MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Minibrute vs Mopho for Live set
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Minibrute vs Mopho for Live set
4utonomy
Like the sounds of both, does anyone have wisdom on which would favour a live set better? I am thinking mopho due to savable presets and user banks??
ThecureForSin
Probably the Mopho for the reasons you mentioned. I think I'd have more fun with the Minibrute, but the Mopho makes more sense.

Personally, I prefer using VA's live, but that's for the convenience.
papercutnoise
If you like to use arpeggiators, avoid the Mopho like the plague. It has the most useless arppegiator for live use known to mankind. Pity, because it's a pretty decent synth otherwise! Still no sign of an Os update either. Pretty disappointed about that to be honest.
Skaput
on the topic of the mopho's arpeggiator, if you wire up a momentary on/off latch switch and plug it into the sustain input. it makes it a lot easier to latch the arpeggiator on and off.

This also i have found enables you to gate the sequencer without the need to continuously hold down a note key

It took me weeks to work out why my sequences would sometime run freely and sometimes i would need to gate them myself d'oh!
kimu
Minibrute sounds much better... Better filter... All parameters ready to grab and you have keyboard too
Tifaret
kimu wrote:
Minibrute sounds much better... Better filter... All parameters ready to grab and you have keyboard too

I disagree, the Minibrute sounds more 'analog' I suppose but there's a honkiness to it's tone that never quite goes away to my ears. I found the thing really limiting, using it live was a headache because of how difficult it was to coax a decent tone out of the thing.
And he could always grab the Mopho keyboard.

But the OP already said he liked the tone of both...
I think if it was me I'd think about how many synths I already had lacking recall. Which in my case, is all of them. Adding yet another synth without presets that you have to change live between songs adds up the more you have...
kimu
Yes you're right, i was thinking to mopho desktop..... regarding sound, it's of course a matter of personal taste. I never really click with the mopho, tetra and p08 sounds.
If you just look the spec, the mopho key is richer of course, but the minibrute is more interesting to me. I prefer its layout and the immediate feeling between you and the instrument that I did not have with the mopho.
IR
The title of this sounds like it could be a great wrestling match. Just imagine their managers arguing. It's motherfucking bacon yo
Tifaret
kimu wrote:
Yes you're right, i was thinking to mopho desktop..... regarding sound, it's of course a matter of personal taste. I never really click with the mopho, tetra and p08 sounds.
If you just look the spec, the mopho key is richer of course, but the minibrute is more interesting to me. I prefer its layout and the immediate feeling between you and the instrument that I did not have with the mopho.

I agree, it does feel more like an 'instrument' in that way if you get my meaning? I liked everything about the Minibrute other than the tone. The mopho never really feels as alive as the brute does but it's definitely a much fuller featured synth...and the keyboard version used can be had for about the same price (or not much more) as a new Brute...at least in the US.
radar24
for the look and color... +1 for mopho 8_)

Look is one of important thing for live sometimes smile
Hainbach
I have not played the Minibrute, but owned the Mopho and used it quiet a lot, both on the road and in the studio. In the end I always found something that sounded better and was more inspiring to use. Live it was ok, if you forget about the falling off knobs and endless encoders. No fun to do filter sweeps with those.

If I where to pick a synth for live, I would try the Minitaur or maybe even a Phatty, if price and portability was no issue.

Or, soft synths (Aalto, Diva) plus a few Foogers.
LeFreq
If you don't like the tone of the Minibrute... you're doing it wrong.

It's just as capable as an analog synth as any other, actually more so tonally than something like the Mopho.

If you're watching Youtube videos, you should probably realize that anyone can upload a video to YT and nobody is policing whether or not they have any knowledge of the synth - like knowing that turning the waveform's volume past half way overdrives the synth, making it "honk", also having the brute factor turned up too high is just dumb, but that's half the demos.

The synthesist is more important than the synthesizer. thumbs up
acealive
I did not like the Sound of the Minibrute either.
Sold it a while ago, never looked back.
The Filter and the Arp and the interface was good, but something with that VCO was not my cup of tea.
There are so many analogue synths out there, no reason to compromise if one is not completely satisfied.

ragrading the OP quastion : it would be easier to answer if one knew what kind of music you make live and how you want to use the synth ?
Sequence it, play it live via keyboard or use the arpeggiator ?

For live though, I believe sound details are not so important but usability is, and so my vote would go to the Minibrute if one really had to decide among those two.

IMO Nothing beats a Nord Lead 2x for live use, though. Multitimbral, great interface, digital (no tuning issues), patches can be saved, the keyboard is good and so on.
Tifaret
LeFreq wrote:

It's just as capable as an analog synth as any other, actually more so tonally than something like the Mopho.

If you're watching Youtube videos, you should probably realize that anyone can upload a video to YT and nobody is policing whether or not they have any knowledge of the synth - like knowing that turning the waveform's volume past half way overdrives the synth, making it "honk", also having the brute factor turned up too high is just dumb, but that's half the demos.

The synthesist is more important than the synthesizer. thumbs up

I owned the Minibrute and sold it after 4 months with it. It sounds fantastic in the upper registers but for basslines I just plain did not like it's tone, no matter where the waveform sliders were. I never did find anything I really liked as far as the brute factor went so I almost always had it off.
Umcorps
LeFreq wrote:

Oh yes. thumbs up
acealive
The only thing we did wrong was to buy the Minibrute in the first place lol
Strange_Days
Well, for for live use I would choose the Mopho, mainly because it has presets. But honestly I like the Mophos sound more too. But this is highly subjective of course smile Also, comparing features on these two, then the Minibrute have to hang its head in shame.
JayEm
You answered yourself really, but it would depend on what you want it to do. It could be very difficult to have to switch the patch on your minibrute, while a mopho has recall, and coupled with a bcr2000 could give just as much fun with live tweaking.
1986Bowler
My vote is for the Mopho- presets make dialing things in easy. I really love the way it sounds.

But I have only played the MiniBute in store, so this opinion is completely biased.
starthief
I don't understand thinking the Brutes aren't good at bass. That triangle, saturated... no filter even needed.
BenA718
I own both, but if I had to choose one for a gig and the keyboard didn’t matter, MOPHO + Patch Base is a hard combination to beat. Patch Base eliminates the impenetrable menu system of the MOPHO and saves your presets as well.
kc
I own a minibrute myself and i kind of love it. the key limitation is the lack of memory which could be a problem for performer. the sound is solid is not bad imo, not the best but good enough for me. the knobs and faders etc creates so much possibility making it a living instrument

I have not tried a Mopho so I can't make a comparison.
Madrayken
Sell/avoid both. Buy a BS2. Done.
oscilloscope
And by the way Mopho key is built like a tank ....
Yodhan
I’ve owned both. If it is part of a larger rig, one where you need to change presets for different sounds, I would go with the Mopho. The assignable knobs give you the control you would need live if you take the time to set them up. If you were keeping it as one or two sounds, either would work. I had a friend who had a 3 keyboard setup, one of them being a module skiff specifically for his bass sound. He. Ever touched it or tweaked it. Worked like a charm. I could see the Brute shining as something like this.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2