MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

oh snap
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Author oh snap
Chuck E. Jesus
Kwote wrote:

hell i used to just have turntables, mixer and records only to get by. probably would've survived just fine off that if i had the desire/will to do so.

see, i know nothing about that stuff, but i always thought i might be able to do that stuff because i have a good beat sense, but i never really had the chance to try...i could never look around for records either...

i'm going to tell you though: back in the 80's in chicago House was the shit, there was no rap (rap and crack hit around here about the same time)...on friday nights i'd have the two black stations, always the classical station, and hopefully a talk station programmed into my old Ford radio....i used to do scratching between the stations, and i have to say i got pretty good at it...to those who only know digital radios the analog storage method actually slid the tuning from one station to the other when you pushed the button, and you could go "wit wit" between the stations...i mean, there was some friggen magic in my old Mustang...

ahh, nevermind...
felix
Muff Wiggler wrote:
i dunno... I already have four joysticks in my system, and two jags. The only thing that really strikes me about that Plan B unit is the kinetic gate, and I can patch the same function using a CGS slope detector (i have two of those also).

Oh...well...fuck you then razz hehehe. (hopefully you know by now that I'm just kidding).

Muff Wiggler wrote:
I will NOT be buying multiples of euro racks and power supplies.
That will be easy...it's really hard to convince oneself to get more even if they're only going with euro. Hopefully Peter's cases will help spur some competition in that avenue.

Muff Wiggler wrote:
With the Zorlon Cannon, I'm not convinced it offers much that I can't achieve with some combination of Dark Star Chaos, Woggle Bug and Noise Ring. Please do correct me if I'm vastly wrong, I admit to not having spent a lot of time pouring over all the specs.....been overwhelmed enough just with my frac gear!
I couldn't tell you as I know next to nothing about the dark star chaos. All I know is the noise (literal "noise") that the Zorlon makes has this beautiful digital richness to it. It's interesting how "digital" from a computer can really sound so much different than "digital" from some micro controllers or simple 8-bit D/As. I fell in love with the Zorlon when I finally got hands on it at NAMM. The psuedo random gates are very cool, and I imagine can be got from the modules you mentioned, but it was the noise (and all the variations of it) that really got me.
Muff Wiggler
f u

hihi you don't need to qualify that you're joking around here SlayerBadger!

so, it's the noise huh? I have a lot (like a lot a lot) of noise modules. Random gates always sound interesting though.... hmm.
felix
Muff Wiggler wrote:
f u
hihi you don't need to qualify that you're joking around here SlayerBadger!

Guinness ftw!

Muff Wiggler wrote:
so, it's the noise huh? I have a lot (like a lot a lot) of noise modules. Random gates always sound interesting though.... hmm.
Yeah, it's so different from white/pink/etc analog noise, and while my extent of digital noise is fairly limited, it sounds very unique to me. Well, unique beyond an Atari 2600, cause it sounds exactly like that to me.

Check out Scott's video demo of it, if you haven't already. He doesn't like it, but I think it's a great demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU6yZS0L-lw

[EDIT]: Weak, he made it a private video...I guess he really didn't like it. Anyway, it sounds rad, it and the Tyme Sefari are the next on my list, so you know I'll have a demo of it soon enough.
Muff Wiggler
youtube won't let me watch that video cry
felix
Muff Wiggler wrote:
youtube won't let me watch that video cry

Damn son, that was fast, I barely had enough time to edit my previous post to say that it's been marked private.
Muff Wiggler
btw, you guys are going to go fucking APESHIT when you see what TipTop Audio has next. I'm absolutely reeling.

It's something that no-one's done before. And when you see what it is, you'll slap yourself on the head and wonder why you didn't think of it yourself.

It's SO OBVIOUS once you see it. AND SO VERY USEFUL TO EVERYONE. And EVERYONE will want one, believe me. It will change the way you approach some very fundamental tasks in your synth - vastly for the better.

Just trust me. This one will be a HUGE surprise. They were just getting warmed up with the Z5000. These guys are gonna blow the lid off your expectations. Believe it. I shouldn't be typing this right now, and honestly wouldn't if I wasn't truly and deeply excited. I don't talk up shit just for the hell of it. this is big.
felix
MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDINGMY ASS IS BLEEDING
J.w.M.
Hmm... Can't wait to see what they come out with next. I'm already really wanting the Z5000 just for using at small live applications (coffeehouse/open mic shite) so I can get some nice effects in a very portable, CV-able unit.
Now if only the front panel was black..........
Kwote
ross g wrote:
Kwote wrote:

hell i used to just have turntables, mixer and records only to get by. probably would've survived just fine off that if i had the desire/will to do so.

see, i know nothing about that stuff, but i always thought i might be able to do that stuff because i have a good beat sense, but i never really had the chance to try...i could never look around for records either...

i'm going to tell you though: back in the 80's in chicago House was the shit, there was no rap (rap and crack hit around here about the same time)...on friday nights i'd have the two black stations, always the classical station, and hopefully a talk station programmed into my old Ford radio....i used to do scratching between the stations, and i have to say i got pretty good at it...to those who only know digital radios the analog storage method actually slid the tuning from one station to the other when you pushed the button, and you could go "wit wit" between the stations...i mean, there was some friggen magic in my old Mustang...

ahh, nevermind...

naw man that's a lovely tale. i have a lot of hip-hop but i don't spin anymore. just skratch. solos, drums, production, jamming with other musicians(a drummer, bass and me is forming). my most used records are generally from the 70's. a have a whole bookshelf full of great classics, and various genres.

anyways the modular was originally for effects on my skratches. and it still is but i loved the modular world too much and now it's become a full blown music solution. gotta keep both arts going.

