MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Recommend me a noisebox under $150
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author Recommend me a noisebox under $150
insomniyack
I've already got the Bugbrand Board Weevil and the Dimentia DM-1 and I'm looking for something like both of those...

Any suggestions?
valis
If you have any interest in the DIY realm you can always go Lunetta. Super easy builds and interesting sounds..
fluxmonkey
i think both the weevil and dimentia are based on 'lunetta'-ish CMOS circuits... music from outerspace's Wierd Sound Generator is another commercial product along those lines.

like valis sed, this is a good entry point for DIY... so check out the lunetta forum, the fun with sea moss page, or my playshop pages. also highly recommended, the Nic Collins book Handmade Electronic Music: The Art of Hardware Hacking

personally, i'd suggest getting away from the CMOS stuff to add a little variety to your sounds. the Voice of Saturn series from curious inventor would be one way to go... or try any of the paper circuits from peter blaser, extremely tasty stuff, and good companions to the bugbrand piece in particular...

b
insomniyack
The Wierd Sound Generator is really looking like a good option!

I'm at work so I can't listen to the samples but I'll have to check it out tonight when I get home...looks very interesting!!
insomniyack
How difficult is the WSG to make?

I've never made any DIY synths before. Is it very hard to make?
dk
insomniyack wrote:
How difficult is the WSG to make?

I've never made any DIY synths before. Is it very hard to make?

It's an excellent first project. Not as simple as, say, most of the BYOC pedal kits, but it's a very straightforward, well-documented build, and Ray will send you the entire kit (sans case).

That said, I hate, hate, hate panel wiring, so mine's been sitting mostly-complete for the better part of a year. Maybe this is the kick I need to finish it.

Oh, and while I'm here: feedback loops are a good option for cheap noise generation as well, especially if you've already got a collection of random FX. Just about everybody makes standalone loopers with some sort of attenuation, and they can be pretty cheap.
insomniyack
How hard is panel wiring? I've done a bit of soldiering on a pinball machine I have but never with super small pcb boards.

And for the case you just build a wooden box and stick it in?
dk
insomniyack wrote:
How hard is panel wiring? I've done a bit of soldiering on a pinball machine I have but never with super small pcb boards.

oh, it's not hard at all; i just find it tedious.

if you've done any soldering at all before, the WSG should be a cakewalk for you. PCB soldering isn't any more difficult than soldering larger components as long as you've got a reasonable iron.

and yep, a simple wooden case works fine, and you can get a nice front panel with the kit.
valis
insomniyack wrote:

Twist ties and some organization for your wiring will make the WSG so much easier to build and troubleshoot. It was one of my first DIY projects and it looked like a rat's nest..

For me, finding a box is one of the fun parts..
insomniyack
...and is this digital or analog?
valis
The WSG is analog. The Lunetta is not.
decaying.sine
+1 on the weird sound generator. I always felt like it had a "dark and kind of ominous" timbre, which I liked. I didn't build it so I can't comment on the ease. I sold mine on ebay for $100 +/- some change. I had it on Muff's but had no bites. You might want to check around for a used one if you don't want to build it. I think finding awesome enclosures for it is part of the WSG fun. There are some awesome ones out there. My favorite was the UFO looking silver ikea bowl.
droolmaster0
trogotronic 655
crowphonics modular
voice of saturn
baby box
picked up this cheap noisebox from wookieboyeffects on ebay - it's actually really cool.
masf osc 2

these all range in price, but all are good, I think.
Waz
Thingamakit?
dkcg
One more vote for the WSG. I bought a kit a couple years ago, soldered it up in a few hours. Wiring isn't too bad. I put mine in a nice wooden wine box. If you have soldered any PCBs, it should be a breeze. The faceplate took longer than the build. Easier to put together than the Paia kits too (less parts).
DGTom
insomniyack wrote:
...and is this digital or analog?

valis wrote:
The WSG is analog. The Lunetta is not.

hmmm..... weeellllll... this depends on if you define analog as 'digital with a VCF'

Not being picky for the sake of it, but, the WSG has the same chip - 40106 - at its core as the Weevil & if the WSG is analog I don't see why Lunettas aren't - its really hard to make a clear distinction with this kind thing, but, that being said; the WSG fits into a subtractive synthesis mould whereas Lunettas are a wierd form of addative synthesis using squarewaves.

The WSG is an exellent project & the MFOS site is a treasure trove of information. I dove straight into Lunetta building - the forum @ e-m is AMAZING! but I've been thinking about getting a WSG PCB from Ray just because stuffing PCBs makes a great break from cutting traces on stripboard & I've got a bunch of ideas for modding it grin

all the pages linked by fluxmonkey are great, especially his playshops - beware tho CMOS can be very addicitive once you get going!
insomniyack
Ok the WSG is really sounding like a good option and it'd be cool to put together my own synth. How long would you say it takes for a beginer to make?
fluxmonkey
insomniyack wrote:
Ok the WSG is really sounding like a good option and it'd be cool to put together my own synth. How long would you say it takes for a beginer to make?

if you buy a complete kit (which saves a ton of time and uncertainty sourcing parts), you should be able to build it over a weekend, easy. don't rush, especially when wiring the pots switches and jacks.
knittingram
I can't recommend this enough!

semi-modular squelchbox

http://www.crowphonics.com/Home_Page.html
Luka
radio + cheap distortion pedal smile
Reality Checkpoint
knittingram wrote:
I can't recommend this enough!

semi-modular squelchbox

http://www.crowphonics.com/Home_Page.html

+1! I had a Crowphonics Cubeosc4. Hours of fun, and I rally never did get to the bottom of it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1