Alternative Keyboards & Interfaces for expression update

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

Nantonos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Nantonos » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:06 am

Jaytee wrote:How about this one?

http://www.ndvr.co/evo/overview/
Its already listed in the first post.

If someone wants one, it has someis tempted by the interesting features (position-sensitive keys, polytouch, OSC connectivity) and is prepared to take the risks (of a non-functioning unit, poor keyboard feel, and unresponsive tech support: all reported problems) now is the time: they seem to be having a fire sale at the moment. Based on comments posted during the abortive NDVR Note campaign, they may be getting out of the keyboard business. Or they may be clearing old stock to attempt to relaunch the Note.

Price is way down from the original €2800 to $499 and now $199. I don't know what the current European pricing is.
Evo now USD 199

NVDR Evo official site.
ondes | current rack
I am afraid a firmware change will not be able to turn a rather expensive 16-bit DAC into a 16-bit ADC, and flip all those op-amps :)

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 am

I have an idea for a keyboard that goes some way to replicating the one on the Animoog, the Endeavour Note still doesn't do it for me, it's just a variation on velocity, I want that back to front touch sensitivity you get on something like the Animoog or the Haken Continuum.
A way that would work is if you have a conventional keyboard, with touch sensitive skins of some sort that formed the top surface of the key, which would be a totally separate CV or Midi source. Surely this is possible ? I dream of having the degree of expression that is the Animmog on a real world keyboard.

MouseGarden.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:03 pm

I've seen videos of a guy who is doing this very thing, it's like flat position sensitive strips that go on your keys to add this kind of control, just can't remember who the guy is? :hmm:

drewtoothpaste

Post by drewtoothpaste » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:40 pm

I use a regular keyboard but slap my freaking hog all over it like crazy

goom
Ultra Wiggler

Post by goom » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:55 pm

I really like the wide variation of new controllers that Synthesizers . com has come up with recently:

http://www.synthesizers.com/controllerbundles.html

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:12 am

Front-to-back touch is the closest you are going to get to an acoustic instrument, you can use both hands, it's set and forget, no reaching for knobs all the time, plus, every time you hit a key it's in a different place, so no two notes ever sound exactly the same, and it is so controllable for deep modulations. Someone has to do this soon, it's the next step for the keyboard, and maybe the last in it's evolution the way things are going.

MouseGarden.

xerxl
Common Wiggler

Post by xerxl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:29 pm

But the Evo does that -no? And for 199 it may well be worth the mentioned risks. The demo anyway sounded pretty cool to me.

Cheers

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:42 am

xerxl wrote:But the Evo does that -no? And for 199 it may well be worth the mentioned risks. The demo anyway sounded pretty cool to me.

Cheers
Maybe ! Looks like it can, sorry, I missed that. Got to be worth investigating, and it's not expensive. I'd need an MCV to use it with a modular though via the computer. And it's not very convenient that you have to use Ethernet.

MouseGarden.

Kazremark
Common Wiggler

Post by Kazremark » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:41 am

Great thread! Anyone know whether poly pressure can be converted to regular aftertouch in the small CME keyboard?

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:55 am

mousegarden wrote:Front-to-back touch is the closest you are going to get to an acoustic instrument, you can use both hands, it's set and forget, no reaching for knobs all the time, plus, every time you hit a key it's in a different place, so no two notes ever sound exactly the same, and it is so controllable for deep modulations. Someone has to do this soon, it's the next step for the keyboard, and maybe the last in it's evolution the way things are going.

MouseGarden.
There was a crowdfunded project in which you added strips on your own keyboard. It was fairly expensive though but the functionality was amazing. I considered adding myself in the list for one octave of strips but the price kept me away. That and the need to use software.

All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Jcsveth
Common Wiggler

Post by Jcsveth » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:40 am

My favorite:
Unfortunately, mine (the standard model) is in storage as I do not have the space to set it up. :waah:
The control options from this are mind-boggling.

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:03 am

Jcsveth wrote:My favorite:
Unfortunately, mine (the standard model) is in storage as I do not have the space to set it up. :waah:
The control options from this are mind-boggling.
Great, lucky you !

