MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

oh snap
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author oh snap
Muff Wiggler
i just bought a eurorack frame Dead Banana

it was $35 headcrabs!
felix
Wicked. Welcome to the fold. Now you just need some AFGs! hyper
Muff Wiggler
anyone wanna sell me a small power supply and a single busboard?
Muff Wiggler
oh yeah, and you can officially put me on the 'waiting for a Tyme Sefari' list.

i'm fully disgusted with myself by the way MY ASS IS BLEEDING

we can all put the blame squarely on TipTop Audio.
a100user
hyper hihi lol lol lol lol lol lol lol love love love

Slippery slope, slippery slope.

Welcome to the club Mr. Green
Chuck E. Jesus
w00t lol w00t lol w00t lol
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
MY ASS IS BLEEDING

lol!
ehdyn
Pardon me, would you mind sharing where you acquired your frame?

How does http://www.schroff.us/home.asp compare to Doepfer?
sandyb
now where is that thread from a month or so ago - "why i'm not getting into euro..."

lol

just watch that that 1 case doesn't turn into 2, then 3 then.....
Kwote
sandyb wrote:
now where is that thread from a month or so ago - "why i'm not getting into euro..."

lol

he'll have to morph into plastic man just to move around the room and jam out. reorganizing ain't gonna save ya.
J.w.M.
Soon it's not gonna be bubble wrap you're stepping on-- it'll be modules that have spread to every square inch of your studio.
Muff Wiggler
ehdyn wrote:

Yeah, no problem, I got it here:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Schroff-EuroPAC-Chassis-Subrack-Enclosure-3U-19-rac k_W0QQitemZ270233276001QQihZ017QQcategoryZ64061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

The guy has 120 of them, $35 each.

As far as I'm aware (and I'm not a euro-rack expert), Schroff makes the frames for Doepfer, so they would be the same thing....
J.w.M.
Oh, wonderful. Now I'm tempted. 8)
ehdyn
Much obliged for the link.
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
ehdyn wrote:

Yeah, no problem, I got it here:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Schroff-EuroPAC-Chassis-Subrack-Enclosure-3U-19-rac k_W0QQitemZ270233276001QQihZ017QQcategoryZ64061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

The guy has 120 of them, $35 each.

As far as I'm aware (and I'm not a euro-rack expert), Schroff makes the frames for Doepfer, so they would be the same thing....

the funny thing is if that had been around when i first had any clue what a modular was i would've ended up with doepfer.

as it stands i ended up frac. aye go figure aye.
ehdyn
Just placed an order.
Shipping is more than the unit.
Muff Wiggler
Yeah shipping was more than the unit for me as well - I'm assuming they are shipping in 'assembled' form, so it'll be a bigger box than unassembled. Nice change from the usual though, this is shipping to me FROM canada, so no customs fees and it'll be here fast.

Apparently with these units you can flip the mounting ears to the 'rear' (turning it into the 'front') and then you can mount Frac modules into it instead if you want.

Bear in mind - these dont have power sources or busboards at all. And they are usually $500. This guy apparently just ended up with a wholesale lot that's he's dumping - not going to be a common thing I think.

So, I still wouldn't have started on Euro if these were around back in the day - so it's $35 less than a Blacet frame. Big whoop. You still have to deal with power and busboards etc. etc. And Frac modules are still black hihi
Muff Wiggler
sandyb wrote:

lol

I will not grow a large Eurorack rig. mad

I will not extend to multiple cabinets of Euro. d'oh!

I will have some TipTop Audio modules racked up for beta testing. 8)

I will have a Tyme Sefari & Expansion at some point. twisted

I will have a Plan B programmable tap clock at some point. w00t

It's really not going to go much beyond there. I may pick up a Dual Cyclotron and/or an AFG if I happen to bump into them on the used market at a time when I have the cash around.

But all the stuff I said in the 'not going euro' thread still remains true. Please don't anyone hold their breath on an ever-expanding Euro rig over here. It's not going to happen.

I only did this because I'm going to need to do something to support TipTop's modules, and I happened to find out about these cheap racks. Otherwise this wouldn't be happening.

It's all TipTop's fault cry
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:

So, I still wouldn't have started on Euro if these were around back in the day - so it's $35 less than a Blacet frame. Big whoop. You still have to deal with power and busboards etc. etc. And Frac modules are still black hihi

well my first intro to modular was doepfer by word of mouth. i drooled over em on AH and felt overwhelmed by the price and the strangeness of having to physically patch wires. ooohhhhh. aaahhhh.

sadly i was pretty damn broke and put the dream on the shelf. that was fall 06.

in May 07 things started to pick up for me financially and i got the modular itch again. but this time i researched it deeper and found frac!! bought my first skb, frac rack, psu and modules in June 07. the rest is history.
sandyb
Muff Wiggler wrote:
sandyb wrote:

lol

I will not grow a large Eurorack rig. mad

I will not extend to multiple cabinets of Euro. d'oh!

I will have some TipTop Audio modules racked up for beta testing. 8)

It's really not going to go much beyond there. I may pick up a Dual Cyclotron and/or an AFG if I happen to bump into them on the used market at a time when I have the cash around.

But all the stuff I said in the 'not going euro' thread still remains true. Please don't anyone hold their breath on an ever-expanding Euro rig over here. It's not going to happen.

I only did this because I'm going to need to do something to support TipTop's modules, and I happened to find out about these cheap racks. Otherwise this wouldn't be happening.

It's all TipTop's fault cry

very frustrating must resist love

smile
felix
Muff Wiggler wrote:

I'll put money down that you'll pick up at least one of the Plan B "Vector Plotter" joystick mods. I know I'll get at least 1 because it's so much more bad ass than what I was going to make with my joysticks.

I'd also give good odds towards a Harvestman Zorlon Canon in your future. Nothing fits with that Tyme Sefari like a Zorlon Canon.
Muff Wiggler
i dunno... I already have four joysticks in my system, and two jags. The only thing that really strikes me about that Plan B unit is the kinetic gate, and I can patch the same function using a CGS slope detector (i have two of those also).

I have to admit a strong affinity to all the Harvestman stuff. But I'm being a total scrooge with Euro gear. It's gotta offer me something UNIQUE, IMPORTANT and something I can't do with existing modules. I've basically bought as many frac modules as I could find and afford. That's not gonna be the case with euro stuff, because it's not going beyond a single frame, or two at most. I will NOT be buying multiples of euro racks and power supplies. With the Zorlon Cannon, I'm not convinced it offers much that I can't achieve with some combination of Dark Star Chaos, Woggle Bug and Noise Ring. Please do correct me if I'm vastly wrong, I admit to not having spent a lot of time pouring over all the specs.....been overwhelmed enough just with my frac gear!
Chuck E. Jesus
i just think a well rounded system and solid ideas will result in good music, i can't be bothered with the format wars...i've already said i have a smaller system than some, bigger than others...but i have an endless amount of variety, and any mods i add will expand on my options...i am just so fucking happy with what i have, anything on top of it is cool stacked on cool, and i think most of us are in the same situation.... thumbs up
Kwote
yeah format doesn't mean shit to me, but frac satisfies what i'm going for. fresh sounding, affordable, not impending on my already limited space. easy enough to find, buy used or new and build.

of course other formats have their appeal but there's so much just within frac that i feel overwhelmed enough. i really don't think having various formats is gonna make or break me as an artist.

hell i used to just have turntables, mixer and records only to get by. probably would've survived just fine off that if i had the desire/will to do so.
Muff Wiggler
no matter what stuff i buy, and how much of it, my tunes will always suck

i knew that before even buying my first module razz
Chuck E. Jesus
Kwote wrote:

hell i used to just have turntables, mixer and records only to get by. probably would've survived just fine off that if i had the desire/will to do so.

see, i know nothing about that stuff, but i always thought i might be able to do that stuff because i have a good beat sense, but i never really had the chance to try...i could never look around for records either...

i'm going to tell you though: back in the 80's in chicago House was the shit, there was no rap (rap and crack hit around here about the same time)...on friday nights i'd have the two black stations, always the classical station, and hopefully a talk station programmed into my old Ford radio....i used to do scratching between the stations, and i have to say i got pretty good at it...to those who only know digital radios the analog storage method actually slid the tuning from one station to the other when you pushed the button, and you could go "wit wit" between the stations...i mean, there was some friggen magic in my old Mustang...

ahh, nevermind...
felix
Muff Wiggler wrote:
i dunno... I already have four joysticks in my system, and two jags. The only thing that really strikes me about that Plan B unit is the kinetic gate, and I can patch the same function using a CGS slope detector (i have two of those also).

Oh...well...fuck you then razz hehehe. (hopefully you know by now that I'm just kidding).

Muff Wiggler wrote:
I will NOT be buying multiples of euro racks and power supplies.
That will be easy...it's really hard to convince oneself to get more even if they're only going with euro. Hopefully Peter's cases will help spur some competition in that avenue.

Muff Wiggler wrote:
With the Zorlon Cannon, I'm not convinced it offers much that I can't achieve with some combination of Dark Star Chaos, Woggle Bug and Noise Ring. Please do correct me if I'm vastly wrong, I admit to not having spent a lot of time pouring over all the specs.....been overwhelmed enough just with my frac gear!
I couldn't tell you as I know next to nothing about the dark star chaos. All I know is the noise (literal "noise") that the Zorlon makes has this beautiful digital richness to it. It's interesting how "digital" from a computer can really sound so much different than "digital" from some micro controllers or simple 8-bit D/As. I fell in love with the Zorlon when I finally got hands on it at NAMM. The psuedo random gates are very cool, and I imagine can be got from the modules you mentioned, but it was the noise (and all the variations of it) that really got me.
Muff Wiggler
f u

hihi you don't need to qualify that you're joking around here SlayerBadger!

so, it's the noise huh? I have a lot (like a lot a lot) of noise modules. Random gates always sound interesting though.... hmm.
felix
Muff Wiggler wrote:
f u
hihi you don't need to qualify that you're joking around here SlayerBadger!

Guinness ftw!

Muff Wiggler wrote:
so, it's the noise huh? I have a lot (like a lot a lot) of noise modules. Random gates always sound interesting though.... hmm.
Yeah, it's so different from white/pink/etc analog noise, and while my extent of digital noise is fairly limited, it sounds very unique to me. Well, unique beyond an Atari 2600, cause it sounds exactly like that to me.

