laptop, DJ Mixer w/FireWire and Emu MIDI controller has allowed me to leave the following at home:

-Electrix MoFX
-Quad Eight Spring Reverb
-Metasonix Wretch Machine
-Metasonix KV-100
-Moogerfooger LPF and Phaser
-A bunch of pedals and processors

Once I had decided that I wouldn't bring so much hardware, I went about finding solutions to install in the computer. Total-Musik's Polyphonic Wretch Machine sample set in Kontakt format was a no-brainier.

I did some rather extensive research in order find a delay plug-in that would be suitable for live performance. This can be read about here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1008944#1008944

Once I had a system built up, I started creating music for that system and its strengths. Yes, the workflow is different and not as comfortable. However, it is now a relatively simple matter to show up with the flight case, Buchla, and a couple of controllers plus laptop. Things aren't the same as before, but at least I can play out. My home rig has the extra gear still, of course. It isn't gone.[/url]
digital_steve
Gah! You leave the KV-100 at home?!
Hainbach
I have an half hour rule - I need to be able to carry my gear for that time without back pain.

@Kent: thanks for the Wretch sampleset tip! Instant buy!
Kent
digital_steve wrote:

Yerp. I had to be ruthless as everything has a justifiable place in my live rig. It's just too much to carry and connect all of it.
I use it at home and either sample or record it. It is a compromise for only the live shows.

Hainbach wrote:

It's a good one. Thanks to Mr. Weeks for the absurd amount of work that he put into it.
Hainbach
Kent wrote:
digital_steve wrote:

Yerp. I had to be ruthless as everything has a justifiable place in my live rig. It's just too much to carry and connect all of it.
I use it at home and either sample or record it. It is a compromise for only the live shows.

Hainbach wrote:

It's a good one. Thanks to Mr. Weeks for the absurd amount of work that he put into it.

It does sound good. I think I will use through the R53 and 54 as a poor man's wretch. I still remember the first time I heard the Wretch at your place. Endless wastelands.
Soy Sos
I've gotten very stealthy about how I roll in and out of any live situation.
It has to be fun and a quick set up or I don't do it.
I did 5 performances this week, some combination of:
DJ - Laptop, Serato, APC40, Rane mixer and 2 powered monitors
Modular - 2x Euro 6U cases and powered monitor
Ableton - Laptop, APC40 and powered monitor

I'm 48 and had played in bands for yeeeeeaaaars!
So I know.......
digital_steve
Kent wrote:

It sounds like a hassle... Look, I'll take it off your hands and give it a good home right next to my D1000 that, in all seriousness, I think I've touched in a bad place.
*edit - also nice work, now I have to buy Kontakt and learn it so I can have a poor-mans Wretch Machine.

As for the size of the rig in the OP; WTF!? I have no idea how you manage all that shit for a small performance, let alone the logistics.
Surely you must be tempted to integrate a computer into your setup in order to really get that amount of hardware down to a manageable level... if only for the health of your back!
Jay944
I actually will have to haul way less gear since I quitted on my 5 piece band for my 2 piece music project. It's only a pair of guitar rigs, a midi controler, a laptop running mainstage, and a keyboard/synth which my mate has yet to chose.
chvad
This might be excessive but I have gear I texted with and gear I use for shows. The show stuff my primary concern is straight up bang for buck. Gear that may not sound the best but has the most immediate easy to use feature set. Sometime you get both great sound AND that but taking an hour to setup is a non option for most venues. I try to always have the band up and ready in 15 minutes max. Less geeeeeeeaaaaar.
dogoftears
I have to set up in DJ booths all the time with no sound check and sometimes only one spare channel on the DJ mixer, plus the current DJ needs to use the phones out to monitor their shit so i end up not being able to preview any thing til 5 minutes before i go on.

i have a liveset of varying complexity but at it's lowest level i can use just the Octatrack and any FM noise box. i like that FM noise box to be a small bit of modular usually, just 3U or small tabletop box. but actually now i want to get a Tetrax and have the whole liveset just be Tetrax and OT. that thing makes gnarly FM.

i am super comfy on the OT and can do ridiculously dynamic things with it, and all the samples i trigger come from my modular. i also set up my lives so i can seamlessly switch between live patterns and entire pre-recorded songs/tracks for when i need a break. lately i've started with an hour of live patterns then segued into an hour of DJing the latest studio tracks.

