MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

oh snap
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Author oh snap
sandyb
chinard wrote:
consumed wrote:

your DIY kit should have come with a transformer btw.
although AH is still shipping the 1100mA jameco supply as far as i can tell.

It is convienient that AH is supplying the power supplies for this but im not sure if 1100mA would be enough to power the DIY 1 power supply. (Manual says 2.5a)

an 1100mA will work fine with the DIY supply but the problem is that it doesn't provide as much current for modules as the spec doepfer recommend. 1100mA only gives you approx 550mA current for modules (compared to approx 1200mA of the doepfer spec transformer)
dougcl
I had problems with the DIY #1 until I went to a 2.5A 15VAC wall wart. These were available through allelectronics, but I think I got the last two smile
22tape
dougcl wrote:
I had problems with the DIY #1 until I went to a 2.5A 15VAC wall wart. These were available through allelectronics, but I think I got the last two smile

i just checked allelectronics...i can't seem to find anymore angry hihi

where else would be a good place to pick up a 2.5a 15VAC wall wart?

so you still use the kit 1 psu but power it from a 2.5a 15VAC mains? do you get the 1200ma from it?

thanks!
miminashi
Sup, y'all? I am so glad I found this board before I dropped ~$500 on a Doepfer or Analogue Systems case. I just ordered a couple of those much vaunted EuroPAC subracks from chiachiman and I'm planning to cobble together a power supply using one of the recommended Power One supplies or something similar.

I have a couple questions about distributing the power among the subracks.. Are the Doepfer bus boards the best solution, or is there a cheaper/better/easier option? I understand that the Doepfer boards are chainable, but would it be better to split off the power and distribute it to each board individually? I don't think I'll be using the CV/Gate bus, so that might be a factor in seeking a less expensive option.

Also, does anyone have any experience mixing and matching Analogue Systems and Doepfer modules? I don't want to have to shell out $20 for those little adapter boards available at AH. Anyone have any tips for DIYing an adapter cable?

Well, anyway, I am totally stoked about my gestating Eurorack. I've been rocking a System 100M "D Set" for a little while now but I can't wait to patch in some more interesting modules and really make that fucker sing. Thanks to everyone that has already posted so much valuable information.
sandyb
22tape wrote:

so you still use the kit 1 psu but power it from a 2.5a 15VAC mains? do you get the 1200ma from it?

thanks!

this is what i use and i'm pretty sure i get 1200mA. i haven't measured it but i'm powering around 800mA of modules (nearly 4x84hp worth) without issue. if you're in Europe you can get the correct transformer from Doepfer but i don't know of a US source.
sandyb
miminashi wrote:

I have a couple questions about distributing the power among the subracks.. Are the Doepfer bus boards the best solution, or is there a cheaper/better/easier option? I understand that the Doepfer boards are chainable, but would it be better to split off the power and distribute it to each board individually? I don't think I'll be using the CV/Gate bus, so that might be a factor in seeking a less expensive option.

i haven't done it but a diy bus board looks fairly straightforward - check the details in this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1406
there's a whole load of useful information from Scott in that thread if you're considering a diy case of some sort.
As far as daisychaining power boards i think it's generally better to distribute the power to each board individually. this is what the power supply that comes with the Doepfer diy kit does and i've had no issues regarding cross talk etc.
chinard
22tape wrote:
dougcl wrote:

thanks!

I posted this link on the previous page:

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_ps_ps315.php

15VAC 3a power supply for model trains. They appear to be common parts for digital train systems so most model train supply stores carry them for about $25-30 ea.

i bought mine from these guys HERE but there are plenty of other model train stores that would have them
22tape
chinard wrote:
22tape wrote:
dougcl wrote:

thanks!