Check out Scott's video demo of it, if you haven't already. He doesn't like it, but I think it's a great demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU6yZS0L-lw

[EDIT]: Weak, he made it a private video...I guess he really didn't like it. Anyway, it sounds rad, it and the Tyme Sefari are the next on my list, so you know I'll have a demo of it soon enough.
Muff Wiggler
youtube won't let me watch that video cry
felix
Muff Wiggler wrote:
youtube won't let me watch that video cry

Damn son, that was fast, I barely had enough time to edit my previous post to say that it's been marked private.
Muff Wiggler
btw, you guys are going to go fucking APESHIT when you see what TipTop Audio has next. I'm absolutely reeling.

It's something that no-one's done before. And when you see what it is, you'll slap yourself on the head and wonder why you didn't think of it yourself.

It's SO OBVIOUS once you see it. AND SO VERY USEFUL TO EVERYONE. And EVERYONE will want one, believe me. It will change the way you approach some very fundamental tasks in your synth - vastly for the better.

Just trust me. This one will be a HUGE surprise. They were just getting warmed up with the Z5000. These guys are gonna blow the lid off your expectations. Believe it. I shouldn't be typing this right now, and honestly wouldn't if I wasn't truly and deeply excited. I don't talk up shit just for the hell of it. this is big.
felix
MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDINGMY ASS IS BLEEDING
J.w.M.
Hmm... Can't wait to see what they come out with next. I'm already really wanting the Z5000 just for using at small live applications (coffeehouse/open mic shite) so I can get some nice effects in a very portable, CV-able unit.
Now if only the front panel was black..........
Kwote
ross g wrote:
Kwote wrote:

see, i know nothing about that stuff, but i always thought i might be able to do that stuff because i have a good beat sense, but i never really had the chance to try...i could never look around for records either...

i'm going to tell you though: back in the 80's in chicago House was the shit, there was no rap (rap and crack hit around here about the same time)...on friday nights i'd have the two black stations, always the classical station, and hopefully a talk station programmed into my old Ford radio....i used to do scratching between the stations, and i have to say i got pretty good at it...to those who only know digital radios the analog storage method actually slid the tuning from one station to the other when you pushed the button, and you could go "wit wit" between the stations...i mean, there was some friggen magic in my old Mustang...

ahh, nevermind...

naw man that's a lovely tale. i have a lot of hip-hop but i don't spin anymore. just skratch. solos, drums, production, jamming with other musicians(a drummer, bass and me is forming). my most used records are generally from the 70's. a have a whole bookshelf full of great classics, and various genres.

anyways the modular was originally for effects on my skratches. and it still is but i loved the modular world too much and now it's become a full blown music solution. gotta keep both arts going.

i'm one of the few guys that owns a modular who doesn't play guitar hihi although i've sorta tried.
Chuck E. Jesus
Kwote wrote:

anyways the modular was originally for effects on my skratches. and it still is but i loved the modular world too much and now it's become a full blown music solution. gotta keep both arts going.

i'm one of the few guys that owns a modular who doesn't play guitar hihi although i've sorta tried.

eventually i want more "hands on" control (ribbon/joystick/etc), then i would need a few more VCAs as well...the VCA thread got me thinking a lot about that stuff...perhaps you could use scratching skills in a similar way?

i really dig running my guitar thru my modular, theres some fun stuff...eventually i'd like to get a pitch> cv mod...the only one i know of is from Analogue Systems and it's a bit of change...Doepfer was rumored to be coming out with one, but i haven't heard much about it lately...
Kwote
i've done some basic triggering of my VCO with skratching. i sent the gate out from the I/O to the EG and the EG to vca. VCO to VCF to VCA. it was a bass patch and i was skratching out some drum samples.

so basically a drumbeat with a bassline. the cool thing is it's not completely accurate so the bassline would flip here and there.

it's actually on a track for a charity organization compilation cd(not out yet).
tragedybysyntax
I need that first tiptop module... fucker is sick!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful verb... just beautiful! Hoping to do a harvestman tyme sefari with expansion and the tiptop for my next order from AH. WOOTWOOT! Will be a big addition to the euro rack fo sho! smile
Chuck E. Jesus
Muff Wiggler wrote:
And when you see what it is, you'll slap yourself on the head and wonder why you didn't think of it yourself.

it'll give me a break from slapping myself somewhere else...
chimologic
Please keep us updated on when the rack arrives + what you end up doing for power supply /etc.. considering getting one for my extra modules currently not on my portable suitcase + some of the new plan b stuff coming up...
Muff Wiggler
hey the Schroff Europak chassis arrived today..... man this is one SERIOUS piece of over-engineered hardware. This thing belongs in a high-end medical facility or something.

I don't know how it compares to a standard eurorack frame - but I can tell you that I have NEVER seen a rack frame that was this heavily engineered. And it barely weighs anything either. serious stuff.

I'll find out tonight or over the weekend how well euro modules actually fit into it... will let you guys know
ehdyn
Yes, received one here as well.

Same impression about the build quality.

It's very compact/lightweight and strong.

Thanks for the heads up MW.
Muff Wiggler
hey what do you make of those rails inside the top and bottom that run through the depth of the chassis? I assume they are supports for some long PCB cards or something.... they may be a pain to remove, I'm waiting to see if they get in the way of the Euro modules.... i'd like them out of there but I don't really have any idea what they are for!

do you have a standard Doepfer frame? how does this beast compare?
flts
Quote:
hey the Schroff Europak chassis arrived today..... man this is one SERIOUS piece of over-engineered hardware. This thing belongs in a high-end medical facility or something.

Well, eurorack IS a DIN industry standard for modular racking of electric equipment, including laboratory equipment... So you might be closer to the truth than you expected smile

Muff Wiggler wrote:
hey what do you make of those rails inside the top and bottom that run through the depth of the chassis? I assume they are supports for some long PCB cards or something.... they may be a pain to remove, I'm waiting to see if they get in the way of the Euro modules.... i'd like them out of there but I don't really have any idea what they are for!

I guess they're same kind of rails that I had in the old eurorack distribution amp that I modified to a modular synth frame. If so then yes, they were for supporting the PCBs of the modules that were fit into it. They weren't too hard to take off, even though I think I just ended breaking them up since I didn't have any use for them. Ones in my rack frame were plastic though, I'm not sure what material Schroff is using.

Oh yeah, and Eurorack modules should fit into those cases perfectly since it's a German industry standard after all... Even the '80s distro amp I used was a perfect fit for all the stuff I've bought so far. So if the modules don't fit perfectly, something is messed up.
ehdyn
Yes, they look to be card supports.

Seems we really lucked out here. $35 for a fit and finish similar to the case of the mac pro.
flts
Come to think of it, I wonder if the distro amp I got for free was something like a Schroff basic frame custom fit to a wooden box... It wasn't in a perfect shiny shape since it had been in use for around 15-20 years - but it was damn sturdy, light and looked like it had been an expensive job.

Can you guys post pics of the frame?
ehdyn
Without camera right now - saving up for an infrared modded.

Yeah, looks like a hand-carved from solid hunk of aluminium jobby-save for the vast quantity of screws. Very bling.

Really thinking to buy several more. Wont be able to find real-estate at these prices again.

Now, onto power. Just received the latest digikey/mouser in the post yesterday.
Muff Wiggler
quick update - i took some pics which i'll put up later so you guys can get a better look at this rack but......

1) the one euro module I have fits with military precision into this thing, they were obviously designed to go together

2) you have to get the strange inner rails (tons of them) out of the thing first, which is easier said than done

3) it's been said that if you flip the ears to the other side you can mount frac modules. i don't see how this is possible

4) getting the stuff out of the inside is HARD. I can't even get the rack ears off. all the bolts need a really strange driver that I don't have, some star thingy

5) my TipTop module looks super sweet sitting in here

6) i don't even have the right bolts to screw the module into the rack, frack screws won't work

7) eurorack is a strange world
consumed
Muff Wiggler wrote:
4) getting the stuff out of the inside is HARD. I can't even get the rack ears off. all the bolts need a really strange driver that I don't have, some star thingy

maybe its a torx?

http://www.tecratools.com/pages/service/torx_drivers.html
Muff Wiggler
yep that's it - couldn't think of the name 'torx' when writing that post. i've been stuck needing a torx driver in the past as well, i should probably buy one
flts
Quote:
2) you have to get the strange inner rails (tons of them) out of the thing first, which is easier said than done

Are they plastic or metal? How are they attached? You might be able to just take a sturdy screwdriver and do like Luke - use the force hihi

Quote:
3) it's been said that if you flip the ears to the other side you can mount frac modules. i don't see how this is possible

I was wondering this too, I don't have a single frac module to try it out with so I couldn't figure out what they mean by "flipping ears to the other side"

Quote:

Luckily my box had a bog standard cross slotted screws.

At some point after I had to swap memory and HD in my old PowerBook, tighten the screws on my bicycle, open my mobile phone so my roomie could take a look at it, et cetera... I just gave up, went to ye olde tool shoppe and bought two or three sets of screwdriver tips for about every common screw out there. Standard, Philips/Frearson, hex (metric or imperial size), torx or whatever, I should be out of trouble as long as I actually have a large enough tip around...
Muff Wiggler
a few pics...

if you want to see all the pics, look here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/gear/euro/
Kwote

lol. guinness.
Muff Wiggler
always guinness. Guinness ftw!
flts
OK... Shit, that looks way more hi-tech than mine eek! Looks entirely different in construction but awesome. Time to get a PSU and the power distribution boards...

Oh, seems like you used the same method for inner rail removal than I did lol
Muff Wiggler
flts wrote:
Oh, seems like you used the same method for inner rail removal than I did lol

were your hands all torn up and ground to shit like mine are?

oh those nice cheese-grater-alike panels on the top and bottom can do a job on you as well mad

pretty damn happy for $35 though. I should have got 2 of them really....

i think i just tore up and threw away well over $35 of material from this thing to be left with a super-nice euro frame afterwards 8)
flts
Muff Wiggler wrote:
were your hands all torn up and ground to shit like mine are?

Pretty much yeah even though mine didn't have the cheesegrater panels, just solid aluminium stuff... The best I managed to mess up was that I was trying to get something unattached with pliers (possibly one of the card holders), used about as much force as I could, and my hands slipped so the right hand hit the sharp corner of the damn rack. I still have a nice little mark in my right hand very frustrating

Quote:
pretty damn happy for $35 though. I should have got 2 of them really....
i think i just tore up and threw away well over $35 of material from this thing to be left with a super-nice euro frame afterwards 8)

Yeah, it was really a killer deal for all of you in Canada / USA... Lucky I still have 6U worth of frame to work on if I need another Euro box for myself. My friend already asked me to give it to him though, apparently he's got the modular lust again after filling up one or two racks of System 100 modular... lol
ehdyn
!

