MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CV recorder to record a sequencer ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author CV recorder to record a sequencer ?
10 Miles High
Dear wigglers,

I use a Moskwa rotosequencer and as each tiny knob covers 10 octaves or so it is really hard to reproduce exactly a once found sequence on the other day or from scratch. The Moskwa goes into a quantizer in chromatic mode.

It would be essential for me to reproduce exactly a sequence which is quite fiddly, especially live.

Do you think I could use a CV recorder (Modcan) succesfully to store a CV sequence ? Does anybody use the Modcan ? If yes, what do you do with it ?

hmmm.....
Navs
Why not just use a digital sequencer with storage?
uh, did he just say the "D" word? hihi

well, at least it wasn't midi

but seriously, its easy to forget digital things exist when your in CV mode
radar24
If you were ok with something other than modular,
Elektron analog 4 is very good CV sequencer and it comes with sounds too smile
Navs
10011001 wrote:
uh, did he just say the "D" word? hihi

well, at least it wasn't midi

but seriously, its easy to forget digital things exist when your in CV mode

Exactly. I fail to see why people waste HP + cash on modular sequencers when digital stand-alones do it better, cheaper. Especially if the aim is to have repeatable sequences for live performance.

I do like sequence sources that are imprecise or can be manipulated, 'tho e.g. an envelope into a quantizer, Brains + Pressure Points, a couple of sync'd VCLFOs into a S&H etc.
nf
Navs wrote:
Exactly. I fail to see why people waste HP + cash on modular sequencers when digital stand-alones do it better, cheaper. Especially if the aim is to have repeatable sequences for live performance.

I do like sequence sources that are imprecise or can be manipulated, 'tho e.g. an envelope into a quantizer, Brains + Pressure Points, a couple of sync'd VCLFOs into a S&H etc.

Can you recommend a good digital CV sequencer? I'm only aware of the Cirklon, which is a bit much for my tastes.
10 Miles High
Thanks for the input !

I have no allergy against MIDI at all but using an analog sequencer (which I already own) I come up with lines which I'd not easily come about in my pianoroll. The problem is then to save the sequence in a way.

Or, as I realize now, having a dedicated quantizer in scale mode is also an option - the sequence which I dial in anew (i.e. playing live) will not be the same but it should still match the song anyway.

whistlin'
Matos
Have you looked into the Modcan touchseq? Brilliant, fun, full of creative possibilities, and the ability to save sequences, group them together into longer sequences, and tons more. Plus I think my main man has one available right now on bst.
pascalm
this combo should allow cv recording, any experiences with this combo?
Dcramer
Brainseed!

The Brainseed does all! thumbs up
Shledge
Flame Quad CV recorder can do this well, but is likely overkill for your needs.
Dave Peck
Or, best of both worlds, the GRP sequencer behaves like a 3X8 step sequencer similar to classics like Moog sequencer, but has 64 internal pattern memories:

http://www.analoguehaven.com/grpsynthesizer/r24/

But something that can help you right now would be to reduce the range of those ten-octave knobs! Patch the output of your sequencer through an attenuator or a spare mixer or spare VCA or some other module that will let you attenuate the signal before that signal goes anywhere else, so a full knob turn has only something like a TWO octave span instead of ten. Once you do that, it will be far easier to dial in the note pattern settings and your quantizer will have an easier time dealing with the signal without warbling between adjacent notes.
CDavis
You could get something like an expert sleepers Es-8 and record your modular sequences into ableton live or any other daw as cv and send them back out to the modular.
Sandrine
The RIT_M would handle this https://www.modulargrid.net/e/sds-digital-rit-m-rhythmsequencer
Under clock it's dead accurate and loop quantized to however long the sequence is. Smooth CV recording up to 2 minutes and editing/overdubbing CV's
ersatzplanet
Analog sequencers are great for "Discovery", the creation of the sequence itself. They are great for oddball timing and playing sequencers into other sequencers or using odd rhythms as clock sources (especially with different step counts that the notes) but they don't remember this stuff of course. Unless you have a ton of cash to have a bunch of sequencers, or you use cheaper step sequencers (I have 2 Division6 Dual Mini Sequencers) the best thing as a compromise is to vet a CV>MIDI converter (The Doepfer A-192-2 for example) and either a hardware MIDI sequencer (I use 2 MMT-8s) and record the CV that way.

I know there is a general distaste for MIDI on analog synth forums, but if you are wanting to do tonal sequences that are more than ostinato Tangerine Dream repeating lines, it is SO MUCH easier to do it with MIDI where you can easily program rhythms and phrasing. I have a bunch of MIDI>CV converters and often just use them to make rhythmic gate trains to clock things. I have run CV step sequencers from them too. Mix it up and use the best of both worlds. Use the standard row/column sequencer to choose the notes, but use MIDI clocks and gate trains to break away rhythmically.
Rex Coil 7
Beatstep or Beatstep Pro?
ear ear
@erstazplanet: how many CV>MIDI converters have you worked with? What did you think of their relative technical limitations/possibilities? There's the Doepfer and the Moon, and what else?

EDIT: I did a bit of digging and this thread is interesting -- makes the distinction between CV>MIDI interfaces that output notes and those that output continuous controllers.

@the OP: ER-101+102?
ersatzplanet
ear ear wrote:
@erstazplanet: how many CV>MIDI converters have you worked with? What did you think of their relative technical limitations/possibilities? There's the Doepfer and the Moon, and what else?

EDIT: I did a bit of digging and this thread is interesting -- makes the distinction between CV>MIDI interfaces that output notes and those that output continuous controllers.

@the OP: ER-101+102?

The only CV>MIDI converter I have and use is the Doepfer A-192 which is a CV to MIDI Continuous Controller converter, not a Note converter. I have heard good things about the Doepfer A-192-2 which is a two channel unit and the ADDAC222 which is a 4-channel unit. The only limitations that these units sometimes have is if you try to send note data faster than they can convert. That is totally up to how the units were designed and what they are using for a processor. The Note converters tend to be faster because they wait for the gate and sample then where the CC converters have to sample at discrete intervals (determined by the maker) since they want to follow moving CV inputs.
buhl89
Im pretty sure hermod records cv.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1