Hermetech Mastering

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Thanks Tony, I'm very glad that you are so happy with my work, and I wish you all the best with the upcoming release!

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:28 am

couple of tunes from the drumspyder album now available for streaming on soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/drumspyder/the-no ... th-of-cats

http://soundcloud.com/drumspyder/rumba-hijaz

spbaker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spbaker » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:48 pm

there once was a fella called Gregg,
whose ears were more finely tuned than a timer for an egg,
lifting mud up out of the sound,
a finer master of the mastering can ne'er be found :sb:

in all seriousness, give this guy your work! i was under a deadline to get the tracks mastered, with 5 tracks finished and two more still to do, he moved everything aside and worked tirelessly on them, and then when the last two were ready he did the same thing.

he treated the tracks with care and sympathy, stayed away from any kind of unnecessary amplitude adjustments (read conscientious objector to the loudness wars) and worked miracles with the eq.

there is magik in his ears and machines

thankyou thankyou thankyou :sb:
new DVD out now Fracture
things to listen to and look at:
http://abreojos.net

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:55 pm

spbaker wrote:there once was a fella called Gregg,
whose ears were more finely tuned than a timer for an egg,
lifting mud up out of the sound,
a finer master of the mastering can ne'er be found :sb:

in all seriousness, give this guy your work! i was under a deadline to get the tracks mastered, with 5 tracks finished and two more still to do, he moved everything aside and worked tirelessly on them, and then when the last two were ready he did the same thing.

he treated the tracks with care and sympathy, stayed away from any kind of unnecessary amplitude adjustments (read conscientious objector to the loudness wars) and worked miracles with the eq.

there is magik in his ears and machines

thankyou thankyou thankyou :sb:
Thanks Scott, you make me blush!

:loves: :oops:

It was a pleasure to work on your music.

colossal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colossal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:23 am

A while ago I got in contact with Gregg about a D&B track I was finishing off.

I gave him the track to master & he returned it the same day ! I am really impressed with the result. I had a go at mastering the track myself using plugins but the result was no where near as good.

You can hear comparisons before & after here.

http://soundcloud.com/colossaldj/system ... fore-after

Full version

http://soundcloud.com/colossaldj/system-overload

Big thanks to Gregg I would thoroughly recommend people get in touch with him. So nice to have some one polish my mix when my ears had given up after hours & hours of listening.

Thanks again Gregg !

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:05 am

No worries dude, it was a pleasure to work on!

Some more recent work, cut and pasted from my web site news section:

The 19th of January, 2011, marks the first anniversary of Hermetech Mastering! I'd like to say a big thank you to all the wonderful artists I have had the pleasure of working with over the last year, along with Graham from OpenSussex for helping me set up the site, and taoyoyo for the design work. I have been extremely busy! Here is a list of some of the projects I have been involved with recently:

I've been continuing to do a lot of work with taoyoyo, mainly going through his archive and putting the finishing touches to some older tracks. Many of these are available for free download from his website here or his Bandcamp page. These include the great new "Jam" EP, and the "Two Minds" single. I have also mastered a three album compilation of his work from the 1990's, when he was in the indie band Hive, along with Andy Smith (of Dialog>), and Martin Bell. I am not sure when this will be available, but I will keep you posted! Two OMD remixes have also recently been mastered.

Another project is the forthcoming dark ambient/drone album from Abre Ojos. This album will be a limited release on DVD, with music (in DVD audio 24bit 48kHz quality), and visuals, all designed by the artist. The album is around 90 minutes long, and comprises seven tracks, each track based upon one of the seven Chakras of Kundalini Yoga. It's a very deep listening experience! The DVD will start shipping soon, and will be available directly from Abre Ojos. Abre Ojos will be performing live this weekend at The Rainbow Serpent Festival in Victoria, and then with Alex and Allyson Grey on their Australian Tour the following week.

[EDIT: Now available, see posts on here or direct link: http://abreojos.net/?p=460 ]

I have also recently finished mastering the debut album by zerosuminertia, "Red Lake For A Bloody Island". This is another dark ambient/noise style release, and comprises four tracks and three "re-workings" by Babaluma. The album will be a limited CD release, available from the artist directly.

There is also the debut album by attacksustain, "Create.Destroy.Rebuild". This will also be available from the artist directly.

Another quick update to plug the following release from Joix, recently mastered here. It's a stomping dance floor filler and deserves to do exceedingly well! Joix is currently looking for a label to release this tune, so please let us know if you might be able to help. Online streaming version available for your listening pleasure here:

http://soundcloud.com/joix/joix-solaris-original-mix

I'll post more news on the above releases as it comes in. These are very exciting times at Hermetech Mastering, and I wish all the visitors to this site a healthy and prosperous 2011!