Can't believe you tore out all of those guide rails.

Like to chew through mountains in your spare time?

Remind me never to fuck with you.

we're not worthy
Muff Wiggler
bare hands and all twisted

and i've got the missing skin to prove it cry

Quote:
Like to chew through mountains in your spare time?

actually.... kinda, yeah.
zerosum
Guinness ftw! thumbs up
tragedybysyntax
Holly shit..... and all the holes line up with the euro modules? WOW. I need a pair of those!!!!!!! =o
chimologic
new auction linik:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Schroff-EuroPAC-Chassis-Subrack-Enclosure-3U-19-rac k_W0QQitemZ270236228067QQihZ017QQcategoryZ64061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

just ordered one.

please keep us updated on what you do with power supply, really curious which way you go, I am thinkign a combination of doepfer stuff might be easiest (back panel with mounting holes for ps, ps, and power board) but I am sure that would spike the price up way too much...

Carlos
Chuck E. Jesus
chimologic wrote:
new auction linik:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Schroff-EuroPAC-Chassis-Subrack-Enclosure-3U-19-rac k_W0QQitemZ270236228067QQihZ017QQcategoryZ64061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

just ordered one.

please keep us updated on what you do with power supply, really curious which way you go, I am thinkign a combination of doepfer stuff might be easiest (back panel with mounting holes for ps, ps, and power board) but I am sure that would spike the price up way too much...

Carlos

i bought a back panel but then sent it back, it was not necessary...i did use the Doepfer PSU and Buss board, i added an inline fuse holder and a power cord, i just fire it up from a rack power strip for my rack gear...not sure about other power supplies...
Muff Wiggler
thanks for posting the updated link chimologic 8)

I'm also curious to hear what others do - I had not considered the Doepfer back panel, now I just flipped-flopped in the span of about 10 seconds reading these two posts..... yours made me think I should get one, then Ross's made me realize I probably wouldn't need to.

For me, I have a Doepfer bus board coming, thanks to Sandyb who placed a lare order straight from Doepfer and very kindly offered to add a busboard for me to this order. Thanks again Sandy 8)

For power, I'm probably going to wait a bit untill the busboard arrives (I've been bleeding money in every direction lately), then order the A-100 PSU2 from AH, and then get crafty on a way to mount the board and PSU in the case I have. Not worried about wiring up the fuse holder and power cord, although I'll probably bug you guys for a photo when the time comes
Chuck E. Jesus
looks like you could just bolt the PSU to the bottom of the subrack toward the back...
D/A A/D
'Bout time I got around to these parts... I rocked one of these cases as well, it showed up today - so I can't wait to get home. As for the internals I am a building a MFOS Bi-Polar wall wart PSU which is clocking in at just under $90 all said and done. I am hoping he included a 6hp blank so I can mount the adapter jack and a on/off switch to it (maybe a LED to eat up a few mA).

So yeah, I need to track down a Doepfer A-100 Bus Board now... I am stoked for all this to come together, as the one thing holding me back from a larger Euro setup was the cost of cases. After all is said and done I have a (sexy) 84hp sub-rack with PSU for $150cdn.

I am interested to hear how other people plan to mount the bus to the cases, I have some ideas in my head - but my head is broken most of the time.

Alex
D/A A/D
Gawd damn... So yeah, spent over 3 hours ripping shit off of this badboy tonight. Lucky for me out 24 hour Walmart sells torx bits... I also removed all the aluminum cheese graters from the rails, and the threaded inserts for the rails and replaced them with another set that sits further forward, no need for long screws now.

I'll post pics, and I have quite a few more of the thread strips left for the rails if anyone else wants to mod their case.

Alex
Muff Wiggler
awesome...please do post pics (there's an integrated image upload tool here in the forum, but you have to hit the main 'reply' buttons on the threads - it's not available in the 'quick reply panel').

I'm looking forward to seeing what you mean about those rails - the 'long screws' problem has been sorta bugging me.

helluva case for $35, no?
D/A A/D

Its kinda hard to capture, but hopefully you get the idea.

Alex
Paulyvoks
Wowee. Busy Beavers!

I ordered 3 of these. 2 for modules and another to house the Klee sequencer i will more than likey get killed building.

D/A A/D wrote:

I'll post pics, and I have quite a few more of the thread strips left for the rails if anyone else wants to mod their case.

Alex

Those are perfect! Where did you get those?

I need some. eek!
D/A A/D
Paulyvoks wrote:
Those are perfect! Where did you get those?

I need some. eek!

I salvaged an old modular dial up modem rack, each rail has 3 inserts. I had to (not so gently) tap one of them in to the new sub-rack. I think I will have 14 or so left, I have promised a few to a friend already.

I will take inventory of what I have left as far as inserts and 2.5mm screws tonight hopefully. My case is now lighter and more streamlined to what I need, I forgot the mention it was damaged in shipping - thank god for rubber mallets...

I was going to order a second case, but I am holding off for either a frac or serge setup.

alex
Muff Wiggler
Alex - thanks for posting the pics - great work! Makes sense to me, I think I can see what you did here.

I would very much be interested in some of those inserts and screws if you happen to end up with some extras.

great stuff 8)
D/A A/D
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Alex - thanks for posting the pics - great work! Makes sense to me, I think I can see what you did here.

I would very much be interested in some of those inserts and screws if you happen to end up with some extras.

great stuff 8)

Cool. As stated I'll figure out what I have... You should totally take the cheese graters of yours dude...
Muff Wiggler
i need to pick up a torx driver set - but i couldn't agree more - that shit has to go!
D/A A/D
Muff Wiggler wrote:
i need to pick up a torx driver set - but i couldn't agree more - that shit has to go!

Wallmart, $7.69, Fuller made in Canada...

sweet.
Muff Wiggler
i'll see what Crap Tire has first, ugh Walmart angry

hehe but if not, I guess I may have to make my FIRST EVER WALMART purchase

i know i will burn in hell for it, but i really do need that torx set.....
D/A A/D
Muff Wiggler wrote:
i'll see what Crap Tire has first, ugh Walmart angry

hehe but if not, I guess I may have to make my FIRST EVER WALMART purchase

i know i will burn in hell for it, but i really do need that torx set.....

I hate wallmart with a passion as well, but crappy tire's prices SUCK... The same tool was almost 10 loonies more. meh
Muff Wiggler
i'll pay ten bones to not shop at walmart! lol

seriously.
D/A A/D
Muff Wiggler wrote:
i'll pay ten bones to not shop at walmart! lol

seriously.

Then you sir are more righteous than I... we're not worthy
Muff Wiggler
well everything has it's limits... if it was a $25 dollar difference I would suck it up and end up contributing to the fall of western civilization... wink
felix
I feel very proud to have twice refused to even use the bathroom in a walmart. However, back when I lived in Texas (and did not yet know the evils of walmart) I had bought many things there...so it balances out.

This is really funny for anyone who has ever been into a walmart:
Henry Rollins goes to Walmart
http://www.glumbert.com/media/walmart
J.w.M.
When living in Socorro, it was either "buy a pillow at Walmart or drive almost 50 miles to Belen, which has other stores." In that light, I bought stuff at Wal Mart.

Those days are behind me now, so I'm going out on a limb and saying that walmart is also a thing of the past for me.
D/A A/D
Ok, I am evil for shopping at Wallmart... ONCE... Damnit.

Now back to the matter at hand, some sexy fucking euro sub-racks for a steal.

I'll have an inventory of how many threaded inserts and screws I have tonight. After what I have already promised I think I'll have 2 sets. I have a few hundred screws though.
Muff Wiggler
hyper
///OSS
that is sick for 35 bucks.."drools"
Paulyvoks
So I did tracking on my racks Sunday, and low and behold, they were delivered while i was home, on Saturday. w00t

Problem is, I didn't get them? WTF???

So yesterday I went home for lunch in order to stalk the mailman, I gave him a print out with the tracking # then I went back to work.

When I returned home there was a pink slip with "I found your parcel, it's at the post for pickup" written on it. hihi
D/A A/D
Paulyvoks wrote:
So I did tracking on my racks Sunday, and low and behold, they were delivered while i was home, on Saturday. w00t

Problem is, I didn't get them? WTF???

So yesterday I went home for lunch in order to stalk the mailman, I gave him a print out with the tracking # then I went back to work.

When I returned home there was a pink slip with "I found your parcel, it's at the post for pickup" written on it. hihi

Thats a good outcome... I should have some rails and screws for you dude.

In other news, I should have my first batch of new modules and my bus board soon. When she is all powered up with modules mounted I'll snap some sexy photo's... The first modules will be the moddemod, doepfer low pass gate, and quadrature lfo.

Alex
Paulyvoks
D/A A/D wrote:

In other news, I should have my first batch of new modules and my bus board soon. When she is all powered up with modules mounted I'll snap some sexy photo's... The first modules will be the moddemod, doepfer low pass gate, and quadrature lfo.

Alex

Woot! Thanks Alex!

Can't wait to see pics of your racks packed with a batch!

Yeah, next step is power source for mine. confused
D/A A/D
Paulyvoks wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:

Alex

Woot! Thanks Alex!

Can't wait to see pics of your racks packed with a batch!

Yeah, next step is power source for mine. confused

I'll let everyone know how my MFOS Wall Wart PSU works out... I am really glad I went with it as it looks like I may move to the EU after me and the wife split...
Muff Wiggler
D/A A/D wrote:
I'll let everyone know how my MFOS Wall Wart PSU works out...

please do! very curious about this.

D/A A/D wrote:
I may move to the EU after me and the wife split...

ah fuck man, I'm sorry to hear about that. :(
D/A A/D
Muff Wiggler wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:
I'll let everyone know how my MFOS Wall Wart PSU works out...

please do! very curious about this.

D/A A/D wrote:
I may move to the EU after me and the wife split...

ah fuck man, I'm sorry to hear about that. :(

We can talk about it over a beer in August.
Muff Wiggler
Guinness ftw! beer! Drinking

looking forward to it! Maybe over a few beers.

hope things go ok for you though - not an easy thing. Shoot me a PM or whatever if things get really shitty and you need some moral support.

