MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

251e, awesome, but why must it be from 0
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author 251e, awesome, but why must it be from 0
dan_p
I got a 251e, I'm loving it so far, really great little sequencer, 4 independent seq's does loads of interesting things, clock modes and nested seq jumps, bloody great. Its easy to use, theres a knob or button for every function, its just very cool and I like it a lot...............

But.......

Why, for the love of god, must it start from 0!!!!!

I'm all for the west coast thing, don't get me wrong, but surely it wouldn't hurt to have it run from 1, would make working out div's etc much easier on longer patterns. OK, its not that hard but for the sake of it, from 1 would make more sense to me.

Am I alone in this?
xart
Well, it's one beat sooner, isn't it? It's not one. You see its zero, most blokes, you know, will be starting at beat one. You're on one here, all the way down, and you just need one beat sooner. Where can you go from there? Where?

This one starts at zero. thumbs up
Lyonel
dan_p wrote:
Am I alone in this?

lol You’re not.
dan_p
Mr. Green

Always one step ahead, I guess its the sequencer version of a a volume pot that goes up to 11.

"Most sequencers start at 1, but this one, it starts from 0, so you see, thats like an extra step, and its always a beat ahead"

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
xart
Lyonel
thumbs up

dan_p
SlayerBadger!

I'm working on a new Buchla improv piece with a theme of love entitled "Lick My love Pump" The 251e's extra step will be invaluable.
ws9848
0 is a number seriously, i just don't get it

I could see that being a little annoying though
exeterdown
xart
Thank you for that.
applause
ttown23
xart wrote:

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!
dkcg
dan_p wrote:
SlayerBadger!

I'm working on a new Buchla improv piece with a theme of love entitled "Lick My love Pump" The 251e's extra step will be invaluable.

Such a beautiful piece....in D minor...the saddest of all keys... waah
chrisso
Chuck it in the bin and buy a Verbos.
pustule
Chrisso: do you have the verbos sequencer? If so, what features are lacking when you compare it to the 251e? I'd love to see some videos of that verbos sequencer in action.
Kent
Thought that I'd throw this in after all these years:

If you are on the current version of firmware (as of today's date v30.7) you can set "Interval" to "0" and ignore step zero entirely. You'll then have a sequencer that adheres to the rest of the Buchla system in that the first step is "1".
mutierend
The reason it starts at 0 is because the first index in array is 0. Every digit in an index is an offset of the initial value, so "0" is no offset, "1' is an offset by 1, and so on.

In a 1.2v/oct system where each digit represents a "key" on a 12 octave keyboard, you get:

{0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12} = C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C

It would get really confusing if one octave above your base tuned pitch were 1.3v. smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1