MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A little taste of some Kansas home cookin' (VCF)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author A little taste of some Kansas home cookin' (VCF)
negativspace
In my scant free time over the last month I've been working on this... it's finally in a state where I feel like sharing. It started life as the SVF design (based on the J. Haible discrete 2040 gain cell) which Scott Stites posted over at electro-music in April. I'd been wanting to work with another filter for a while and this one looked interesting, so I started playing with it. I lopped off the audio input section and grafted on the CP3 mixer (moar transistors!) and that's what you're hearing in this rather short clip. It's definitely interesting! A very thick, rich-sounding filter with a lot of different personalities depending on how hard you drive the inputs.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/negativspace/discrete-svf-test-01[/s]

I've gotten Scott's blessing on a PCB run, if you guys are into this I'll make it happen. I'll offer it with a euro panel as usual but I'm going to keep power connectors and mounting holes onboard for other-format builds.
GrantB
That sounds great! applause
appliancide
negativspace wrote:
I've gotten Scott's blessing on a PCB run, if you guys are into this I'll make it happen.

applause

I'm way into this! Even before I heard the awesome sample, I wanted it for the synth-nerdiness factor of a discrete SVF.
Isaiah
Very interesting!
It seems to track 1V/Oct pretty well in your demo. Is there the option to adjust the scaling or add temperature compensation?
Is the VC over Resonance? I remember you saying before that you are fond of VC Resonance. Maybe the design doesn't permit adding that feature.
Any idea of PCB size yet?
Cheers!
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Wow, that filter sounds fantastic. Tonnes of character! applause
negativspace
Isaiah wrote:
It seems to track 1V/Oct pretty well in your demo. Is there the option to adjust the scaling or add temperature compensation?

It does... I haven't set it up side-by-side with a proper VCO to test the tracking but it handled the CV from the 303 nicely. Regarding scaling or compensation, not as of now but that's something I'd still like to add. It should be pretty straightforward.

Quote:
Is the VC over Resonance? I remember you saying before that you are fond of VC Resonance. Maybe the design doesn't permit adding that feature.

Your memory is accurate, but this doesn't have that feature. There's no reason it couldn't be added but I don't plan to do so this time.

Quote:
Any idea of PCB size yet?

I'm going to say 4.25" high by ~12-14hp in width? It depends a bit on the panel design I settle on, I'm going to design this all as one unit with a daughterboard for panel controls and the works. No wires!
negativspace
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Wow, that filter sounds fantastic. Tonnes of character! applause

Thank you! It really does have a lot of character, that sample above is a very narrow display. I'll do a better, deeper one as soon as I get my interface back which should be very soon.

(Tonnes... is that Canadian for "tons"? hihi )
Piedwagtail
Phew! Exemplary work!

Sample: how matched are the transistors?

Robert
negativspace
The transistors are "loosely matched." They could be more meticulously selected but they're not just random pulls from the bag. (The board in the clip is my first PCB build so priority was on getting it to work vs. making it perfect.)
cleaninglady
If it happens , i would very much like to get one. Guinness ftw!
diablojoy
lol you beat me to it
I have the schematic sitting in front of my computer
it was next in line for a layout.
oh well i shall sit back and watch this with interest now
I may still end up doing some for myself anyway as i dont build in euro.
Paradigm X
this is Stite's 2040-a-like jobby?

Yeah, id started a version with the THAT chips... and didnt get very far.

Would love a pcb or two.
keninverse
I'm with some of the others...
If this is Scott's discrete 2040 I'm so in, especially if there's a run of panels...in euro and buchla.
negativspace
Yeah, it's the one you're thinking. I changed the OP to clarify a bit. thumbs up
woodster
Well tasty, and even better that it's going to be DIY!
I'd definitely be interested in building one if made available.
Paradigm X
Cool, so youve gone for the transistor version rather than the THAT matched pairs version?

This thing did sound great when i heard it.

Nice one
Synthsense
Excuse my ignorance but.....Is this one the VCF (made of discrete components) You can find in the RSF Kobol? It sounds nice, thanks for this new project!
joshuagoran
Awesome! Interested to see this come along. I've not had a SVF and this one sounds great and I dislike wiring panels razz
mcop
Very nice, interested to see where this goes. I'd seen Scott's thread over at EM and had this earmarked to try at some point so if you do a board I could well be interested.
Norman_Phay
I'd be interested in a couple of boards for this, for sure. Demo clip sounds nice!
Norman_Phay
I'd be interested in a couple of boards for this, for sure. Demo clip sounds nice!
rosch
2 for me please!
i like the discrete nature, in a very indiscrete anti-wiring package SlayerBadger!
logicgate
1 for me!! And I back the "anti wiring" plea, lol
VCOscillator
Excellent work, the samples sound great! Count me in also for 1 please thumbs up
vtl5c3
Two for me, plz.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 1 of 10