Oh and spend all your cash on modules so she can't take it from you angry

if you need to hide modules in the interim send 'em to me...
Paulyvoks
D/A A/D wrote:

I'll let everyone know how my MFOS Wall Wart PSU works out... I am really glad I went with it as it looks like I may move to the EU after me and the wife split...

Indeed, hope all goes well for you Alex.

Last night i became a member of the sore finger club, but hey....these racks are really really superb quality down underneath it all!!! hyper

Worth it!
D/A A/D
Paulyvoks wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:

Indeed, hope all goes well for you Alex.

Last night i became a member of the sore finger club, but hey....these racks are really really superb quality down underneath it all!!! hyper

Worth it!

Yeah it takes a lot of stripping... But I am going to try and sell the scrap aluminum to buy some modules.

Alex
Cat-A-Tonic
Does this rack come all assembled?
It appears that way, especially because the shipping cost is so high.

Is it easy to disassemble the frame?
That might aid in removing all the junk and it would also make it a candidate for importing via my luggage when I return to Japan.

How about those replacement rails you mentioned (for avoiding super long screws)? Is this a no-brainer? Did you use vector rails?
Paulyvoks
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Does this rack come all assembled?
It appears that way, especially because the shipping cost is so high.

Is it easy to disassemble the frame?
That might aid in removing all the junk and it would also make it a candidate for importing via my luggage when I return to Japan.

How about those replacement rails you mentioned (for avoiding super long screws)? Is this a no-brainer? Did you use vector rails?

The racks come fully assembled.

You will need a "Torx" screwdriver to disassemble them. Pretty easy
The little tracks to be removed require a smaller torx. I didn't have one so I used an eyeglass screwdriver to loosen them. I also used a pair of clippers to chop off most of the plastic. You can also remove the tops and bottoms as it helps get the plastic clips out from underneath the rail.
I had ordered 3 and broke down 2. I'm sure 3 broken down will all fit in a box meant for one.

I'm doing a little research and trying to find some sort of flat nut that can be inserted into the rail slot.

I have an idea!
You can buy me a ticket to Japan, and i will carry the racks for you! hyper
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
I have an idea!
You can buy me a ticket to Japan, and i will carry the racks for you!

If you only want to fly one way you can always become an English teacher. hihi
Muff Wiggler
well dammit. I just pulled the trigger on two more of these racks. I figure at this price, I might as well. I'll be buying a big eurorack power supply anyway, this way I now have more room for eurorack stuff than I will ever need. really hard not to at $35 a rack. wow.

I figure one PSU and a couple of busboards will cover the three racks of space - this is nuts, for under $250 I've got three racks of Euro, ready to go. sick.
Soy Sos
"this way I now have more room for eurorack stuff than I will ever need"

Haha, famous last words!
Muff Wiggler
hihi
Muff Wiggler
i emailed the guy about shipping before I bid, hoping to save a bit since it's domestic. Anyway he is gonna break them down for me and shipping for the pair came to $15, hard to complain about that.

I'm still just reeling over the fact that I got three racks worth of euro frames for $105 + shipping. That's just insanity.
D/A A/D
Muff Wiggler wrote:
i emailed the guy about shipping before I bid, hoping to save a bit since it's domestic. Anyway he is gonna break them down for me and shipping for the pair came to $15, hard to complain about that.

I'm still just reeling over the fact that I got three racks worth of euro frames for $105 + shipping. That's just insanity.

I am on the fence right now... I am stoked that I got a deal, but I have a lot of bloody mounting/soldering/figuring out ahead of me... I hope that I can sell this down the road for a profit when I pony up for a Doepfer Suitcase, and buy a AS sampler module - so the D/A A/D live set can become 100% modular...
consumed
ok, since you guys have gone in on the schroff cases, i have a question.
your cases are fully collapsible? the rails can be isolated?
do you get threaded inserts on those rails?
i understand longer screws are needed for these...perhaps because the threaded area is set back deeper than on doepfer frames.
ehdyn
If by collapsible you mean able to be disassembled-Yes, wouldn't be too bad. You just need a torx and some bloody knuckles.
There's a guy over on electro-music who was able to isolate the rails. I believe the inserts are threaded. Keep in mind that there's no rear panel for power mounting.

I'll be keeping the unit largely intact.
D/A A/D
consumed wrote:
ok, since you guys have gone in on the schroff cases, i have a question.

Actualy you have a few... razz

Quote:
your cases are fully collapsible?

Yes, with a few torx bits and some elbow grease.

Quote:
the rails can be isolated?

No, they are not. Well at least they are aluminum.

Quote:
do you get threaded inserts on those rails?

Yes, but they are a bit different than standard Doepfer inserts.

Quote:
i understand longer screws are needed for these...perhaps because the threaded area is set back deeper than on doepfer frames.

Exactly, they have a false front rail, with the inserts set back further than on the standard Doepfer racks (as stated above). I solved this by replacing the ones that came with the case with ones I already had from another non-euro rack. I took out the false and threaded rails and out "new" threaded ones in the place of the false ones.

I may have also solved the bus board problem, I ordered a replacement bus board rail from Doepfer (well actually Technopolis)... Now i just have my fingers crossed that it will fit in my case, and that the blank rear panel's mounting holes match up with my MFOS PSU board... Anyone have one so they can get me the dimensions???

Alex
Cat-A-Tonic
I couldn't help myself.
I jumped on the bandwagon and bought 3 of these Schroff racks.
He disassembled them for reduced shipping just like Muff said.
I wonder what his knuckles look like....
D/A A/D
When I was talking with shawn @ AH today he was stoked about this guys auctions, apparently AH have been overwhelmed with bus board and DIY kit sales

Also... Keep it comming with regards to how the hell you mounted the bus board and other hardware in the case.
Paulyvoks
D/A A/D wrote:
When I was talking with shawn @ AH today he was stoked about this guys auctions, apparently AH have been overwhelmed with bus board and DIY kit sales

Also... Keep it comming with regards to how the hell you mounted the bus board and other hardware in the case.

Hah hah, one of them be me. I got a PSU #1.
This should be intersting.
D/A A/D
Paulyvoks wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:

Hah hah, one of them be me. I got a PSU #1.
This should be intersting.

I do have rails for you man, as well as Muff and Carlos... I just need to get my shit together.
criticalmonkey
so i've got a doepfer rack with plenty of unused power i think (got to do some math to confirm) but the rack is about full

my thought is could i buy one of these schroff racks and connect to the power in my existing rack?

i never really looked into the doepfer rack for that sort of mod - this schroff one looks fairly modifiable given the vented top
and i'm wondering how best to modify the length of the connector cables

thoughts? -
criticalmonkey
by my understanding the 6u doepfer case has 1200 ma with the psu2
and adding up my almost full case i get about 600 ma consumed - very conservative for extra safety

so I have 600 ma available and the schroff case has half the space

this seems plausible -
even more so if i can just add a third a100 bus to the psu2 in my current case

i'm not to confident with my electrical understanding so any thoughts greatly appreciated - don't mind doing the wiring it's the math that i screw up
consumed
i did notice that the specs on the psu2 seem pretty high. after you mentioned using its power externally, that made me think of some kind of power connector that could be created in a blank panel, to be routed externally. ill have to think about it a bit.
Paulyvoks
D/A A/D wrote:

I do have rails for you man, as well as Muff and Carlos... I just need to get my shit together.

No problem, I'm in no rush and need to shovel out some major piles of "To do-do" before I can get on this.

Thanks for slating me! we're not worthy
Muff Wiggler
me too, thanks D/A A/D, you rock SlayerBadger!
consumed
restate this post, since it was crappily written...

did threaded inserts come with your racks? do they allow you to attach your modules to the rack? why are you needing threaded inserts from DAAD? are they different somehow?
D/A A/D
consumed wrote:
restate this post, since it was crappily written...

did threaded inserts come with your racks? do they allow you to attach your modules to the rack? why are you needing threaded inserts from DAAD? are they different somehow?

These racks come stock with very deep inserts (with false insert fronts), so you need long m2 screws to mount your modules. I had an old modular modem rack that had euro standard threaded inserts, I took out the false and threaded inserts and replaced them with my other inserts. Bringing the thread closer to the front of the rail, like standard euro racks - except with m2 screws, not m3...

I hope that made sense... These cases are perfectly fine the way they are, but with the inserts I used it makes it a bit easier.
consumed
ok DAAD, so the inserts you have allow the doepfer screws.
the inserts that come with the rack require a longer, possibly thinner screw.
thanks!
D/A A/D
consumed wrote:
ok DAAD, so the inserts you have allow the doepfer screws.
the inserts that come with the rack require a longer, possibly thinner screw.
thanks!

Almost... My inserts allow you to use screws of a normal length, but smaller diameter. I have 300 of said screws, so it made sense.
D/A A/D
bus board and psu shots up!

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9592#9592
Paulyvoks
Today i got my PSU kit #1 via AH.
Seems the set is seriously improved.

It comes with the really nice inserted nut-slide type rails.

I do intend to use the Schroff racks, but with these extra rails it allows me to plan another case, like an EMS style cabinet, so I'm pretty glad i got it.

hyper

I wonder if these rails might be able to replace the ones on the Schroff?

I'll check it out.
consumed
Muff Wiggler wrote:
a few pics...

for future reference, you dont have to bust those pieces up like that.
remove the snap-on horizontal grills and you'll find two little clips you squeeze together with your fingers and those red pieces just pop out.

EDIT: just "popping" the grille off requires some unscrewing on the sides of the rack.
Muff Wiggler
consumed wrote:
EDIT: just "popping" the grille off requires some unscrewing on the sides of the rack.

that was the problem - I didn't (and still don't) have the right hex driver! I had to bust 'em up oldschool....

i do have the right driver on the way to me now though smile Which is handy as I have two more of these racks now...
consumed
for the larger torx screws, i just found a hex wrench that was close in size.

i discovered something cool about the racks...you can connect them together via those panels at the back of the rack.

criticalmonkey
so has anybody powered up and proven these out yet with critical modules?

I'm assuming their fine given the power supply you guys seem to be using is doepfer -
but just curious of any oddities -
Muff Wiggler
consumed wrote:
i discovered something cool about the racks...you can connect them together via those panels at the back of the rack

oh damn, that IS cool, and I probably wouldn't have even thought to look for it. sweet, thanks a bunch for posting that.
consumed
this might be valuable information to someone: METRIC 2.5 45 10
that is the size of screw you will need to mount modules in the threaded rails that come with those ebay schroff racks from chiachiman in CAnada.

so here she is, purring away happily. all racks are connected as one.

