MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

oh snap
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Author oh snap
flts
Quote:
2) you have to get the strange inner rails (tons of them) out of the thing first, which is easier said than done

Are they plastic or metal? How are they attached? You might be able to just take a sturdy screwdriver and do like Luke - use the force hihi

Quote:
3) it's been said that if you flip the ears to the other side you can mount frac modules. i don't see how this is possible

I was wondering this too, I don't have a single frac module to try it out with so I couldn't figure out what they mean by "flipping ears to the other side"

Quote:
4) getting the stuff out of the inside is HARD. I can't even get the rack ears off. all the bolts need a really strange driver that I don't have, some star thingy

Luckily my box had a bog standard cross slotted screws.

At some point after I had to swap memory and HD in my old PowerBook, tighten the screws on my bicycle, open my mobile phone so my roomie could take a look at it, et cetera... I just gave up, went to ye olde tool shoppe and bought two or three sets of screwdriver tips for about every common screw out there. Standard, Philips/Frearson, hex (metric or imperial size), torx or whatever, I should be out of trouble as long as I actually have a large enough tip around...
Muff Wiggler
a few pics...

if you want to see all the pics, look here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/gear/euro/
Kwote

lol. guinness.
Muff Wiggler
always guinness. Guinness ftw!
flts
OK... Shit, that looks way more hi-tech than mine eek! Looks entirely different in construction but awesome. Time to get a PSU and the power distribution boards...

Oh, seems like you used the same method for inner rail removal than I did lol
Muff Wiggler
flts wrote:
Oh, seems like you used the same method for inner rail removal than I did lol

were your hands all torn up and ground to shit like mine are?

oh those nice cheese-grater-alike panels on the top and bottom can do a job on you as well mad

pretty damn happy for $35 though. I should have got 2 of them really....

i think i just tore up and threw away well over $35 of material from this thing to be left with a super-nice euro frame afterwards 8)
flts
Muff Wiggler wrote:
were your hands all torn up and ground to shit like mine are?

Pretty much yeah even though mine didn't have the cheesegrater panels, just solid aluminium stuff... The best I managed to mess up was that I was trying to get something unattached with pliers (possibly one of the card holders), used about as much force as I could, and my hands slipped so the right hand hit the sharp corner of the damn rack. I still have a nice little mark in my right hand very frustrating

Quote:
pretty damn happy for $35 though. I should have got 2 of them really....
i think i just tore up and threw away well over $35 of material from this thing to be left with a super-nice euro frame afterwards 8)

Yeah, it was really a killer deal for all of you in Canada / USA... Lucky I still have 6U worth of frame to work on if I need another Euro box for myself. My friend already asked me to give it to him though, apparently he's got the modular lust again after filling up one or two racks of System 100 modular... lol
ehdyn
!

Can't believe you tore out all of those guide rails.

Like to chew through mountains in your spare time?

Remind me never to fuck with you.

we're not worthy
Muff Wiggler
bare hands and all twisted

and i've got the missing skin to prove it cry

Quote:
Like to chew through mountains in your spare time?

actually.... kinda, yeah.
zerosum
Guinness ftw! thumbs up
tragedybysyntax
Holly shit..... and all the holes line up with the euro modules? WOW. I need a pair of those!!!!!!! =o
chimologic
new auction linik:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Schroff-EuroPAC-Chassis-Subrack-Enclosure-3U-19-rac k_W0QQitemZ270236228067QQihZ017QQcategoryZ64061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

just ordered one.

please keep us updated on what you do with power supply, really curious which way you go, I am thinkign a combination of doepfer stuff might be easiest (back panel with mounting holes for ps, ps, and power board) but I am sure that would spike the price up way too much...

Carlos
Chuck E. Jesus
chimologic wrote:
new auction linik:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Schroff-EuroPAC-Chassis-Subrack-Enclosure-3U-19-rac k_W0QQitemZ270236228067QQihZ017QQcategoryZ64061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

just ordered one.

please keep us updated on what you do with power supply, really curious which way you go, I am thinkign a combination of doepfer stuff might be easiest (back panel with mounting holes for ps, ps, and power board) but I am sure that would spike the price up way too much...