:tu:

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:33 am

The biggest drawback for me is when the instrument has to be connected to a computer. That being said, I do love the Manta and I'm hoping that either Jeff will finish the Mantamate or some skilled programmer will at some point push it into being a standalone.

I think every controller should have standard MIDI out and cv but that's often too much to ask for.
Tommy DOG
Punk Rock Star, gambler and stunt double

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:38 pm

revmutt wrote:I think every controller should have standard MIDI out and cv but that's often too much to ask for.
Why ?

Modular is becoming more prolific, I would have thought if you were making a mother keyboard today it would be a potential market grabber to add CV. And come on, how much would it actually add to the cost? sod all probably. They would obviously hype that up though.

MouseGarden.

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:15 pm

It may sound shocking in a day when flipping gear and disposable garbage are the norm but if you have any MIDI gear there might be a desire to use it. In terms of cost the DIN connector used for MIDI only has two of its jumpers connected so its really not a big deal, two wires.

Also, the market is very small for cv as its now very small in terms of supporting anything viewed as old and not cost effective.
mousegarden wrote:
revmutt wrote:I think every controller should have standard MIDI out and cv but that's often too much to ask for.
Why ?

Modular is becoming more prolific, I would have thought if you were making a mother keyboard today it would be a potential market grabber to add CV. And come on, how much would it actually add to the cost? sod all probably. They would obviously hype that up though.

MouseGarden.
Tommy DOG
Punk Rock Star, gambler and stunt double

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:37 am

It is strange only Akai seem to be in this market, apart form the MiniBrute and similar, but they aren't dedicated keyboards.
I suppose an MCV makes more sense, as it allows you to use any Midi keyboard.

Although, one of these would be nice !

:tu:

strangeowl
Common Wiggler

Post by strangeowl » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:17 pm

geo synthesizer for ipad is a lot like the roli seaboard. notes on a 12tone grid, poly pitchbendable by just moving the finger that struck the key.

[video][/video]

mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mousegarden » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:27 pm

strangeowl wrote:geo synthesizer for ipad is a lot like the roli seaboard. notes on a 12tone grid, poly pitchbendable by just moving the finger that struck the key.

[video][/video]
Thank's for that, I'll get it, being an i Pad freak looks like a "must have"
Mind you, it probably helps being Jordan Rudess...

8_)

stevebryson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stevebryson » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:13 pm

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned theremin and breath controllers. The Moog etherwave plus has direct CV outputs and is nicely expressive, combining sound and dance.

Breath controllers are my favorite - I think breath is THE most intuitive and natural expression mode. Very subtle shades of expression are easy and natural with breath, more difficult with my hands. I use the Akai EWI-USB into an Encore Expressionist for conversion from MIDI to CV.
The instrument is not the music.
http://stevepur.com/music/synths/

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:54 pm

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Breath Controllers

Post by Bob Borries » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:52 pm

MRT Audio Midi Breath Controller Comes with they're own Breath Controller and is compatible with Yamaha’s Breath Controller.
http://www.mrtaudio.com/breath-controller.html

MIDI Solutions Breath Controller MIDI converter for use with the discontinued Yamaha BC3A Breath Controller
http://http://www.midisolutions.com/prodbth.htm

Midi Solutions is compatible with this breath controller by Kelfar
http://kelfar.net/BCK-1.htm

TecControl USB Breath Controller USB Breath Controller, Tube included.
www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-midi-breath-controller

TecControl USB Bite & Breath Controller A USB version with bite.
http://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-mi ... ntroller-2

snevlida14
Common Wiggler

Post by snevlida14 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:52 pm

Well I guess I have to sell a body part or something, these are awesome

mush
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mush » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:41 am

I use this one:
[video][/video]

I have redone it since that video, so it outputs lots of CV and can play sequences now. Quite an expensive DIY solution, though.

instruments of things
Learning to Wiggle

2.4SINK Eurorack Sensor Interface

Post by instruments of things » Wed May 15, 2019 5:34 am

2.4SINK wireless sensor interface is currently live on Kickstarter!

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”