MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Yamaha CS15D modification
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Yamaha CS15D modification
MacroDX
Hi wigglers,

thought I´d introduce my CS15D modification to you guys.
I´ve always liked its sound and when I eventually grabbed a copy of the service manual I knew I had to make something out of it.
First thing I did was to make the bandpass filter available for channel 2´s manual control. This was simply routing 10V over a switch to the filter selector FET.
The major modification however was to make channel one controllable, too.
Who needs a tuba preset anyway, right? applause
Yamaha´s design really plays right into your hands regarding this mod.
It´s simply replacing the preset PCB with a copy of the channel 2 manual control circuit and substitude the preset switch panel with a custom control panel.

Got this thing working with a good two days work and can only recommend this to anyone who owns this rare synth thumbs up .
The good thing is: you do not have to alter the original circuit or the front panel, so you can always go back to the original state.

Here comes the vid
monstrinho
Wow! I had forgotten how good this thing sounded. I had one of these years ago but ended up selling it when I moved. I'm amazed at the ingenious solution you came up with for the mod. Kudos to you. Oh yeah, and the music on the video is great as well!! applause
a100user
Terrific work.

Sounds great too.
MacroDX
monstrinho wrote:
Wow! I had forgotten how good this thing sounded. I had one of these years ago but ended up selling it when I moved.
cry

Thanks for that feedback guys thumbs up
Rigo
Let's bump this thread, now that I have one to w00t No plans for modding it yet though. It will reside above the SK-30, so I have 3 voices available hihi
MacroDX
I so envy you for that SK-30 woah
Rigo
MacroDX wrote:
I so envy you for that SK-30 woah

Have been lucky with that one ... saw one for sale, but the add was gone quite fast. Turns out that the woman selling it got flooded by offers ... that she found too high hihi A few weeks later she listed it again, and I was fast enough. It was still more expensive than the CS15D though.
I had been looking (sort of) for the bass pedals, but it is probably easier to find a GX-1 Dead Banana Now I can play the synth voice from the SK-30 with the CS15D
Just had some time with the CS15D, even with the simple presets it can sound amazing already w00t
MacroDX
Rigo wrote:
Turns out that the woman selling it got flooded by offers ... that she found too high hihi

lolspew Nice touch, gotta try that sometime, just offer less hihi

Anyways, not to get off-topic too much, if you plan to mod your 15D and need more input I´ll be glad to help thumbs up

I already have a PCB layout in the works using Design Spark PCB. I am no expert at that though. Does not have priority for me anyways since my handwired solution works well enough. But maybe one day I´ll take it to the next level...
Also pending is an amplifier for the external CV inputs. wanna make them Eurorack compatible so I can plug in a 5V signal and have it amplified to the 10V level demanded by the CS.
Rigo
No modding yet, I will first check how well it plays together with the modular. Which means buying an English Tear or something similar for the CV conversion.
midnightmarauder
MacroDX wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Turns out that the woman selling it got flooded by offers ... that she found too high hihi

lolspew Nice touch, gotta try that sometime, just offer less hihi

Anyways, not to get off-topic too much, if you plan to mod your 15D and need more input I´ll be glad to help thumbs up

I already have a PCB layout in the works using Design Spark PCB. I am no expert at that though. Does not have priority for me anyways since my handwired solution works well enough. But maybe one day I´ll take it to the next level...
Also pending is an amplifier for the external CV inputs. wanna make them Eurorack compatible so I can plug in a 5V signal and have it amplified to the 10V level demanded by the CS.

This is so cool, your mod really takes the cs15d to the next level! I also have a cs15d and would really like to mod it with ch1 controls. Some of the presets sounds good when layered with ch2 but hey, controllable is way better. Did you get anywhere with the PCB layout?
drenmc
MacroDX
hi! saw this post about your cs15d mod...maybe you can help me out? I just got one a month ago, and it was working great, but now I lost a couple of notes...play a G and hear an Ab (Ab key plays an Ab as it should), play a C# and hear a D (D plays a D). Something about the key assignment is fouled up. Would you have any idea what might be causing this? It seems like you know yer way around a CD15D pretty well. I'll try PM as well, or if anyone else has an idea about what's wrong...i absolutely love the sound of this thing and have used it on several projects already. thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1