i used to bring out loads more gear but never have i seen any correlation between the amount of gear on stage vs the amount of dancing on the dancefloor. a lot of those folks never even look up into the booth and could give a shit how "live" it is-- they just wanna hear the right tunes. for the few who do look and engage themselves with some aspect of "performance," it's not fun to see me masquerading behind a pile of gear. but if they can see all of me and my hands twiddling the OT and sort of hear the absolute result in a real time way... well that seems to work better is my point.

that said i still am really impressed with how someone like STG commands such a large rig and manages to pull out well mixed, dynamic music from it repeatedly. i myself have trouble focusing on any thing beyond, say, one super-complex modular patch that i want to integrate into a piece. i can't imagine patching live and running patterns and making the mix sound right and tweeking it all out live in time with the bar lines and counting out the changes etc etc. the amount of crazy shit the OT can do by itself completely overloads my brain.
anthonybisset
@OP RE: Grindcore Violinist,

Ohh, if it was Joey Molinero, I hope you could check out his act...
He's rad!
Just me
It is Joey and the show is tomorrow. I'm still going, just not playing.
anthonybisset
Perhaps you need a venue built around your gear, or a street level storefront space... Or re-eval what taking all that gear out does for the audience and you and slim down accordingly, or just go back to guitar as you threatened smile
kuxaan-sum
I've been dumbing down my live set for years..

Happy now with my electron kit and training myself to use the Octa for most of modular stuff and take out only one or two small euro cases.

No more rack effects...only pedals (if even those) and a small mixer.

Life is better~

Saves time/hassle and my back Mr. Green
zapp550
dogoftears wrote:
i used to bring out loads more gear but never have i seen any correlation between the amount of gear on stage vs the amount of dancing on the dancefloor. a lot of those folks never even look up into the booth and could give a shit how "live" it is-- they just wanna hear the right tunes. for the few who do look and engage themselves with some aspect of "performance," it's not fun to see me masquerading behind a pile of gear. but if they can see all of me and my hands twiddling the OT and sort of hear the absolute result in a real time way... well that seems to work better is my point.

I've always liked the idea of bringing out my equipment, but it really depends on what type of show. Most of the gigs i've played I brought a good amount of stuff and people seemed to be pretty excited about it. A few shows i've played though i'd say bringing everything was a mistake and I could have gotten by with my Octatrack, Nord modular, and MS-10. Those shows were the ones people wanted to dance and some girl became frustrated I wouldn't/couldn't play bassnectar for her on my modular hihi
stk
I was going to quote something that anthonybisset posted earlier.. but he seems to have edited it (unless I'm going prematurely senile) hmmm.....

Anyway, to paraphrase; playing live is not about you, it's about the audience.

Cheers
CJ Miller
It can be difficult, but I like the option of bringing a comprehensive gear setup. And I have never had a car, so I have put up with literally carting lots of heavy stuff around town.

One thing the years have taught me is to avoid clubs. I hate them. There is a lot more cooperation with setup in a gallery, or underground performance space. Usually these kinds of venues mean I can bring my gear early, and be set up ahead of time. And maybe wake up on the floor the next afternoon - but that's another story.
anthonybisset
stk wrote:
I was going to quote something that anthonybisset posted earlier.. but he seems to have edited it (unless I'm going prematurely senile) hmmm.....

Anyway, to paraphrase; playing live is not about you, it's about the audience.

Cheers

Yeah, sorry about that, I don't like talking about my own experiences too much (for a lot of reasons), even if they are useful... got bashful and killed that post even though it was mostly on topic... Thanks for ghost quoting that specific point smile. Further the dialog between performer and audience during a show is bidirectional but most of us overlook that at one point or another and need to be reminded it's not skymall or narcissus day.
anthonybisset
dogoftears wrote:
Those shows were the ones people wanted to dance and some girl became frustrated I wouldn't/couldn't play bassnectar for her on my modular hihi

I hope she broke down in tears... It's not like I'm wearing a headset because it's McDonalds and I want to take her order, or I'm an operator working for sky-mall. This seems to happen the most in the less culturally informed zones like America where nearly every interaction a person could have has been shaped by consumerism. I think instead of being irritated I have to start enjoying when boundary crossing shit like this happens. In the case above, I think I would have lied and said "wow, this is bass nectar!, his new rough cuts, like you're one of the first to hear it!!" and see how she reacted...
blah. blah and blah.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2