D/A A/D
consumed wrote:
that is the size of screw you will need to mount modules in the threaded rails that come with those ebay schroff racks from chiachiman in CAnada.

so here she is, purring away happily. all racks are connected as one.

Stunning dude!!! Nice blue caps!!!

Alex

p.s. MORE PICS!
p.p.s. The rails you used to mount the bus boards, are they from the DIY kit???
p.p.p.s. How sturdy is your PSU attacked to the bottom grate?...
consumed
D/A A/D wrote:

p.s. MORE PICS!
p.p.s. The rails you used to mount the bus boards, are they from the DIY kit???
p.p.p.s. How sturdy is your PSU attacked to the bottom grate?...

gotta recharge my batteries =P
the rails are from the rack itself. i used the lower rear rail, moved it forward, and rotated it 90 degrees.
the psu board is attached by two screws to the bottom grate and plenty sturdy.
the transformer (wall wart) is zip tied to one of the side panels of the lower rack.
ill take a rear pic when my batteries are good.
Muff Wiggler
holy crap, thanks so much for taking those pics. I have three of the racks as well, and I haven't put anything together yet (other than busting up those inner rails on my first rack) as I'm waiting for my busboards, PSU and replacement mounting rails - all of which are in the mail to me right now. Once I get all that, I'll be putting together the exact same 3-rig chassis. Minus all those nice modules of course.
consumed
thanks for the feedback! heres some more pics.

D/A A/D
SEXY! Coffee Addiction FTW
Muff Wiggler
that little lip rail that sticks out in the front (I see how you paired two of them together, good idea) - can that piece of the structure be rotated so that one does not have this overhanging lip?
Muff Wiggler
these pics are going to help me so much once i sit down to put everything together. between those pics and D/A A/D's advice (and his rails), it should go pretty smoothly, thanks again guys 8)

nice solution with the zip-tied wallwart. I like it.

---

my plan as you guys know was to put together a euro-rack chassis on the super cheap, grabbing bits when I found really good deals etc. This small concession as I had originally made that infamous decision to not worry about Euro - and it's really getting beta modules from TipTop that pushed me over the edge.

Anyway, all said and done, all my parts are paid for and either here or on the way. Three Schroff racks (with replacement rails for 'standards' screws), 3 Doepfer busboards, and a 3amp Condor PSU.

And, I'm blown away with how cheap I pulled this off - I ended up getting all this for about $160 CDN, plus the trade of two things I haven't been using in a long time (a guitar pedal and an M-Audio Trigger Finger). So that part feels free. I feel like I got a 3-rack powered euro chassis for $160. The mind boggles.
consumed
Muff Wiggler wrote:
that little lip rail that sticks out in the front (I see how you paired two of them together, good idea) - can that piece of the structure be rotated so that one does not have this overhanging lip?

i thought about using the rear rails at the front so i wouldnt have the lip.
the problem is that the rear rails are completely flat so the rack ears would jut forward from the lip.
i decided to have the lip instead.

re: wallwart: i cut the tip off and crimped on my own flat slide on connectors. soldering would be just as effective but you'd want some shrinkwrap over it.

for a little more than the cost of a used suitcase, i put together four schroff racks, one diy #1 kit and two extra busboards. seventy screws cost me $15 from the hardware store downtown.
consumed
Muff Wiggler wrote:
nice solution with the zip-tied wallwart. I like it.

it works for now. id like to get a rear panel with power switch but AH is out of stock.
Paulyvoks
Finished mine today.

After a little trimming here and there, the rails Doepfer supplied with the kit fit snazzy.

Powers up and all systems go!
D/A A/D
^what's in the mini case???^
consumed
Paulyvoks wrote:
Finished mine today.
After a little trimming here and there, the rails Doepfer supplied with the kit fit snazzy.

did you use the diy kit 1 rails inside the schroff rack for mounting the busboards?
Paulyvoks
Quote:
^what's in the mini case???^

It's a Zorlon cannon and a Tip top z5000.
I'll probably convert it back to my theramin unit after I install the power connections properly in the new rack.

consumed wrote:
Paulyvoks wrote:
Finished mine today.

did you use the diy kit 1 rails inside the schroff rack for mounting the busboards?

No, I used the Schroff rails. The rails that come with the new DIY kit are like the "sliding nut" style used in the beauty case and suitcase versions.
You need to do some trimming on various parts of the schroff rack to make them fit better.

I found if you chop one of the inner "nut rails" of the Schroff rails in half trimming off about a half inch of one of them and budging it over a bit, you can line it up with the holes in the bus board perfectly and install them with 2mm screws. Between 16 being too long nd 12 being to short, I used 16 length and put a nut under the head to shorten it up.

I'll post better pics when I can.
consumed
ah, ok cool. when you said "rails" i thought you meant the mounting rails, but maybe you were referring to the power boards ("rails")?

i never even pulled the doepfer rails out of the bubblewrap since i assumed they were the kind in the manual. that explains why i got a ton of little nuts in a bag with the kit. lol i just used a bunch of those nuts as washers for mounting my busboards to the schroff rails (but i screwed them into the little metal slots just like those guide rails were mounted--the ones you have to rip out to use the case).
chimologic
question for thsoe taht got the doepfer dyi kit #1, how did you go about connectecting the ac adaptor to the psu? mine came with a jameco ac adaptor that ends on a regular ac adaptor plug, so my guess would be stripping and soldering but I see on some of this pictures you did not have to do that..
consumed
chimologic wrote:
question for thsoe taht got the doepfer dyi kit #1, how did you go about connectecting the ac adaptor to the psu? mine came with a jameco ac adaptor that ends on a regular ac adaptor plug, so my guess would be stripping and soldering but I see on some of this pictures you did not have to do that..

thats correct. i did already have a hand crimper and some of the connectors to crimp onto the wires though, so i went that route instead, for the slide-on action.
chimologic
ok cable coming out of the ac adaptor with the dotted line is the negative correct?
chimologic
also did you attach the 'ground' to the rack, or just left it by itself?
chimologic
I guess the better question is, does it make a difference to which of the 15 volt inputs for the psu do I solder each cable from the ac adpater?
consumed
chimologic wrote:
I guess the better question is, does it make a difference to which of the 15 volt inputs for the psu do I solder each cable from the ac adpater?

i do not believe it matters. the polarization is not marked on the power board.

YES i did connect the ground to the chassis--i understand this is very important especially for particular modules, like the m15.
chimologic
consumed wrote:
chimologic wrote:

YES i did connect the ground to the chassis--i understand this is very important especially for particular modules, like the m15.

any tips on the ground connection?

last thing i gotta do!
chimologic
ITS ALIVE!
Muff Wiggler
chimologic wrote:
ITS ALIVE!

sweet Mr. Green
D/A A/D
Muff Wiggler wrote:
chimologic wrote:
ITS ALIVE!

sweet Mr. Green

+10,000

I hope my advice helped!
consumed
chimologic wrote:
consumed wrote:
chimologic wrote:

any tips on the ground connection?

last thing i gotta do!

screw it down to anything conductive on the chassis.
i crimped a little o-ring onto mine and screwed it into one of the schroff rails.
sgnhh
Curious question about combining a Schroff rack with a 6U Doepfer rack:

I plan to run the modules in the Schroff rack off of the Doepfer PSU. Would I need to ground the Schroff rack to the Doepfer PSU? The reason I ask is because I was thinking of just getting the Plan B Protected Power bus and using that to power the modules in the Schroff rack. That bus board doesn't have a ground connection on it, it just connects from another Doepfer bus board.
criticalmonkey
doepfer to schrof power:

i had this thought too - but how are you thinking of getting from one case to the other - cable thru the front? cut a whole in the doepfer? - best i can tell there isn't an easy way out of the doepfer case - but i haven't gone to deep into the build of the case

btw - i think the ground off the doepfer bus board would be sufficient other wise the plan b would require one
sgnhh
I'll probably just put a hole in the top of the Doepfer rack and then put a hole in the bottom of the Schroff rack.
D/A A/D
sgnhh wrote:
I'll probably just put a hole in the top of the Doepfer rack and then put a hole in the bottom of the Schroff rack.

Or you could transmit the power wireless ala Tesla... lol
felix
D/A A/D wrote:
sgnhh wrote:

Or you could transmit the power wireless ala Tesla... lol

Hells yeah! Bounce that shit off the back of the opposite side of the globe and back up to the Schroff! Just don't let the power company shut you down!
sgnhh
Did you get your Monster?
felix
sgnhh wrote:
Did you get your Monster?

In progress...I'm waiting to hear back from Shawn. hyper
22tape
so how many modules can you fit into this bad boy? is it 86HP?

if anyone is looking to unload a doepfer mini case, i'm in the market!
Muff Wiggler
ok so i've got my racks and my busboards and my PSU and..... fuck I'm pretty stumped with the PSU :(

I started a thread over here with my questions

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1188

if anyone can offer any advice I would *really* appreciate it

thanks
Muff Wiggler
22tape wrote:
so how many modules can you fit into this bad boy? is it 86HP?!

sorry, i have no idea oops

coming from frac, i still find a lot of stuff about euro really strange - for example i still have no idea what a 'HP' is help
Muff Wiggler
consumed wrote:

hey i flipped the ears around to the back and I don't have the protruding lip-rail issue anymore 8)
flts
I think normal 3U Schroff racks should fit 84 or 86HP. Here's a good explanation:

http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100m_e.htm

"width is measured in HP (HP = horizontal pitch, 1 HP = 5.08 mm or 1/5 inch or 1/5")"

So basically all modules have a width that is a some multiple of 1/5".
felix
flts wrote:
"width is measured in HP (HP = horizontal pitch, 1 HP = 5.08 mm or 1/5 inch or 1/5")"

And all this time I thought that stood for health points... d'oh!
consumed
and all this time i thought it was Hit Points.

Muff Wiggler wrote:

hey i flipped the ears around to the back and I don't have the protruding lip-rail issue anymore 8)

do you have a recessed lip-rail issue though? i didnt think the lip would run flush wtih the rack ears/front panels if you flipped them. maybe i didnt pay attention.
Muff Wiggler
consumed wrote:
and all this time i thought it was Hit Points.

