MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

Hello World
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Hello World
flts
A "little" package arrived yesterday from Wessex Analogue, just a few days before my 30th birthday. What might it be?

Let's see!



(I feel kind of ashamed posting stuff like this after all the cool things I've heard here, but at least you get something else than just photos lol )

Edit: More videos shamelessly posted in the thread.
thesnow
Beautiful!

What are you saving the last space for?

I'm assuming you got all of the modules except for the Sequantizer?
Pascal
pretty sure it will serve you well in your star travels Woggle Bug! Woggle Bug
flts
thanks the both of you!

my system now is waveform city (bought used earlier this year), classic vco, envelator, borg filters and wogglebug. i'm pretty sure the last space will be for mixolator, but i'll have to spend a bit more time with the system to figure that out.

also planning to build a nicer wooden case to the system eventually at my father's workshop with his help... that's going to take a while though, and not 100% sure if i want to reserve space for something else in the case as well, so mounted everything to a spare 6u flightcase meanwhile.
chamomileshark
very nice, care to say a bit more about the patch? Are you sequencing externally or maybe using the WFC quantiser bank?
flts
i'm awful at remembering patch details since my usual method is not very analytic and quite quick, tore that down after recording the video...

however, there's one track of pitch cv sequencing from the mfb urzwerg pro mk2 (clocked with its internal clock) to the classic vco, and a bit too much eventide space on the output. everything else is inside the system. i think the gate/trigger stuff mainly originates from the wogglebug. one stereo channel is the classic vco with linear fm from the waveform city sine, the other channel is waveform city with wogglebug wavetable scanning the wfc. i hope i didn't remember too much wrong...

i really have to go through all the cool patch examples collected on one or two threads here. it IS really a deep and surprising system and i'm loving it already.
slow_riot
nice patch! mixo and sequantizer both are highly recommended. smile
rezzn8r
SlayerBadger!
flts
today i made the woggle bug and borgs go to bed together:



(side note, i'm not 100% sure if someone else here actually used the very same video / song title - if so, i'm sorry!)
flts
lfo rate random & woggle modulated saw as the sound sources:



maybe one day i'll record something sensible...
flts
as a side note, up to the last minute and even after using waveform city for months i was a bit skeptical about whether the system really offers the kind of sound and flexibility i've thought it would for the past 10 years i've been lusting for these.

i usually have too high expectations for either the instruments & gear i buy or my skills and patience in actually learning to use them properly, so i'm kind of used to getting bored or disappointed at many instruments / pieces of gear i decide to buy.

however, this is just instant fun, looks beautiful and sounds (pardon my french) fucking astounding. the only other thing that has done this for me for the past few years is my array mbira which you can pry from my cold dead hands.
thesnow
Congrats! thumbs up
chamomileshark
I think it takes a while to get used to, my impression it has a very wide range and a huge amount of possibilities and you need to spend time to find the sounds that work for you.

Every time I've gone to the Wiard with a "musical question" I've got an appropriate answer whether that is natural sounds like a grasshopper, a particular abstract sound or a something more conventional.

The only problem with the Wiard 300 series is that my Frac modular is now a bit out in the cold and relegated to providing back up to the Wiard and then only sometimes.
flts
chamomileshark wrote:
I think it takes a while to get used to, my impression it has a very wide range and a huge amount of possibilities and you need to spend time to find the sounds that work for you.


The thing I've noticed already, though, is how easy it is to get to sound good relative to how complex an instrument it is / the amount of possibilities there are.

I consider myself really picky in the "basic timbre" of an instrument, constantly favoring personal preference in sound over other things such as flexibility or even ergonomics. That's why I haven't been too crazy about some otherwise superb modular systems I've tried - it was fun to experiment but the sound just wasn't for me.

Luckily this one seems to have the kind of palette of sound I'm fond of AND it's unbelievably deep for such a physically small system plus fun to use. We'll see what happens after the inevitable ending of honeymoon period but right now I'm super happy. And, as several people commented beforehand, the linear FM is heaven.

Quote:
The only problem with the Wiard 300 series is that my Frac modular is now a bit out in the cold and relegated to providing back up to the Wiard and then only sometimes.


I could see myself building a bantamized accessory panel with a lot of buffered multiples, unity mixers and attenuators. That's the one thing I feel that may become a limiting factor eventually - nothing a Mixolator and some simple DIY circuits won't fix I suppose lol
slow_riot
flts wrote:


I could see myself building a bantamized accessory panel with a lot of buffered multiples, unity mixers and attenuators. That's the one thing I feel that may become a limiting factor eventually - nothing a Mixolator and some simple DIY circuits won't fix I suppose lol


Do you mean something like a Hinton SwitchMix and Trimmers ? smile

Yes, agree with Chamomile Shark... the 300 ate my eurorack
chamomileshark
Luckily it is not entirely redundant, I have a Wiard Boogie, Borg, Noise ring, two mini waves (incl. the quantizer bank).

