Hermetech Mastering

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:36 am

thanks dude, would love to try out a zener! haven't tried any of the cranesong gear, but am tempted by a pair of trakkers.

perky
Wiggling with Experience

Post by perky » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:09 am

Yea Bob Katz uses a pair of Trakkers, but I havent tried them. Im still at work, so cant hear the thing, but i will tonight :D

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:06 am

i got 2 tracks mastered by babaluma and will be going back for more.

he has a subtle touch which is refreshing for me after having previous things SLAMMED and KRANKED

my tracks have been warmed up nicely. the best word i can think to describe is rubbery.

a slight level boost and very minimal corrective EQ.

I would be happy to make a little comparison file where I switch between pre and post mastering if anyone is interested?

get in quick while he's still cheap and nice :lol: :yay: 8_)

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:51 am

thanks scozbor. i'm very happy that you're very happy with what i have done to your tracks. like i said in my pm, if something is mixed well it should only need a minimal amount of sweetening and RMS level raising. the icing on the cake, so to speak.

it would be great if you posted a before and after snippet at high quality, for people to hear the difference for themselves.

i might not be cheap forever but i certainly promise to stay competitive (and i'll try to continue to be nice!)

:lol:

like i've said before, i'm quite new to doing this for other people, but i seem to be getting some good feedback, which makes me very happy!

i will slam thing for people if they really want me too, but it would be just as easy for me to say go and download the freeware W1 limiter vst and do it yourself. ;)

regarding payment options, i'd like to re-iterate that the first thing is free, the second thing is a donation (it can really be whatever you like), and the third thing we can work out a deal beforehand. i am still not sure about standardised pricing, and if so, how much, i still need to do a little research on that.

thanks for all the kind words everybody!

SepticUnderground
Zombi Wiggler

Post by SepticUnderground » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:29 am

Babaluma wrote:thanks dude, would love to try out a zener! haven't tried any of the cranesong gear, but am tempted by a pair of trakkers.
Cranesong HEDD is da bomb for adding flavour to a ITB production
http://soundcloud.com/septicstudio
FREE ALBUMS! http://www.jamendo.com/en/artist/Septic_Underground

Stopped with becoming the biggest 5U slut in the world

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:41 am

yeah i've had my eye on the cranesong gear for a long time. when i wanted compressors it was a toss up between the trakkers and the chandler germ comps (that i ended up with), and when i was shopping for pre amps it was the cranesong flamingo, the thermionic culture earlybird, or the chandler tg2 (which i ended up with). i guess i just love chandler gear!

there's really nothing on my mastering shopping list right now, i'm very happy with what i have. i might upgrade the converters to lavry black ad10/da10 one day, and the speakers to focal twin6 be if i ever get a larger room. but like i said, am very happy and confident with the gear i have!

SepticUnderground
Zombi Wiggler

Post by SepticUnderground » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:48 am

Babaluma wrote:yeah i've had my eye on the cranesong gear for a long time. when i wanted compressors it was a toss up between the trakkers and the chandler germ comps (that i ended up with), and when i was shopping for pre amps it was the cranesong flamingo, the thermionic culture earlybird, or the chandler tg2 (which i ended up with). i guess i just love chandler gear!

there's really nothing on my mastering shopping list right now, i'm very happy with what i have. i might upgrade the converters to lavry black ad10/da10 one day, and the speakers to focal twin6 be if i ever get a larger room. but like i said, am very happy and confident with the gear i have!
The HEDD is a Culture vulture on steroids kinda speaking...
I went looking at the germanium kompressors aswell and i ended up with the culture vulture hehe. Good luck with your endeavours..
http://soundcloud.com/septicstudio
FREE ALBUMS! http://www.jamendo.com/en/artist/Septic_Underground

Stopped with becoming the biggest 5U slut in the world

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:04 am

SepticUnderground wrote:
The HEDD is a Culture vulture on steroids kinda speaking...
I went looking at the germanium kompressors aswell and i ended up with the culture vulture hehe. Good luck with your endeavours..
cheers dude, and send me some tracks if you want to hear how they sound through my chain!

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:37 am

I mastered a glitchy D&B style track for my good friend Pawnsphinx this afternoon, and thought that it might be a good way to show exactly what happens at each stage of mastering. These are short clips, 24 and 32 bit 44KHz .wav files, and good for A/B comparisons.

These files show exactly what was done, including volume changes. If you just want to hear the timbral changes, then you'll have to volume adjust the files so that the perceived volume is the same in each.

Here is the original mix as sent to me via FTP:

http://darkflame.hermetech.net/Musick/P ... nalMix.wav

Here is the same snippet after being passed through the D/A converter, compressors, EQs and preamps:

http://darkflame.hermetech.net/Musick/P ... alogue.wav

Note the increase in clarity and level of ambient detail due to the compressors and EQs, and the way the compressors bring out the transients in a really nice way. Note also that it is actually quieter than the original! This often happens as I try to hit the following A/D converter with a level that its analogue stages will find acceptable (usually an RMS of around -12 to -20 dBfs).

Here is the final file submitted back to the artist. After going back to digital via A/D conversion, I used a brick wall limiter/saturator/eq plugin to get the level up to "commercial" standard (I hate that term!). I try very hard not to push it too hard here. I get it as loud as I can (which is admittedly very important, especially for this style of music), without sacrificing quality. You usually hear it first in the transients. When I start to hear it, I back it off a bit.

http://darkflame.hermetech.net/Musick/P ... igital.wav

I think it sounds rather good!