Other news: Tomorrow I will start work on a three album project with musician Dave Skipper from the UK. This includes remixes by Eat Static and Zia (from the Ozric Tentacles). Mainly D&B with lots of great metal guitar overdubs, truly crazy stuff!

The BIG news is that I'm currently in the middle of mastering the new EP by Danny Hyde (Coil, NIN, PWEI, Adamski etc.) Those who know me well will know that this is basically a dream come true for me. I'm grinning like a mad thing. :)

So, keeping busy...

tony d
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tony d » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Awesome news Greg!!!

As has been reiterated many times over all ready, anybody looking for mastering work should give Hermetech a try. Truly a pleasure to deal with and top notch work!

rolsteins
Common Wiggler

Post by rolsteins » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:27 am

Comrades!

I'm proud to be in chunk of those lucky ones to have support from the ear of Gregg.

Highly recommended.

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:44 am

Thanks rolsteins! It was a pleasure to work on your music, I've never heard anything else quite like it! Are you the vocalist? I've never met anyone who could do that throat singing so well before! Hope the release meets with lots of success.

:party:

rolsteins
Common Wiggler

Post by rolsteins » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Babaluma wrote:Thanks rolsteins! It was a pleasure to work on your music, I've never heard anything else quite like it! Are you the vocalist? I've never met anyone who could do that throat singing so well before! Hope the release meets with lots of success.

:party:
Ha, ha.. I'm not that vocalist. It's friend of mine. Actually, he is very famous theatre director here in Latvia.

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:21 am

New track from Danny Hyde's upcoming "Svay Pak" EP, mastered by yours truly...

[video][/video]

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:32 am

Babaluma wrote:New track from Danny Hyde's upcoming "Svay Pak" EP, mastered by yours truly...

[video][/video]
hey man

say hello to Danny from me - he may not remember me, but we worked on a couple of my tracks in the late nineties

one of the tracks we attempted was called "toytown" and featured Little Annie/ Annie Anxiety on vocals (she appeared on 3 tracks on my album - which eventually went out under the name "blue light fever" (by Blue Light Fever). Peter Christopherson (rest in peace...) was going to do vocal treatments for my album too at one point, but then the label ran out of patience with me before that could take place

i worked under the name "disco hospital" back then and we basically spiralled into madness over 2 days in some expensive studio in Wapping - i forget the name, but it had a big Harrison mixing desk. in retrospect i should probably have left him to it in the studio and come back 3 days later when it was finished! the tracks were impossibly complex and were an absolute headache to mix....and me getting involved probably didn't help!

he's a top mix engineer though, and a blinding geezer - i remember us dissolving into tears of hysterical laughter as - after doing 40 hours straight with about 4 hours sleep - the tracks were collapsing around our ears. i never liked working in big studios where it's costing pure cash every hour - i think this session was costing £1000 per day - the pressure i felt was enormous

in the end i blagged the label into buying me my own studio to mix it in, as it would cost less! when itried mixing it with Lee Monteverdi (a mix engineer from Manchester who now part-runs "all around the world" records....cheesy stuff) we were running 6 akai samplers with 60 outputs going into the desk....which was a 96 channel AMEK...and we STILL ran out of channels and ended up hiring in a second desk. my god....HOW did that happen???

If only i'd had the setup i have now back then....would have been SO much easier!

i was so tired when i left the studio that i kept falling asleep on the tube and ending up right at the other end of the line, only to do it again and end up right back at the OTHER end!

anyway....sorry for waffling on - am in the middle of my first modular build and have been up all night (again!)

good to hear Danny is back in the music game - send him my regards!

cheers
matt preston

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:33 am

hey matt,

thanks for the great anecdotes! i'll mention you to dan next time i send him an email, and link to this thread, i'm sure he'll remember you.

yes, he's an amazing engineer, and his tracks are extremely multi-layered. some of the tracks on this ep feature stuff he recorded to tape nearly 30 years ago!

all the best,

gregg

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:34 am

Babaluma wrote:hey matt,

thanks for the great anecdotes! i'll mention you to dan next time i send him an email, and link to this thread, i'm sure he'll remember you.

yes, he's an amazing engineer, and his tracks are extremely multi-layered. some of the tracks on this ep feature stuff he recorded to tape nearly 30 years ago!

all the best,

gregg
cool. that's him with the gun on the video isn't it? also, if you look at worker8's profile pic (profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=834) you'll see me after the recording session we did!

like the tune - he is (was?) definitely the "third member of Coil"

nice to see the old gated delays making an appearance!