I posted this link on the previous page:

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_ps_ps315.php

15VAC 3a power supply for model trains. They appear to be common parts for digital train systems so most model train supply stores carry them for about $25-30 ea.

i bought mine from these guys HERE but there are plenty of other model train stores that would have them

so, do those mains plug from digitrack and the model trains place plug into the diy kit 1 power source the same way as the mains shipped with the kit?

thanks.
chinard
22tape wrote:

so, do those mains plug from digitrack and the model trains place plug into the diy kit 1 power source the same way as the mains shipped with the kit?

thanks.

its pretty easy, just clip off the end then crimp on a couple of connectors so that they connect to the terminals. (the kind of connectors you find at your local auto parts supply stores)

Muff Wiggler
reposted from the 'eurorack pics' thread but i wanted to stick these pics in here as well, more examples of these lovely Schroff racks at work...

(blurry moduleis Z3000)
consumed
wow! you stuffed a 3A condor psu in your rack! that thing has got to be heavy as all hell. i just finished reinstalling my power-one haa15-0.8 (1 amp) PSU, which seems to be powering nearly 4x 84hp with no problem.

muff--i would strongly advise you to connect your ac receptacle securely and safely. the last thing you want to do is light up your whole rack (and possibly yourself) with mains voltage. you will get hurt and i imagine youll fry your modules. it is worth ordering a schaeffer panel for. fonik.de has an fpe file for a euro module you can use as a template. it would probably cost you about $20.
consumed
to save a little money, i discovered a way to set up my busboards so that i only need one for every two 84hp racks, and the cables just reach from both rows. the only potential problem is a lack of connectors if i used a ton of small (4hp) modules. as it is, 14 connectors is enough for me for two racks.
parasitk
Muff Wiggler wrote:

Muff, you and photoshop suck. That is all. Mr. Green
kidtesla
That's beautiful muff!!
Muff Wiggler
parasitk wrote:
Muff, you and photoshop suck. That is all. Mr. Green

hihi
Muff Wiggler
consumed wrote:
wow! you stuffed a 3A condor psu in your rack! that thing has got to be heavy as all hell. i just finished reinstalling my power-one haa15-0.8 (1 amp) PSU, which seems to be powering nearly 4x 84hp with no problem.

muff--i would strongly advise you to connect your ac receptacle securely and safely. the last thing you want to do is light up your whole rack (and possibly yourself) with mains voltage. you will get hurt and i imagine youll fry your modules. it is worth ordering a schaeffer panel for. fonik.de has an fpe file for a euro module you can use as a template. it would probably cost you about $20.

you are totally right - this is super good advice

it's only a SMALL consolation, but I have really good insulating shrinkwrap all over the inlet connectors to prevent a short even if it does knock loose...

but it's still one hell of a sketchy setup confused thanks for the info, I will look into a panel for sure
consumed
i got a little paranoid about psus recently when i almost wired up to ac mains with a really low voltage rating wire--it was good i stopped by the electronics store and mentioned my project. on his recommendation, i bought a 120V rated power cord and chopped that up to do my wiring back to the psu. i also ended up installing a humongous DPST rated for 15A (probably overkill).
Muff Wiggler
i used 600v wire, to be super duper ultra safe

i think the 15A switch will be fine 8)

always best practise to over-spec on stuff like this. and also use the DMM to check and recheck and triple-check that things are 'cold' before touching or soldering them. I'm crazy paranoid about this and am forever probing disconnected stuff like i've got an OCD about it. Always better safe then dead....
consumed
yeah for sure. ok, just checking! Combine Overwatch

hey, since were talking about power& here's a picture of my finished thingie.

Muff Wiggler
wow, beautiful job!!! love super pro

what's the case you've mounted the whole thing into?
consumed
tnx! its an ewi tourcase, 12u 10" deep:

http://audiopile.net/products/Cases/RUE-10_series_rack_cases/R12UE-10/ R12UE-10_cutsheet.asp
Muff Wiggler
awesome! thanks, i'll have to pick one of those up at some point - perfect solution
consumed
i got that case recommendation from richard (pugix.net)...looks like his site is down at the moment though.
kidtesla
consumed wrote:

hey, since were talking about power& here's a picture of my finished thingie.

love love love STUNNING!!!(That's amazing!!!)
miminashi
Nice work, consumed. That's a real inspiration. I'm definitely gonna get one of those HAA15s. May I ask where you bought yours? Looks like it's in nice shape.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 10 of 11