Hope you enjoy it, and I would be interested to hear your feedback.

All the best,

Gregg

:bananaguitar:

spbaker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spbaker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:28 am

gotta say a big thanx to babaluma for mastering the hillingar remix album, brought stuff out that was hidden under layers of mud and turned em into a big shimmery wall of sound. those remastered ones will be a special DVD only release along with the live recording.

i have another project for him shortly :sb: :goo: :party:
new DVD out now Fracture
things to listen to and look at:
http://abreojos.net

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:43 am

thank you spbaker! it was a pleasure listening to that amazing album, and i am happy that you liked what i did.

:dalek: :hug:

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:52 am

been well busy mastering on average about a track a day for different people! mostly muffwiggler members. feel free to chime in if i have done something you have been happy with. ;)

also working a lot with pawnsphinx. i am mastering all his back catalogue and we'll be releasing a joint single early next year on skp records (his track, my remix and mastering).

there's also a chance i'll be working with joel hamilton and ishq on some more collaborations soon, exciting times!

btw the free track offer still stands (and will forever i think), so keep them coming and please spread the word if you are happy with my work. word of mouth is the best way for me to get this off the ground!

all the best,

gregg

:cthulhu:

syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:29 am

Hi Gregg! I'm notorious for muddying up my mixes. :) I may take you up on this, it would be nice to hear my stuff through better equipment and more experience.
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:05 pm

syzygywell wrote:Hi Gregg! I'm notorious for muddying up my mixes. :) I may take you up on this, it would be nice to hear my stuff through better equipment and more experience.
that would be great, just hit me up with an email or pm!

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:57 pm

+1 for gregg
he just performed magic on one of my favourite tracks
nice boost to pro level with clarity and delicate touch

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:26 pm

thanks luka!

i'm very glad you were happy with what i did.

i've said it before, but making things sound louder is easy, and making things sound better is easy, but to do both at the same time can be quite a careful balancing act!

Audio Resistance
despair extraordinaire

Post by Audio Resistance » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:50 am

Wow, nice work Gregg.

He even pulled out that detuned bass drum that was hiding down in the mix. :tu:

You really did make my day and now I can quit dicking around with software and sucking every bit of life out of my songs.

Cheers,
Rob
Audio resistance to perceived fascist tendencies

My Music

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:41 am

thanks rob!

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:30 am

I say go for it!
I hate the almost saintly aura mastering engineers get. Some deserve it, most don't.
I got my first album "tilted" mastered in Munich (MSM) and it was an eye opener. What a great job. So, over the next few years I thought about what I saw and heard and practiced on my stuff and in the end my last album I mastered and I get good feedback about it and I am very happy with it.
It's not voodoo. It needs good ears, a good room, some decent gear and practice.
Now, there is a LOT of people offering mastering and they have no clue. Zilch. So many BAD jobs out there, that unless the mastering place you go to is a place you know personally and have total confidence in, you are safer on your own.

I master things for people sometimes and I am confident about them. I wouldn't let anything go out that I wasn't happy with but I have yet to have to do that.

Go for it!

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:08 am

thanks morley!

yeah, i've been mastering my own stuff for about ten years or so. it was only the last couple of years, when other people started asking me to do it for them, that i thought about taking it more seriously. i'm no bob katz or bernie grundman, but i got good feedback, which is why i am offering the "free track" now. if people like what i do and word gets round, all the better!

one of the other main reasons i am doing it, is that it is wonderful to be able to hear so many different types of music on my system, and to practice using my new kit on it. doing all this free work has REALLY helped me get to know the comps, eq and preamp combo, and for that i thanks everyone who has sent me tracks.

i completely agree with you on the whole mastering engineer "aura" and golden ears thing. anyone can do it, like you say, and i do think more and more people are mastering their own stuff these days (that's how i got started!) practice makes perfect! i am sure there are a lot of people doing it very badly too, and i try my hardest not to be one of them.

it's so easy just to strap a brick wall limiter across the mix, but it is also just as easy to overdo it. it's also very easy to LOOK at what your plugins are telling you, and make adjustments based on that without even realising it. with the hardware i have now, i just shut my eyes, really listen, and twiddle till it sounds good. ;)

i'd be honoured to have a go at mastering something for you, just to get your experienced feedback.

all the best and keep sending those tracks!

gregg

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:25 am

here check out the tune that gregg mastered for me
i am well pleased

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BK7GXNDL

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:52 am

thanks luka!

i just started a three week holiday, so i have a lot more time for music now. if you still haven't taken me up on the free track offer, then please do!

also, anyone who wants to come back for more, with a paypal donation, will take priority and i'll be able to get it done quickly.

thanks for all the great feedback,

gregg

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:27 am

load of free time at the mo, and nothing to do, so please send me your track for FREE MASTERING!!!

no takers?

please check the first post and PM me for more details!

merry xmas,

gregg

insomniyack
Wiggling with Experience

Post by insomniyack » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Just got my mastered track back from Gregg and I'm pretty impressed!

It's gotten louder overall without the bass getting out of control and the sounds that were so faint before are now actually able to be heard! It's made the mix brighter, louder, and clearer!! I highly recommend this guy!
Last edited by insomniyack on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:58 am

thanks!

updated first post again to be more informative.

Return to “Production Techniques”