i'm one of the few guys that owns a modular who doesn't play guitar hihi although i've sorta tried.
Chuck E. Jesus
Kwote wrote:

anyways the modular was originally for effects on my skratches. and it still is but i loved the modular world too much and now it's become a full blown music solution. gotta keep both arts going.

i'm one of the few guys that owns a modular who doesn't play guitar hihi although i've sorta tried.

eventually i want more "hands on" control (ribbon/joystick/etc), then i would need a few more VCAs as well...the VCA thread got me thinking a lot about that stuff...perhaps you could use scratching skills in a similar way?

i really dig running my guitar thru my modular, theres some fun stuff...eventually i'd like to get a pitch> cv mod...the only one i know of is from Analogue Systems and it's a bit of change...Doepfer was rumored to be coming out with one, but i haven't heard much about it lately...
Kwote
i've done some basic triggering of my VCO with skratching. i sent the gate out from the I/O to the EG and the EG to vca. VCO to VCF to VCA. it was a bass patch and i was skratching out some drum samples.

so basically a drumbeat with a bassline. the cool thing is it's not completely accurate so the bassline would flip here and there.

it's actually on a track for a charity organization compilation cd(not out yet).
tragedybysyntax
I need that first tiptop module... fucker is sick!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful verb... just beautiful! Hoping to do a harvestman tyme sefari with expansion and the tiptop for my next order from AH. WOOTWOOT! Will be a big addition to the euro rack fo sho! smile
Chuck E. Jesus
Muff Wiggler wrote:
And when you see what it is, you'll slap yourself on the head and wonder why you didn't think of it yourself.

it'll give me a break from slapping myself somewhere else...
chimologic
Please keep us updated on when the rack arrives + what you end up doing for power supply /etc.. considering getting one for my extra modules currently not on my portable suitcase + some of the new plan b stuff coming up...
Muff Wiggler
hey the Schroff Europak chassis arrived today..... man this is one SERIOUS piece of over-engineered hardware. This thing belongs in a high-end medical facility or something.

I don't know how it compares to a standard eurorack frame - but I can tell you that I have NEVER seen a rack frame that was this heavily engineered. And it barely weighs anything either. serious stuff.

I'll find out tonight or over the weekend how well euro modules actually fit into it... will let you guys know
ehdyn
Yes, received one here as well.

Same impression about the build quality.

It's very compact/lightweight and strong.

Thanks for the heads up MW.
Muff Wiggler
hey what do you make of those rails inside the top and bottom that run through the depth of the chassis? I assume they are supports for some long PCB cards or something.... they may be a pain to remove, I'm waiting to see if they get in the way of the Euro modules.... i'd like them out of there but I don't really have any idea what they are for!

do you have a standard Doepfer frame? how does this beast compare?
flts
Quote:
hey the Schroff Europak chassis arrived today..... man this is one SERIOUS piece of over-engineered hardware. This thing belongs in a high-end medical facility or something.

Well, eurorack IS a DIN industry standard for modular racking of electric equipment, including laboratory equipment... So you might be closer to the truth than you expected smile

Muff Wiggler wrote:
hey what do you make of those rails inside the top and bottom that run through the depth of the chassis? I assume they are supports for some long PCB cards or something.... they may be a pain to remove, I'm waiting to see if they get in the way of the Euro modules.... i'd like them out of there but I don't really have any idea what they are for!

I guess they're same kind of rails that I had in the old eurorack distribution amp that I modified to a modular synth frame. If so then yes, they were for supporting the PCBs of the modules that were fit into it. They weren't too hard to take off, even though I think I just ended breaking them up since I didn't have any use for them. Ones in my rack frame were plastic though, I'm not sure what material Schroff is using.

Oh yeah, and Eurorack modules should fit into those cases perfectly since it's a German industry standard after all... Even the '80s distro amp I used was a perfect fit for all the stuff I've bought so far. So if the modules don't fit perfectly, something is messed up.
ehdyn
Yes, they look to be card supports.

Seems we really lucked out here. $35 for a fit and finish similar to the case of the mac pro.
flts
Come to think of it, I wonder if the distro amp I got for free was something like a Schroff basic frame custom fit to a wooden box... It wasn't in a perfect shiny shape since it had been in use for around 15-20 years - but it was damn sturdy, light and looked like it had been an expensive job.

Can you guys post pics of the frame?
ehdyn
Without camera right now - saving up for an infrared modded.

Yeah, looks like a hand-carved from solid hunk of aluminium jobby-save for the vast quantity of screws. Very bling.

Really thinking to buy several more. Wont be able to find real-estate at these prices again.

Now, onto power. Just received the latest digikey/mouser in the post yesterday.
Muff Wiggler
quick update - i took some pics which i'll put up later so you guys can get a better look at this rack but......

1) the one euro module I have fits with military precision into this thing, they were obviously designed to go together

2) you have to get the strange inner rails (tons of them) out of the thing first, which is easier said than done

3) it's been said that if you flip the ears to the other side you can mount frac modules. i don't see how this is possible

4) getting the stuff out of the inside is HARD. I can't even get the rack ears off. all the bolts need a really strange driver that I don't have, some star thingy

5) my TipTop module looks super sweet sitting in here

6) i don't even have the right bolts to screw the module into the rack, frack screws won't work

7) eurorack is a strange world
consumed
Muff Wiggler wrote:
4) getting the stuff out of the inside is HARD. I can't even get the rack ears off. all the bolts need a really strange driver that I don't have, some star thingy

maybe its a torx?

http://www.tecratools.com/pages/service/torx_drivers.html
Muff Wiggler
yep that's it - couldn't think of the name 'torx' when writing that post. i've been stuck needing a torx driver in the past as well, i should probably buy one
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 2 of 11