Carlos

i bought a back panel but then sent it back, it was not necessary...i did use the Doepfer PSU and Buss board, i added an inline fuse holder and a power cord, i just fire it up from a rack power strip for my rack gear...not sure about other power supplies...
Muff Wiggler
thanks for posting the updated link chimologic 8)

I'm also curious to hear what others do - I had not considered the Doepfer back panel, now I just flipped-flopped in the span of about 10 seconds reading these two posts..... yours made me think I should get one, then Ross's made me realize I probably wouldn't need to.

For me, I have a Doepfer bus board coming, thanks to Sandyb who placed a lare order straight from Doepfer and very kindly offered to add a busboard for me to this order. Thanks again Sandy 8)

For power, I'm probably going to wait a bit untill the busboard arrives (I've been bleeding money in every direction lately), then order the A-100 PSU2 from AH, and then get crafty on a way to mount the board and PSU in the case I have. Not worried about wiring up the fuse holder and power cord, although I'll probably bug you guys for a photo when the time comes
Chuck E. Jesus
looks like you could just bolt the PSU to the bottom of the subrack toward the back...
D/A A/D
'Bout time I got around to these parts... I rocked one of these cases as well, it showed up today - so I can't wait to get home. As for the internals I am a building a MFOS Bi-Polar wall wart PSU which is clocking in at just under $90 all said and done. I am hoping he included a 6hp blank so I can mount the adapter jack and a on/off switch to it (maybe a LED to eat up a few mA).

So yeah, I need to track down a Doepfer A-100 Bus Board now... I am stoked for all this to come together, as the one thing holding me back from a larger Euro setup was the cost of cases. After all is said and done I have a (sexy) 84hp sub-rack with PSU for $150cdn.

I am interested to hear how other people plan to mount the bus to the cases, I have some ideas in my head - but my head is broken most of the time.

Alex
D/A A/D
Gawd damn... So yeah, spent over 3 hours ripping shit off of this badboy tonight. Lucky for me out 24 hour Walmart sells torx bits... I also removed all the aluminum cheese graters from the rails, and the threaded inserts for the rails and replaced them with another set that sits further forward, no need for long screws now.

I'll post pics, and I have quite a few more of the thread strips left for the rails if anyone else wants to mod their case.

Alex
Muff Wiggler
awesome...please do post pics (there's an integrated image upload tool here in the forum, but you have to hit the main 'reply' buttons on the threads - it's not available in the 'quick reply panel').

I'm looking forward to seeing what you mean about those rails - the 'long screws' problem has been sorta bugging me.

helluva case for $35, no?
D/A A/D

Its kinda hard to capture, but hopefully you get the idea.

Alex
Paulyvoks
Wowee. Busy Beavers!

I ordered 3 of these. 2 for modules and another to house the Klee sequencer i will more than likey get killed building.

D/A A/D wrote:

I'll post pics, and I have quite a few more of the thread strips left for the rails if anyone else wants to mod their case.

Alex

Those are perfect! Where did you get those?

I need some. eek!
D/A A/D
Paulyvoks wrote:
Those are perfect! Where did you get those?

I need some. eek!

I salvaged an old modular dial up modem rack, each rail has 3 inserts. I had to (not so gently) tap one of them in to the new sub-rack. I think I will have 14 or so left, I have promised a few to a friend already.

I will take inventory of what I have left as far as inserts and 2.5mm screws tonight hopefully. My case is now lighter and more streamlined to what I need, I forgot the mention it was damaged in shipping - thank god for rubber mallets...

I was going to order a second case, but I am holding off for either a frac or serge setup.

alex
Muff Wiggler
Alex - thanks for posting the pics - great work! Makes sense to me, I think I can see what you did here.

I would very much be interested in some of those inserts and screws if you happen to end up with some extras.

great stuff 8)
D/A A/D
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Alex - thanks for posting the pics - great work! Makes sense to me, I think I can see what you did here.

I would very much be interested in some of those inserts and screws if you happen to end up with some extras.

great stuff 8)

Cool. As stated I'll figure out what I have... You should totally take the cheese graters of yours dude...
Muff Wiggler
i need to pick up a torx driver set - but i couldn't agree more - that shit has to go!
D/A A/D
Muff Wiggler wrote:
i need to pick up a torx driver set - but i couldn't agree more - that shit has to go!

Wallmart, $7.69, Fuller made in Canada...

sweet.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 3 of 11