MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

oh snap
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Author oh snap
22tape
[quote="consumed"]this might be valuable information to someone: METRIC 2.5 45 10
quote]

hey hans, where did you order those screws from?
consumed
[quote="22tape"]
consumed wrote:
this might be valuable information to someone: METRIC 2.5 45 10
quote]

hey hans, where did you order those screws from?

i actually went down to my local ACE hardware and picked them up for $.05 each.
22tape
fantastic!
22tape
[quote="consumed"]
the rails are from the rack itself. i used the lower rear rail, moved it forward, and rotated it 90 degrees.
quote]

how did you unmount the schroff rails so you could move them?

thanks!
consumed
[quote="22tape"]
consumed wrote:

the rails are from the rack itself. i used the lower rear rail, moved it forward, and rotated it 90 degrees.
quote]

how did you unmount the schroff rails so you could move them?

thanks!

the screws are torx, so you need a torx driver. but you can substitute with a hex wrench or a flathead screwdriver if they are just the right size. you can also damage them.
22tape

hey guys. it's all coming together!

so. that ring needs to be grounded to the case, right? whats the best way to do that? just screw it down?

the other two prongs coming from the mains clip onto the two flat metal posts on the ps?

anything else i should check/be aware of before i start connecting my modules?

woohooo!
consumed
22tape wrote:

so. that ring needs to be grounded to the case, right? whats the best way to do that? just screw it down?

yep! anywhere on the chassis should be ok.
Quote:
the other two prongs coming from the mains clip onto the two flat metal posts on the ps?

yep!
Quote:
anything else i should check/be aware of before i start connecting my modules?

dont plug your modules in upside down =)
and make sure that PSU board (in pic) is screwed down to something so it doesnt short out on the case. i ziptied my transformer into place so it wouldnt slide around. thats all i can think of.
22tape
fantastic!

okay, stupid question. how do i know if i'm plugging it upside down? i'm looking at the ribbon cable of some of my modules....it only has holes on one side.

hans, thanks so much for your help man. much appreciated!
consumed
22tape wrote:
fantastic!

okay, stupid question. how do i know if i'm plugging it upside down? i'm looking at the ribbon cable of some of my modules....it only has holes on one side.

hans, thanks so much for your help man. much appreciated!

sure thing. with doepfer*, the RED stripe on the power ribbon corresponds to -12V, which aligns to the BOTTOM of the bus board (closest to the bus board mounting screws). typically, you will see a -12V indicator on the module's pcb at the power connector. this is the side the red stripe should be aligned.

*this is true for most euro modules, except cwejman and some early plan B.
Roycie Roller
With the two 'prongs' that attaches the cord to the psu- is one negative & one positive?
consumed
Roycie Roller wrote:
With the two 'prongs' that attaches the cord to the psu- is one negative & one positive?

i dont think it matters.
flts
It's AC directly from the mains transformer so nopes, doesn't matter.
DGTom
Awesome thread guys!!!

These pics + all the great info are gonna come in plenty handy I rekon

we're not worthy

I hope to join the euro club very soon, so when my VCS-3 is fully restored it will have someone to play with hyper
flts
DGTom wrote:
I hope to join the euro club very soon, so when my VCS-3 is fully restored it will have someone to play with hyper

hyper

I have access to a studio that has a Putney, it's a really awesome little thing even it's in not too good shape.
DGTom
I love her!!!

Was rescued from an old hippies back shed, so its never been tip-top, but, it 'died' last friday... I'd been meaning to get it looked at d'oh!

Hopefully by this time next week I will have a full diagnostic.

I think not having the EMS made me realize that I need more modular-ness in my life! Plus I found some mods which would make intergrating it into a larger set-up possible, and thru my online research I stumbled on this forum, from which I'm learning alot! (but I can hear my bank card in my wallet getting the nervous sweats)

w00t
Cat-A-Tonic
Heads up.
Elby is stocking Euro subracks now.
In the absence of that great schroff deal Elby may be the ticket for lower cost Euro setups.
It probably depends somewhat on where you're shipping to though.
...still have to DIY a power supply and busboards though.
dougcl
chiachiman is back in action! I just bought two more. Hmmm, I how have 30U. Is that enough? lol
wetterberg
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Heads up.
I checked the elby site, couldn't find them - links, pls?
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Heads up.
I checked the elby site, couldn't find them - links, pls?

