MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mutable Instruments CVPal
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Mutable Instruments CVPal
bezier
Seriously..... What is going on at MI these days woah

http://vimeo.com/68886857
radiokoala
Wow, looks like what everybody was waiting for for years! hyper

Quote:
CVpal is an upcoming DIY kit from Mutable Instruments. It is a simple 2-channel USB->CV/Gate interface.

Conversion modes:

* Single channel with velocity and "bonus stage" square digital oscillator.
* Dual monophonic.
* Duophonic.
* CC to CV conversion.
* 4-Triggers.

Other features:

* Only 26 parts to solder, good project for beginners!
* USB-powered.
* Available in mini plexi case or 4HP eurorack panel.
* OS X > 10.6.4, iOS or Linux.
bezier
Quote:
Available in (...) 4HP eurorack panel.

Dead Banana

Will still keep the MCV4 as this has no midi out.
DonKartofflo
holy cow, somebody is working a lot right now. woah
odecahedron
i could use the shit out of that
digidennis

No windows driver, or none needed?
mono-poly
Ios suport we're not worthy
berfmurret
UNSTOPPABLE
lessavyfav
I was obsessing over this the other day. I hope it is USB standard compliant (whatever that is called) so that you can plug usb midi keyboards straight in!
meatbeatz
on fire! Dead Banana
oootini
won't run on windows without an useable amount of latency afaik.
Knights Who Say Neve
digidennis wrote:

I would also like to know if it's class compliant. If so, it may work with the USB port on the Cirklon.
werock
Knights Who Say Neve wrote:
digidennis wrote:

I would also like to know if it's class compliant. If so, it may work with the USB port on the Cirklon.

Linux support usually means the hardware is class compliant - very few vendors create their own Linux drivers.
stk
oootini wrote:
won't run on windows without an useable amount of latency afaik.

Yeah that's kinda weird. It's either class compliant (and therefore needs no Windows drivers), or it's not (and the drivers are buggy).. hmmm.....
wavehead
this is perfect!

now i've got to start looking at ipad apps for control surface, keyboard and sequencing..

i wonder if you can use two of these at the same time on the computer? would make more sense to just use ES, but still intriguing.
vurma
Incrediburruh! Finally a way to interface Overtone with my modular.
twincities
skipping midi altogether should let it run OSC protocol max/msp stuff, right? awesome.
oootini
it's usb midi.

look for the thread 'DIY treat' on the MI forum for details...
twincities
ahhh, i see. seems silly to force the midi protocol when nothing ever touches a din cable, no? guess it's more plug and play for people who don't want to run max/msp shells and stuff to transport midi from their daw.
vurma
If its a dual usb->cv, why not let one of the channels accept OSC and the other MIDI protocol?
radiokoala
So it doesn't work on windows and my interest is officially lost.
vurma
radiokoala wrote:
So it doesn't work on windows and my interest is officially lost.

Could be a good reason to try out Ubuntu! ^^
gwaidan
Whoa...before everyone gets too disappointed by what it can't do....

Whole idea of this was a quick'n'easy beginners DIY kit (target price 40 Euros) which gives people a useful alternative to a commercial USB-MIDI-CV interface-skiff friendly and USB-bus powered!! It will be open source so not too hard to have a go adapting the firmware yourself.

It will be class compliant.

Olivier goes into a lot of detail about it and why it doesn't work too well with Windows here:

http://www.mutable-instruments.net/forum/discussion/3426/news-on-the-d iy-treat/p1

Basically it's using an ATTiny to run everything, including USB. This means the USB has to run at low-speed, but the code "accelerates" data transfer beyond the low-speed standard to overcome latency problems. This is OK with iOS and OSX after 10.6, but not current Windows versions. It could be possible for someone to overcome this-there are proprietary Windows drivers for AVR-based USB-MIDI interfaces.
Nantonos
lessavyfav wrote:
I was obsessing over this the other day. I hope it is USB standard compliant (whatever that is called) so that you can plug usb midi keyboards straight in!

USB doesn't work like that - it needs a USB host. But yes, you could plug this and your USB keyboard into your computer (or a USB hub on your computer).
Nantonos
twincities wrote:
seems silly to force the midi protocol when nothing ever touches a din cable, no? guess it's more plug and play for people who don't want to run max/msp shells and stuff to transport midi from their daw.

On the contrary, there is lots of MIDI support (in DAWS, etc) and that software doesn't care what the physical layer is. So why run it over a DIN cable at 31,250 bits per second when you can run it over USB at 12 megabits a second instead?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 1 of 8