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:00 am

heard back from dam, he remembers you, not sure if he's gonna sign up here to reply, but you should drop him a line maybe. his email addres is on his web site:

auralrage.com

yep, that's him with the gun in the video. he also just updated his resume on his site, he's worked with an incredible amount of really cool people. and yep, he was definitely like a third member of coil on a lot of their releases.

i love the gated delays on JB's voice on windowpane from LSD!

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:50 am

Babaluma wrote:heard back from dam, he remembers you, not sure if he's gonna sign up here to reply, but you should drop him a line maybe. his email addres is on his web site:

auralrage.com

yep, that's him with the gun in the video. he also just updated his resume on his site, he's worked with an incredible amount of really cool people. and yep, he was definitely like a third member of coil on a lot of their releases.

i love the gated delays on JB's voice on windowpane from LSD!
cool - did he remember me fondly, or not so much?

(it was a bit of a torturous session you see)

basically - did he say to drop him a line?

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:00 am

PM'ed!

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Thu May 26, 2011 5:09 am

fantastic new track by lapse, high quality .wav, free download here:

http://soundcloud.com/lapse-audio/lapse ... -hermetech

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Thu May 26, 2011 7:31 am

Hey all,

Update time, more news here:

http://hermetechmastering.com/news.html

In brief:

1) Great new Lapse track (see above link for free download).

2) Worked with Adam Stalker on an interesting re-working and mastering project for a dark ambient/drone track recently, streaming below, and may be used in the next Bruce Labruce film. Very exciting!

http://soundcloud.com/babaluma/adam-sta ... -babaluma/

3) Danny Hyde's "Svay Pak" EP is apparently now shipping.

4) There's a Japan Benefit CD organised by Android Lust available from May 31st, featuring quite a few Wigglers, proceeds to Japan Red Cross and Japan animal charity. I obviously did this one for free.

5) I am closed for business from next Monday for the foreseeable future, due to relocation from Yokohama to Milan, until I get back up and running in Italy (hopefully in July). If you need something mastered in the next four days, please hit me up ASAP!!!

6) I plan to buy some shit hot new gear that will hopefully help me in my quest to make your music sound even better! New ATC monitors, Grace monitor DAC and headphone amp, Carillon audio PC and Dangerous Music Bax EQ. Gear lust FTW!

7) I have had my brain bedazzled by that musickal phenomenon currently going by the rather silly name of "Witch House". If you know anyone producing musick in this genre, please point them my way, I'd love to work on some of this material! I really feel my experience, approach and aesthetic could blend well with this style.

All the best and thanks for all the continued support, I really appreciate it,

Gregg

tony d
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tony d » Fri May 27, 2011 9:21 am

Man,that Video/Song is super intense.I had a hard time listening through because of the content but it sounded good.Stupid Fucking humans.

Thanks for the work on the track also.Who says you can't polish a turd?

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Fri May 27, 2011 10:02 am

tony d wrote:Man,that Video/Song is super intense.I had a hard time listening through because of the content but it sounded good.Stupid Fucking humans.

Thanks for the work on the track also.Who says you can't polish a turd?
you mean the danny hyde track? if so, yes, it's extremely disturbing viewing, but obviously something dan feels needs to be brought to light...

and i don't consider mastering your tracks polishing a turd, it's more like gilding the lily. :)

tony d
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tony d » Fri May 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Yes, the Danny Hyde video is what i was referring to.That shit was on my mind all day today. I'm glad that he has the courage to do this.All i was trying to say was that i had a difficult time even listening to the music because the message put me in such an enraged emotional space.

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Fri May 27, 2011 6:29 pm

Yeah, me too. I was working on the music before I saw the artwork or video, or even knew what "Svay Pak" meant, so just musically and lyrically, I didn't think that "track 4" was addressing such serious issues. but after seeing the video (and a lot of the artwork), I was very upset/saddened/enraged etc. I think Dan has lived and travelled extensively in Cambodia and Thailand, so he must have seen a thing or two...

http://www.auralrage.com/svaypakpics.htm

(number 93 has my name on it!)

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:11 pm

Quick update: PC incoming, should be here this week. Need to buy a pair of speaker stands. Then will be up and running again! But, I have about 20 paying clients waiting, so any new clients are going to have to wait at least a month while I catch up on the backlog. Sorry for the massive delay!

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:07 am

I am very proud and happy to announce that today marks the official re-opening of Hermetech Mastering for business! It's been an excruciating wait, but I am finally able to start work again, now that the last piece of the puzzle has arrived (a new PC). Look out for new releases I have mastered from Joix, Dialogue, When The Embers Fall, and various other projects in the works.

Return to “Production Techniques”