Muff Wiggler wrote:

do you have a recessed lip-rail issue though? i didnt think the lip would run flush wtih the rack ears/front panels if you flipped them. maybe i didnt pay attention.

looks fine to me - everything's nice and flush

btw, your method for mounting the busboard is BRILLIANT. works perfectly, total stroke of genius. Thanks for posting those pics.
tragedybysyntax
well shit the bed........ i'm almost tempted to scrap my euro box in the works and buy one of those schroff's..... So fucking nice looking and clean! i'm still trying to get my fucking vector t rails to mount to 90 degree's into my case. :(

Almost rather buy a few of these and stick them in an SKB............. any idea what shipping is into the US with the disassembly?
Muff Wiggler
i'm actually in the market for a 4th Schroff if anyone has one they don't think they will use....otherwise I'll order one more from the guy at the end of next week.

these things have worked out PERFECTLY and the price is right....and i figure my PSU is strong enough for 4 racks, so I might as well do it up while they are so cheap.
consumed
youre pretty much looking at the quoted price for shipping. disassembly just for US would cost more than just shipping assembled.
Muff Wiggler
within canada i paid $25 to ship one fully assembled, and $15 to ship two disassembled. This was before he was charging $10 to disassemble them.
sgnhh
It cost me over $40 to get it into the US.
D/A A/D
for once its better to be a canadian... hihi
tragedybysyntax
EH?

lol...sorry, couldn't resist
consumed
he charges $10 per frame to disassemble, which makes the overall cost higher for shipping to the US disassembled, but lower if shipping off the continent.

it cost me around $55 to have four shipped assembled.
felix
tragedybysyntax wrote:
i'm still trying to get my fucking vector t rails to mount to 90 degree's into my case. :(

I know that song and dance well...I was so pissed at that point, dealing with getting the rails squared off made me want to choke the next person I saw to death. angry
22tape
hey guys. anyone have any problems using the a-100 diy kit #2 with the schoff?

thanks!
22tape
shit. please don't tell me that this guy is sold out. he had 37 of them on the 8th!

does he sometimes have breaks between the auctions? thanks!
flts
22tape wrote:

I'd recommend using kit #1. The cheaper one will surely work with the racks, but it has dual switch-mode power supplies (instead of the decent quality linear PSU in kit 1) which don't give that stable voltages. That fact may cause problems with many modules. I know some people have had bad experiences with it and I would stay clear.

From the Doepfer DIY pages on kit #2:

"extremely low cost beginners package for usage in combination with two external 12V wall-outlet power supplies (not recommended for high quality applications)"

"This is an extremely inexpensive version of the power supply. The quality cannot be compared to those of the normal A-100 power supply (A-100PSU2). Stability of the voltages is significantly worse compared to the regular A-100 power supply (A-100PUS2). Especially if VCOs are are used tuning problems may occur. But the bus board and the mounting rails (these are the most expensive part of the kit) can be used later even in combination with a high quality supply (e.g. A-100PSU2 or A-100 DIY Kit 1). In case of doubt we recommend the A-100 DIY Kit 1 as the voltage stability of this kit is much better."
Muff Wiggler
22tape wrote:
shit. please don't tell me that this guy is sold out. he had 37 of them on the 8th!

does he sometimes have breaks between the auctions? thanks!

he's still got 20 of them....price has gone up though.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Schroff-EuroPAC-Chassis-Subrack-Enclosure-3U-19-rac k_W0QQitemZ270255845266QQihZ017QQcategoryZ64061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

If that link eventually started leading to a closed auction, simply click the "see other items from this seller" link and you'll be able to see if he has anymore. This has happened a few times.
Muff Wiggler
20 left, and the price has gone up. He's now asking $45.

I'm realizing a few things here:

- My PSU is strong enough for 4 racks.
- 4 racks fit nicely into things like SKB Popup cases
- Cheap euro real estate will not be around forever.

I just snapped up my fourth and last one. He's got 19 left now.

I also just posted to my blog about his ebay sale - I suspect there may be a small run coming on the remaining racks.
consumed
that chiachiman is lucky there is a little niche market for those cases, or they probably would have collected a whole lot of dust in a corner somewhere. im a bit surprised he raised the price, but he's still accepting offers anyway.
D/A A/D
consumed wrote:
that chiachiman is lucky there is a little niche market for those cases, or they probably would have collected a whole lot of dust in a corner somewhere. im a bit surprised he raised the price, but he's still accepting offers anyway.

When he caught on why people where using them, the capitalist took hold...
flts
What I'm surprised is that nobody got the idea of "hey, let's buy the whole huge batch of them for cheap, get a big bunch of linear PSUs, make some bus boards and sell some ready-made eurorack cases" lol

They've seemed to go direct to people who're DIYing their own euro cases as far as I can see.
D/A A/D
flts wrote:
What I'm surprised is that nobody got the idea of "hey, let's buy the whole huge batch of them for cheap, get a big bunch of linear PSUs, make some bus boards and sell some ready-made eurorack cases" lol

They've seemed to go direct to people who're DIYing their own euro cases as far as I can see.

I had that exact idea... very frustrating
flts
D/A A/D wrote:
I had that exact idea... very frustrating

Yeah, same here... Only it wasn't really a viable idea since I'm a cheap-ass, I have a tiny apartment, and I live in Finland (logistics problems) Mr. Green
22tape
flts wrote:
22tape wrote:

I'd recommend using kit #1. The cheaper one will surely work with the racks, but it has dual switch-mode power supplies (instead of the decent quality linear PSU in kit 1) which don't give that stable voltages. That fact may cause problems with many modules. I know some people have had bad experiences with it and I would stay clear.

From the Doepfer DIY pages on kit #2:

"extremely low cost beginners package for usage in combination with two external 12V wall-outlet power supplies (not recommended for high quality applications)"

"This is an extremely inexpensive version of the power supply. The quality cannot be compared to those of the normal A-100 power supply (A-100PSU2). Stability of the voltages is significantly worse compared to the regular A-100 power supply (A-100PUS2). Especially if VCOs are are used tuning problems may occur. But the bus board and the mounting rails (these are the most expensive part of the kit) can be used later even in combination with a high quality supply (e.g. A-100PSU2 or A-100 DIY Kit 1). In case of doubt we recommend the A-100 DIY Kit 1 as the voltage stability of this kit is much better."

great, thanks for the heads up. i definitely don't want voltage stability problems. i only have the money to fill one of the schoff enclosures...and the kit#1 has two bus boards, right? does it matter if i'm using the power supply in kit#1 to push only one board? basic question i know, but i'm unsure if using a power supply which is equipped to push two boards would fry a single board....

thanks!
sandyb
22tape wrote:

great, thanks for the heads up. i definitely don't want voltage stability problems. i only have the money to fill one of the schoff enclosures...and the kit#1 has two bus boards, right? does it matter if i'm using the power supply in kit#1 to push only one board? basic question i know, but i'm unsure if using a power supply which is equipped to push two boards would fry a single board....
thanks!

nothing to worry about - you can power 1,2,3 or 4 busboards from the kit1 psu. the limiting factor is the current draw of your modules (kit1 psu supplies 1200ma) rather than anything else. this won't be an issue with modules filling one schroff rack - i'm running the equivalent of 4.

sandy
22tape
great news, thanks much sandy!

sandyb wrote:
22tape wrote:

thanks!

nothing to worry about - you can power 1,2,3 or 4 busboards from the kit1 psu. the limiting factor is the current draw of your modules (kit1 psu supplies 1200ma) rather than anything else. this won't be an issue with modules filling one schroff rack - i'm running the equivalent of 4.

sandy
eyehue
anyone here on sdiy list?

there was some discussion about diy power supplies, looks easy enough using Ken Stone's PCB or Ray Wilson's.

any Euro users have a totally DIY PS?
Muff Wiggler
i believe that D/A A/D made one, but then sold it. i think it was a MFOS pcb ( ? )
flts
Although mains electricity is dangerous, and a bit like Wu-Tang Clan (nothing to fuck with), power supplies are actually one of the conceptually easiest things to DIY.

1) A suitably sized transformer that drops the AC voltage to the right level (this is the "scary part" and can be bypassed by using an AC-AC wall wart / line lump if needed)
2) A diode bridge that rectifies AC
3) Big caps for filtering the resulting peaky DC
4) Voltage regulators that are specced for voltages and max current you need

I have one of these lying around: http://www.geocities.com/m_natsume/psu.html ... I think those adjustable regs are able to stand about 1.5 amps per rail max. I was actually planning to get a nice ring-core trafo, finish that one and use it as euro PSU, but laziness got the better of me so I just decided to get the DIY kit and save that regulator for later use. Those MFOS regulators / PSUs look alright too... There's not much rocket science you need, just a basic design, correct components and big enough caps to get as clean power as you need.
eyehue
i fuck with electricity all the time. none of it is scary to me.

i was just curious how much DIY was being done in Euro land, i might jump to it one day when i am full of money, just to check out livewire and harvestman. fuck $400 cases and PSs.
Muff Wiggler
eyehue wrote:
fuck $400 cases and PSs.

i'm with you there, it's just too much eek!
flts
eyehue wrote:
i fuck with electricity all the time. none of it is scary to me. i was just curious how much DIY was being done in Euro land, i might jump to it one day when i am full of money, just to check out livewire and harvestman. fuck $400 cases and PSs.

Yeah well... To answer your question, I'm not running a totally DIY PS (the Doepfer DIY kit one was cheap enough in the end) but I don't see it being any problem. Proper transformers and +-12V capable regulator boards are aplenty, and the power distro boards are basically just long pieces of stripboard with row headers / connectors slapped in.

When I put together my DIY case around jan/feb, I got the Doepfer DIY kit #1 because I was kinda unsure how much hassle it would be to DIY the power side from ground up. But when I saw how simple the system is, I realized that it wouldn't be any problem, even for a n00b like me. Oh well, at least I know that now in case I start working on another case at some point...
eyehue
word up! save the money for the modules!
flts
The thing is though that it's the Doepfer _cases_ that are damn expensive... The DIY kit or the ready-made PSU2 aren't that much more expensive than Blacet's offerings for example, but the Euro racks cost a heap. So the biggest savings are actually achieved if you just score some mounting rails and make your own case (or get one of those cheap Schroff ones while they're available and spend some time ripping stuff off).

