MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Another My 1st Modular thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Another My 1st Modular thread
SquidInSquidInk
I'd like to take the plunge into modular and I've been reading as much as I can here for advice. Here's my current setup, plan, and specific questions:

First, I already have a Mopho, so I'm not primarily looking for traditional mono synth stuff in my modular. Also, I have a Sherman Filterbank 2 and a Moogerfooger ring mod to provide lots of CV interfaces.

My plan to start:
MW 6U case (provides mults/attenuators)
Flame Clockwork
Livewire AFG
QMMG

That's within my budget and gives plenty of room to expand. So here are my questions:

1. Aside from the Clockwork's main functions, how is it as a MIDI-to-CV converter? In addition to self-generating patterns, I'd like to send sequences from Ableton or maybe even my BCR2000, if possible.

2. Will 1/4-to-1/8 patch cables be sufficient to work with the FB and MF or do I need a format converter?

3. Am I missing any obvious basics with this setup?

Thanks.
Mr White
man at least you need an envelope!

would had suggested a maths but it's out of stock atm... sad banana

to send ableton stuff to the modular you need a midi/cv, you can grab a kenton usb solo, cheap and zero rack space.
tIB
i second the call for maths; seems between that and the qmmg you get a lot of functionality.

theres a thread in here somewhere about the flame as a midi to cv and it doesnt sound too great...you might want to look at a kenton pro solo too if that was going to be your main control.
SquidInSquidInk
OK, looks like the Clockwork is more specialized than I expected. I'll check out the Kenton and luckily there's an ADSR thread going right now, too. The Filterbank has an ADSR/AR generator/follower, but it sounds like I could use more than one.

Anyone have an answer for question #2?
sandyb
SquidInSquidInk wrote:

Anyone have an answer for question #2?

1/4-1/8" cables will be fine. you may need to attenuate signals going from your modular into external gear (i'm not sure what levels the sherman and moog pedals work at) and if you want to bring audio into the modular you'll need an external input module (such as the doepfer a119) to bring things up to modular levels.
SquidInSquidInk
OK, I've revised and refined my plan.

Current long-term goal:

Starting line-up:

Plus an MW case and either a Kenton or MCV4 for MIDI interface.

I'm obviously not 100% on the long-term stuff, but thought I'd post it just to get feedback. Should I save a little money up front and start with the Z3000 instead of the AFG?
ST UF FLI N EAR
Very nic setup! Looks alot like mine.
Ulfo is awesome. But would loose the zorlon for a wogglebug for sure.
Johnisfaster
it seems to me that one envelope generator just wouldn't be enough at all. But that's me.
SquidInSquidInk
I thought the Zorlon would cover both noise generator and randomness, whereas the Wogglebug takes up more space and only does the random thing.

As for envelopes - the Sherman Filterbank has one, so I figured that plus the Maths would hold me for awhile.
wetterberg
SquidInSquidInk wrote:
I thought the Zorlon would cover both noise generator and randomness, whereas the Wogglebug takes up more space and only does the random thing.
the wogglebug does random, yes. it also does random gates, much like the Zorlon, and it has a full-on synth voice full of madness inside.

SquidInSquidInk wrote:
As for envelopes - the Sherman Filterbank has one, so I figured that plus the Maths would hold me for awhile.
oh definitely. You get two Attack-Sustain-Release envelopes with the Maths, add that third a-140 and you've got something.

also, shoot some gates into the a-119 and then take the envelope out from that and you've got a nice little "wharrrpp" source with the qmmg and such. And the qmmg will do nicely with just some triggers as well. No sweat, it's a great little system!!!
Veqtor
I would say that the zorlon vs the wogglebug discussion is hard, since they aren't really the same type of module. The zorlon is a pseudo-random-noise generator, digital noise, whereas the wogglebug uses a strange feedback system to generator slewed, stepped and "woggled" random signals. I'd still drop the zorlon, and get a sound of thunder expansion for the tyme sefari.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1