3U 19" Subrack A$71.00
160mm deep (220mm and 280mm available on request). Complete with tapped strips.

6U 19" Subrack A$118.00
16mm deep (220mm and 280mm available on request). Complete with tapped strips and rails for 2 rows of 3U modules

http://www.elby-designs.com/panther/subrack/subracks.htm

http://www.elby-designs.com/shopping/enter.html?lmd=39677.348218
Cat-A-Tonic
It looks like chiachiman only has 6 racks left and he has raised his prices by $15 per rack.
If you buy from him make sure you ask for combined shipping and make sure you remind him a couple of times to send the goods.
He totally forgot about my order angry , and when I started getting nervous about their lateness I emailed to inquire.
He admitted that he had forgot to ship my order and it finally got there just in time.
I had to catch a plane out of the counrty the next day and wanted to take the racks with me.
He also said he would disassemble the racks and reduce the shipping cost.
The racks came assembled, but the shipping cost was appropriately reduced.
Damn good deal though. Mr. Green
DGTom
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

3U 19" Subrack A$71.00
160mm deep (220mm and 280mm available on request). Complete with tapped strips.

6U 19" Subrack A$118.00
16mm deep (220mm and 280mm available on request). Complete with tapped strips and rails for 2 rows of 3U modules

http://www.elby-designs.com/panther/subrack/subracks.htm

http://www.elby-designs.com/shopping/enter.html?lmd=39677.348218

Thanks for the info 8)

I couldn't find a price on the site tho, still waiting on a reply to my email.

Being in Australia, the Schroffs deal isn't as great once you add shipping ( still better than a 'retail case' ) - surface is half the price, but I think that would drive me mad waiting!!!!

The elby subracks look really, really nice (as do the Panther modules) hyper

edit: ... found the 'next' link at the bottom of the page on the elby shop page d'oh!
consumed
if you can DIY, these power amps are perfect for a 2-4 rack system:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7602668477

of course you can get the ("International Power" version) amp brand new from mouser for $50.
the "Power-One" branded amps cost about $68 new from mouser.
chinard
Okay, thought i should chime in at this point since i finally got my chassis up and running using the SubRacks from chiachiman and the doepfer DIY kit #1.

The mounting instructions for the rails earlier in the thread worked great.
I did end up bolting them together a little bit differently, I'll post some pics when i get home from work.

The biggest problem i had was with the doepfer DIY kit#1 because it did not ship with a wall-wart transformer. The Specs on that transformer are really weird too (15v AC at 2.5a)
I DID however find an interesting and cheap source for these 15v AC wall warts. MODEL TRAINS!!!
Digitrax PS-315
There are plenty of model train vendors that carry this item, and it costs about $25-30 USD on average. Mine just arrived yesterday, and it works perfectly with the Doepfer DIY#1 kit.
consumed
chinard wrote:
Okay, thought i should chime in at this point since i finally got my chassis up and running using the SubRacks from chiachiman and the doepfer DIY kit #1.

The mounting instructions for the rails earlier in the thread worked great.
I did end up bolting them together a little bit differently, I'll post some pics when i get home from work.

The biggest problem i had was with the doepfer DIY kit#1 because it did not ship with a wall-wart transformer. The Specs on that transformer are really weird too (15v AC at 2.5a)
I DID however find an interesting and cheap source for these 15v AC wall warts. MODEL TRAINS!!!
Digitrax PS-315
There are plenty of model train vendors that carry this item, and it costs about $25-30 USD on average. Mine just arrived yesterday, and it works perfectly with the Doepfer DIY#1 kit.

wow, nice find!
your DIY kit should have come with a transformer btw.
although AH is still shipping the 1100mA jameco supply as far as i can tell.
chinard
consumed wrote:

your DIY kit should have come with a transformer btw.
although AH is still shipping the 1100mA jameco supply as far as i can tell.

Yeah i ordered mine through Technopolis in montreal (canadian doepfer distributor) and they only offered transformers for the DIY kit#2 because both kits actually ship from germany without the transformers cause theirs are all theirs are built for europe spec (220v)
The diy kit#2 uses a pair of standard 12v-DC wall-warts which are easy to source, but they did not have a source for those 15v-AC transformers like the one i posted.

It is convienient that AH is supplying the power supplies for this but im not sure if 1100mA would be enough to power the DIY 1 power supply. (Manual says 2.5a)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 9 of 11