Outside of Wiard stuff I have two polarizing mixers, several VCAs, two classic ring mods, a dedicated lag processor, digital noise, window comparitor, wave multiplier.. I suppose on second thoughts it's the VCOs and EGs that don't get used so much...but then I find the Blacet VCOs with PWM and the octave jump useful for clocking the sequantizer.

hmm..I seem to have entirely demolished my argument!

h
flts
slow_riot wrote:
Do you mean something like a Hinton SwitchMix and Trimmers ? smile
Yes, agree with Chamomile Shark... the 300 ate my eurorack


Yes, I mean _exactly_ like SwitchMix and Trimmers lol

Thing is, I was considering those as well, but somehow a blue 1U utility panel (vs. grey 3U euro row that I'd be tempted to fill up with miscellaneous stuff) kind of appeals to me as an idea. I know I'd easily end up with another round of "gotta catch 'em all" (ended up selling all of my Eurorack for now) otherwise and I love the all blue look, otherwise it'd be a pretty clear case for mr. Hinton.

Another dangerous idea was to get mr. Metalbox to build me a custom Bantamized CGS matrix mixer and some other utility stuff in Frac. We'll see which of the options I end up choosing.

chamomileshark wrote:
Luckily it is not entirely redundant, I have a Wiard Boogie, Borg, Noise ring, two mini waves (incl. the quantizer bank).

Outside of Wiard stuff I have two polarizing mixers, several VCAs, two classic ring mods, a dedicated lag processor, digital noise, window comparitor, wave multiplier.. I suppose on second thoughts it's the VCOs and EGs that don't get used so much...but then I find the Blacet VCOs with PWM and the octave jump useful for clocking the sequantizer.


Oh, it sounds like you have quite a cool system there altogether. Would be a shame if you didn't use all the other stuff hihi Frac is a format I haven't touched so far but now I at least have a compatible power supply that could power at least one extra row of that besides the Wiard 300 I plan to have.
laserpalace
Late to the game but CONGRATULATIONS! I love the sounds you are developing. Very cool! Keep them coming SlayerBadger!
Pascal
great posts, forever alone fav we're not worthy
flts
finally got a proper camera setup and recorded a fave patch of mine:



managed to knock the pedal tone (from one of the borg lfos) a bit out of tune before recording, it sounds even better when it's actually spot on but that's what you get for being sloppy.
thesnow
nice.

care to elaborate on the patch?

is that a quantizer doing those steps?
flts
the patch is quite simple - the pedal tone is one of the borg lfos thru both of the filter sides with slight modulation, the overtone series sound is just one of the waveform city banks (can't remember which number) scanned by wogglebug stepped cv.

the reverby trail thing is (you guessed it) a shimmer patch from eventide space, it's a pretty essential part of the whole sound as well.
Norman_Phay
flts wrote:


Thing is, I was considering those as well, but somehow a blue 1U utility panel (vs. grey 3U euro row that I'd be tempted to fill up with miscellaneous stuff) kind of appeals to me as an idea. I know I'd easily end up with another round of "gotta catch 'em all" (ended up selling all of my Eurorack for now) otherwise and I love the all blue look, otherwise it'd be a pretty clear case for mr. Hinton.

Another dangerous idea was to get mr. Metalbox to build me a custom Bantamized CGS matrix mixer and some other utility stuff in Frac. We'll see which of the options I end up choosing.

Frac is a format I haven't touched so far but now I at least have a compatible power supply that could power at least one extra row of that besides the Wiard 300 I plan to have.


Probably said this too many times already here but a few of Blacet's modules - specifically the EG1 and the Mixer/Processor - are totally essential addons for any wiard system IMO.
flts
Norman_Phay wrote:
Probably said this too many times already here but a few of Blacet's modules - specifically the EG1 and the Mixer/Processor - are totally essential addons for any wiard system IMO.


yeah, bantamized blacet / metalbox stuff is something i've been leaning towards so far. only now that i realized i could fit a pretty crazy hinton format conversion, routing, mixing and attenuation matrix on 3U, i'm starting to reconsider my options.

in any case, i still have one 300 slot free in the rack, so i think when expansion time comes, i'll get a mixolator first and then consider again what i'd need next.
flts
neu! the wogglebugs are growing up nicely and making friends with other modules.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group