I still have one set of rails and supports stored. Kind of thinking about slapping those to a kind of shallow aluminium suitcase I have lying around and mounting some low-profile modules there. Maybe with a DIY psu and boards this time. We'll see, I still have plenty of space in the current case as it is...
spbaker
over in the VICMOD section on modularsynth there is a discussion on DIY power supplies along with some links, http://modularsynth.net/viewtopic.php?t=1505

i'm using a switched power supply that switches at 50khz (way outside our hearing) and it works perfect, my whole power set up for my suitcase cost me about $60AUD inc distro boards, but the next one will be the jaycar one mentioned on the above thread
D/A A/D
Yeah it was a MFOS.. Brilliant PS... To bad I needed portability.
Chuck E. Jesus
i put together a rack with a Doepfer PS2, a buss board, Vector rails, and some rack ears....i already had a Dopefer case (purchased as a system years ago) and a wheeled rack case, so i stayed with the 19" rack format...i just used some 1 x 4 boards to hold things together and mount the PS2 and buss board...i forget the total price, but it was less than half what Doepfer wants (i made a mistake buying expensive rack ears that were too big, i'd look around more)...

if i was going to start a new system i'd definitely build a case and just use the Vector rails ...i've had good luck with the Doepfer PS2 and Buss boards, so i'd most likely stick with them to make it easy, and just mount them in the case...
Muff Wiggler
looks like the chichiaman phenomenon is over.

that was awesome we're not worthy
22tape
[quote="consumed"]this might be valuable information to someone: METRIC 2.5 45 10
quote]

hey hans, where did you order those screws from?
consumed
[quote="22tape"]
consumed wrote:
quote]

hey hans, where did you order those screws from?

i actually went down to my local ACE hardware and picked them up for $.05 each.
22tape
fantastic!
22tape
[quote="consumed"]
the rails are from the rack itself. i used the lower rear rail, moved it forward, and rotated it 90 degrees.
quote]

how did you unmount the schroff rails so you could move them?

thanks!
consumed
[quote="22tape"]
consumed wrote:

quote]

how did you unmount the schroff rails so you could move them?

thanks!

the screws are torx, so you need a torx driver. but you can substitute with a hex wrench or a flathead screwdriver if they are just the right size. you can also damage them.
22tape

hey guys. it's all coming together!

so. that ring needs to be grounded to the case, right? whats the best way to do that? just screw it down?

the other two prongs coming from the mains clip onto the two flat metal posts on the ps?

anything else i should check/be aware of before i start connecting my modules?

woohooo!
consumed
22tape wrote:

so. that ring needs to be grounded to the case, right? whats the best way to do that? just screw it down?

yep! anywhere on the chassis should be ok.
Quote:
the other two prongs coming from the mains clip onto the two flat metal posts on the ps?

yep!
Quote:
anything else i should check/be aware of before i start connecting my modules?

dont plug your modules in upside down =)
and make sure that PSU board (in pic) is screwed down to something so it doesnt short out on the case. i ziptied my transformer into place so it wouldnt slide around. thats all i can think of.
22tape
fantastic!

okay, stupid question. how do i know if i'm plugging it upside down? i'm looking at the ribbon cable of some of my modules....it only has holes on one side.

hans, thanks so much for your help man. much appreciated!
consumed
22tape wrote:
fantastic!

okay, stupid question. how do i know if i'm plugging it upside down? i'm looking at the ribbon cable of some of my modules....it only has holes on one side.

hans, thanks so much for your help man. much appreciated!

sure thing. with doepfer*, the RED stripe on the power ribbon corresponds to -12V, which aligns to the BOTTOM of the bus board (closest to the bus board mounting screws). typically, you will see a -12V indicator on the module's pcb at the power connector. this is the side the red stripe should be aligned.

*this is true for most euro modules, except cwejman and some early plan B.
Roycie Roller
With the two 'prongs' that attaches the cord to the psu- is one negative & one positive?
consumed
Roycie Roller wrote:
With the two 'prongs' that attaches the cord to the psu- is one negative & one positive?

i dont think it matters.
flts
It's AC directly from the mains transformer so nopes, doesn't matter.
DGTom
Awesome thread guys!!!

These pics + all the great info are gonna come in plenty handy I rekon

we're not worthy

I hope to join the euro club very soon, so when my VCS-3 is fully restored it will have someone to play with hyper
flts
DGTom wrote:
I hope to join the euro club very soon, so when my VCS-3 is fully restored it will have someone to play with hyper

hyper

I have access to a studio that has a Putney, it's a really awesome little thing even it's in not too good shape.
DGTom
I love her!!!

Was rescued from an old hippies back shed, so its never been tip-top, but, it 'died' last friday... I'd been meaning to get it looked at d'oh!

Hopefully by this time next week I will have a full diagnostic.

I think not having the EMS made me realize that I need more modular-ness in my life! Plus I found some mods which would make intergrating it into a larger set-up possible, and thru my online research I stumbled on this forum, from which I'm learning alot! (but I can hear my bank card in my wallet getting the nervous sweats)

w00t
Cat-A-Tonic
Heads up.
Elby is stocking Euro subracks now.
In the absence of that great schroff deal Elby may be the ticket for lower cost Euro setups.
It probably depends somewhat on where you're shipping to though.
...still have to DIY a power supply and busboards though.
dougcl
chiachiman is back in action! I just bought two more. Hmmm, I how have 30U. Is that enough? lol
wetterberg
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Heads up.
I checked the elby site, couldn't find them - links, pls?
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Heads up.
I checked the elby site, couldn't find them - links, pls?

3U 19" Subrack A$71.00
160mm deep (220mm and 280mm available on request). Complete with tapped strips.

6U 19" Subrack A$118.00
16mm deep (220mm and 280mm available on request). Complete with tapped strips and rails for 2 rows of 3U modules

http://www.elby-designs.com/panther/subrack/subracks.htm

http://www.elby-designs.com/shopping/enter.html?lmd=39677.348218
Cat-A-Tonic
It looks like chiachiman only has 6 racks left and he has raised his prices by $15 per rack.
If you buy from him make sure you ask for combined shipping and make sure you remind him a couple of times to send the goods.
He totally forgot about my order angry , and when I started getting nervous about their lateness I emailed to inquire.
He admitted that he had forgot to ship my order and it finally got there just in time.
I had to catch a plane out of the counrty the next day and wanted to take the racks with me.
He also said he would disassemble the racks and reduce the shipping cost.
The racks came assembled, but the shipping cost was appropriately reduced.
Damn good deal though. Mr. Green
DGTom
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

3U 19" Subrack A$71.00
160mm deep (220mm and 280mm available on request). Complete with tapped strips.

6U 19" Subrack A$118.00
16mm deep (220mm and 280mm available on request). Complete with tapped strips and rails for 2 rows of 3U modules

http://www.elby-designs.com/panther/subrack/subracks.htm

http://www.elby-designs.com/shopping/enter.html?lmd=39677.348218

Thanks for the info 8)

I couldn't find a price on the site tho, still waiting on a reply to my email.

Being in Australia, the Schroffs deal isn't as great once you add shipping ( still better than a 'retail case' ) - surface is half the price, but I think that would drive me mad waiting!!!!

The elby subracks look really, really nice (as do the Panther modules) hyper

edit: ... found the 'next' link at the bottom of the page on the elby shop page d'oh!
consumed
if you can DIY, these power amps are perfect for a 2-4 rack system:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7602668477

of course you can get the ("International Power" version) amp brand new from mouser for $50.
the "Power-One" branded amps cost about $68 new from mouser.
chinard
Okay, thought i should chime in at this point since i finally got my chassis up and running using the SubRacks from chiachiman and the doepfer DIY kit #1.

The mounting instructions for the rails earlier in the thread worked great.
I did end up bolting them together a little bit differently, I'll post some pics when i get home from work.

The biggest problem i had was with the doepfer DIY kit#1 because it did not ship with a wall-wart transformer. The Specs on that transformer are really weird too (15v AC at 2.5a)
I DID however find an interesting and cheap source for these 15v AC wall warts. MODEL TRAINS!!!
Digitrax PS-315
There are plenty of model train vendors that carry this item, and it costs about $25-30 USD on average. Mine just arrived yesterday, and it works perfectly with the Doepfer DIY#1 kit.
consumed
chinard wrote:
Okay, thought i should chime in at this point since i finally got my chassis up and running using the SubRacks from chiachiman and the doepfer DIY kit #1.

The mounting instructions for the rails earlier in the thread worked great.
I did end up bolting them together a little bit differently, I'll post some pics when i get home from work.

The biggest problem i had was with the doepfer DIY kit#1 because it did not ship with a wall-wart transformer. The Specs on that transformer are really weird too (15v AC at 2.5a)
I DID however find an interesting and cheap source for these 15v AC wall warts. MODEL TRAINS!!!
Digitrax PS-315
There are plenty of model train vendors that carry this item, and it costs about $25-30 USD on average. Mine just arrived yesterday, and it works perfectly with the Doepfer DIY#1 kit.

wow, nice find!
your DIY kit should have come with a transformer btw.
although AH is still shipping the 1100mA jameco supply as far as i can tell.
chinard
consumed wrote:

Yeah i ordered mine through Technopolis in montreal (canadian doepfer distributor) and they only offered transformers for the DIY kit#2 because both kits actually ship from germany without the transformers cause theirs are all theirs are built for europe spec (220v)
The diy kit#2 uses a pair of standard 12v-DC wall-warts which are easy to source, but they did not have a source for those 15v-AC transformers like the one i posted.

It is convienient that AH is supplying the power supplies for this but im not sure if 1100mA would be enough to power the DIY 1 power supply. (Manual says 2.5a)
sandyb
chinard wrote:
consumed wrote:

It is convienient that AH is supplying the power supplies for this but im not sure if 1100mA would be enough to power the DIY 1 power supply. (Manual says 2.5a)

an 1100mA will work fine with the DIY supply but the problem is that it doesn't provide as much current for modules as the spec doepfer recommend. 1100mA only gives you approx 550mA current for modules (compared to approx 1200mA of the doepfer spec transformer)
dougcl
I had problems with the DIY #1 until I went to a 2.5A 15VAC wall wart. These were available through allelectronics, but I think I got the last two smile
22tape
dougcl wrote:
I had problems with the DIY #1 until I went to a 2.5A 15VAC wall wart. These were available through allelectronics, but I think I got the last two smile

i just checked allelectronics...i can't seem to find anymore angry hihi

where else would be a good place to pick up a 2.5a 15VAC wall wart?

so you still use the kit 1 psu but power it from a 2.5a 15VAC mains? do you get the 1200ma from it?

thanks!
miminashi
Sup, y'all? I am so glad I found this board before I dropped ~$500 on a Doepfer or Analogue Systems case. I just ordered a couple of those much vaunted EuroPAC subracks from chiachiman and I'm planning to cobble together a power supply using one of the recommended Power One supplies or something similar.

