MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ate-oh-ate-nein-oh-nein output level controls
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Author ate-oh-ate-nein-oh-nein output level controls
neandrewthal
Do the output level controls on these projects do anything besides control the volume, like make them distort or sound different or anything like that? I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to omit them if I'm running all my drum modules into a mixer after anyway.
hexinverter
neandrewthal wrote:
Do the output level controls on these projects do anything besides control the volume, like make them distort or sound different or anything like that? I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to omit them if I'm running all my drum modules into a mixer after anyway.


Hiya!

Nope, the controls just modify the output volume for each of the circuits.

However, each of them does it differently...so, if you plan to omit them, you will need to study and alter each circuit so that they simply output unity gain volume at all times.

For example, the method of volume control in the 808 cowbell is completely different than the 808 hihats. So, it's not just a matter of omitting an attenuator on the output of each module or something trivial like that.

If you want to create a dedicated drum mixer for all these designs, I suggest instead making your mixer unity gain and then using the level controls already on each module to control the volume of each element in the mix!
neandrewthal
Thanks, I'll ponder the issue.
rosch
wouldn't it be the easiest way to just bridge 2 pads of the volume pots so it's always cranked up and then omit the pot?
hexinverter
rosch wrote:
wouldn't it be the easiest way to just bridge 2 pads of the volume pots so it's always cranked up and then omit the pot?


Sometimes the pot is acting as a voltage divider, sometimes it is controlling gain, etc...so it depends on the circuit. Like I said, each one is different! Study the circuit and the answer will come to you smile
rosch
alright - but if you turn it all the way up that's what you do: short one side.
so if one wanted to be sure to do it right without studying the theory they should be fine shorting one side and putting a resistor with the pot's value from wiper to the other side.
KnobHell
Stacy, you should add a single mixer to all the 808/909 modules so you can daisy chain them together.

ps. Just finished my Kick drum, sounds awesome!

pps... Now I need another mixer, you can never have enough!
hexinverter
KnobHell wrote:
Stacy, you should add a single mixer to all the 808/909 modules so you can daisy chain them together.

ps. Just finished my Kick drum, sounds awesome!

pps... Now I need another mixer, you can never have enough!


Hehe woot This is fun!

Well yeah, it would be nice! I've thought of making a nice little mixer expansion module for all of them with panning and stuff. Too much other stuff in the works though and not enough time, so it's very far down on the backlog...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group