I have a couple questions about distributing the power among the subracks.. Are the Doepfer bus boards the best solution, or is there a cheaper/better/easier option? I understand that the Doepfer boards are chainable, but would it be better to split off the power and distribute it to each board individually? I don't think I'll be using the CV/Gate bus, so that might be a factor in seeking a less expensive option.

Also, does anyone have any experience mixing and matching Analogue Systems and Doepfer modules? I don't want to have to shell out $20 for those little adapter boards available at AH. Anyone have any tips for DIYing an adapter cable?

Well, anyway, I am totally stoked about my gestating Eurorack. I've been rocking a System 100M "D Set" for a little while now but I can't wait to patch in some more interesting modules and really make that fucker sing. Thanks to everyone that has already posted so much valuable information.
sandyb
22tape wrote:

so you still use the kit 1 psu but power it from a 2.5a 15VAC mains? do you get the 1200ma from it?

thanks!

this is what i use and i'm pretty sure i get 1200mA. i haven't measured it but i'm powering around 800mA of modules (nearly 4x84hp worth) without issue. if you're in Europe you can get the correct transformer from Doepfer but i don't know of a US source.
sandyb
miminashi wrote:

I have a couple questions about distributing the power among the subracks.. Are the Doepfer bus boards the best solution, or is there a cheaper/better/easier option? I understand that the Doepfer boards are chainable, but would it be better to split off the power and distribute it to each board individually? I don't think I'll be using the CV/Gate bus, so that might be a factor in seeking a less expensive option.

i haven't done it but a diy bus board looks fairly straightforward - check the details in this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1406
there's a whole load of useful information from Scott in that thread if you're considering a diy case of some sort.
As far as daisychaining power boards i think it's generally better to distribute the power to each board individually. this is what the power supply that comes with the Doepfer diy kit does and i've had no issues regarding cross talk etc.
chinard
22tape wrote:
dougcl wrote:

thanks!

I posted this link on the previous page:

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_ps_ps315.php

15VAC 3a power supply for model trains. They appear to be common parts for digital train systems so most model train supply stores carry them for about $25-30 ea.

i bought mine from these guys HERE but there are plenty of other model train stores that would have them
22tape
chinard wrote:
22tape wrote:
dougcl wrote:

thanks!

I posted this link on the previous page:

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_ps_ps315.php

15VAC 3a power supply for model trains. They appear to be common parts for digital train systems so most model train supply stores carry them for about $25-30 ea.

i bought mine from these guys HERE but there are plenty of other model train stores that would have them

so, do those mains plug from digitrack and the model trains place plug into the diy kit 1 power source the same way as the mains shipped with the kit?

thanks.
chinard
22tape wrote:

so, do those mains plug from digitrack and the model trains place plug into the diy kit 1 power source the same way as the mains shipped with the kit?

thanks.

its pretty easy, just clip off the end then crimp on a couple of connectors so that they connect to the terminals. (the kind of connectors you find at your local auto parts supply stores)

Muff Wiggler
reposted from the 'eurorack pics' thread but i wanted to stick these pics in here as well, more examples of these lovely Schroff racks at work...

(blurry moduleis Z3000)
consumed
wow! you stuffed a 3A condor psu in your rack! that thing has got to be heavy as all hell. i just finished reinstalling my power-one haa15-0.8 (1 amp) PSU, which seems to be powering nearly 4x 84hp with no problem.

muff--i would strongly advise you to connect your ac receptacle securely and safely. the last thing you want to do is light up your whole rack (and possibly yourself) with mains voltage. you will get hurt and i imagine youll fry your modules. it is worth ordering a schaeffer panel for. fonik.de has an fpe file for a euro module you can use as a template. it would probably cost you about $20.
consumed
to save a little money, i discovered a way to set up my busboards so that i only need one for every two 84hp racks, and the cables just reach from both rows. the only potential problem is a lack of connectors if i used a ton of small (4hp) modules. as it is, 14 connectors is enough for me for two racks.
parasitk
Muff Wiggler wrote:

Muff, you and photoshop suck. That is all. Mr. Green
kidtesla
That's beautiful muff!!
Muff Wiggler
parasitk wrote:
Muff, you and photoshop suck. That is all. Mr. Green

hihi
Muff Wiggler
consumed wrote:
wow! you stuffed a 3A condor psu in your rack! that thing has got to be heavy as all hell. i just finished reinstalling my power-one haa15-0.8 (1 amp) PSU, which seems to be powering nearly 4x 84hp with no problem.

muff--i would strongly advise you to connect your ac receptacle securely and safely. the last thing you want to do is light up your whole rack (and possibly yourself) with mains voltage. you will get hurt and i imagine youll fry your modules. it is worth ordering a schaeffer panel for. fonik.de has an fpe file for a euro module you can use as a template. it would probably cost you about $20.

you are totally right - this is super good advice

it's only a SMALL consolation, but I have really good insulating shrinkwrap all over the inlet connectors to prevent a short even if it does knock loose...

but it's still one hell of a sketchy setup confused thanks for the info, I will look into a panel for sure
consumed
i got a little paranoid about psus recently when i almost wired up to ac mains with a really low voltage rating wire--it was good i stopped by the electronics store and mentioned my project. on his recommendation, i bought a 120V rated power cord and chopped that up to do my wiring back to the psu. i also ended up installing a humongous DPST rated for 15A (probably overkill).
Muff Wiggler
i used 600v wire, to be super duper ultra safe

i think the 15A switch will be fine 8)

always best practise to over-spec on stuff like this. and also use the DMM to check and recheck and triple-check that things are 'cold' before touching or soldering them. I'm crazy paranoid about this and am forever probing disconnected stuff like i've got an OCD about it. Always better safe then dead....
consumed
yeah for sure. ok, just checking! Combine Overwatch

hey, since were talking about power& here's a picture of my finished thingie.

Muff Wiggler
wow, beautiful job!!! love super pro

what's the case you've mounted the whole thing into?
consumed
tnx! its an ewi tourcase, 12u 10" deep:

http://audiopile.net/products/Cases/RUE-10_series_rack_cases/R12UE-10/ R12UE-10_cutsheet.asp
Muff Wiggler
awesome! thanks, i'll have to pick one of those up at some point - perfect solution
consumed
i got that case recommendation from richard (pugix.net)...looks like his site is down at the moment though.
kidtesla
consumed wrote:

hey, since were talking about power& here's a picture of my finished thingie.

love love love STUNNING!!!(That's amazing!!!)
miminashi
Nice work, consumed. That's a real inspiration. I'm definitely gonna get one of those HAA15s. May I ask where you bought yours? Looks like it's in nice shape.
parasitk
consumed wrote:
tnx! its an ewi tourcase, 12u 10" deep:

http://audiopile.net/products/Cases/RUE-10_series_rack_cases/R12UE-10/ R12UE-10_cutsheet.asp

Wow, a 12U, 10" deep rack is EXACTLY what I've been looking for for my Frac (and future Euro) setup - thanks!! we're not worthy
consumed
miminashi wrote:
Nice work, consumed. That's a real inspiration. I'm definitely gonna get one of those HAA15s. May I ask where you bought yours? Looks like it's in nice shape.

sure, i got them here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7602668477

i asked they please examine the power supplies that they have VW1 and VW2 jumpers intact. the one psu ive pulled out of the shipment did have the jumpers intact. they are little metal links that get clipped if you are configuring the PSU for 15v operation. the psus were in good shape but definitely used and very dusty.
dougcl
This is so great. I just bought eight of those power supplies. I wish I had found this forum before I bought the more expensive stuff.
miminashi
Hey, I just fired up my rack for the first time. Works a treat! It's ghetto as all hell.. you don't even wanna see how I've rigged up the power supply. Couldn't get the damn standoffs attached to my bus board, either, so that fucker is just floppin' around in there like a trout. Can't wait to have the nephews over..

One thing I'm noticing is a bit of hum. I reckon it's gotta be a grounding issue, but as far as I can tell I have everything hooked up properly.. I have the "COM" terminal on the PSU hooked up to the third pin on the the AC cord, and I have the grounding strip on the bus board attached to the chassis.. so, is there something I'm missing? PS, the only module I have is an A.Sys RS-100 filter.. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Ah fuck it, here's an image just to make y'all cringe:

GCF
Consumed- Is there not much space left behind the racks for a power supply? From the pictures it looks like your racks go right up to the edge of the back. Does the back still fit on fine? Thanks.
parasitk
Racks like that tend to have semi-deep rack lids, so I'm sure they fit on just fine!
consumed
miminashi wrote:
One thing I'm noticing is a bit of hum. I reckon it's gotta be a grounding issue, but as far as I can tell I have everything hooked up properly.. I have the "COM" terminal on the PSU hooked up to the third pin on the the AC cord, and I have the grounding strip on the bus board attached to the chassis..

you need to set it up the other way around. run your ground wire from the wall to your PSU chassis (ideally). the COM (common) output from your PSU connects to your busboard.
consumed
GCF wrote:
Consumed- Is there not much space left behind the racks for a power supply? From the pictures it looks like your racks go right up to the edge of the back. Does the back still fit on fine? Thanks.

the power supply is sitting on the rear rail of the bottom rack. it is nearly flush with the rear of the rack itself. it all fits inside of the rear rails, which have a little clearance to the back lid. there is plenty of room.
miminashi
consumed wrote:
you need to set it up the other way around. run your ground wire from the wall to your PSU chassis (ideally). the COM (common) output from your PSU connects to your busboard.

Thanks, consumed! You always come through with the pertinent info. I'll give that a try.

P.S. Nice! That surely did the trick. No more hum. Thanks again!
futuresoundsystems
Schroff rack assembled and ready to go here Mr. Green
dougcl
Another score! 36U now. I really need to stop.
dougcl
A few racks appear to be available here:

http://www.ciesurplus.com/?dest=inventory&item=V00199997099000010142

No idea how well they will work. Just picked one up for $9.99. It was about $30 shipping to PNW though. Stuff is in VA. I will at least have to fit a couple of spare Schroff rails across the front... or maybe that middle rail across the back will work.

Doug
ideovideov
wrong thread
Kent
Forums are awkward? Try dragging that monster to gigs!
ideovideov
wrong thread
ideovideov
looks like i posted in the wrong thread. mmm.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 11