MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Shpongle
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author New Shpongle
Prunesquallor
Anyone else listened to the Museum of Consciousness?

I'm not sure what to make of it yet, to be honest. I'm certainly not jumping up and down with glee like I did when I first heard Ineffable Mysteries or Tales of the Inexpressible. Some tracks may be slow growers, though. We'll see.

Here's one of my favourites so far -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWFL4Y1KhOg
Babaluma
heard the freebie track a while back and liked it. waiting till i can afford the 24 bit download of the whole album, hopefully this week. wish he would do another dance album though!
Prunesquallor
Babaluma wrote:
wish he would do another dance album though!

I've just read the Q&A he did on Reddit yesterday and he said that although he may do another solo album, he's totally disenchanted with the current psy trance scene ('pay trance', as he calls it) and is unlikely to do it under the name Hallucinogen, as it carries too much baggage. He's happy to DJ his old stuff, but he's moved on, it seems.

Meanwhile, he's talking about Shpongle 6. applause
digidennis
mmm. Gamma Goblins, only 17 years ago you kids get off my lawn
Babaluma
Prunesquallor wrote:
Babaluma wrote:
wish he would do another dance album though!

I've just read the Q&A he did on Reddit yesterday and he said that although he may do another solo album, he's totally disenchanted with the current psy trance scene ('pay trance', as he calls it) and is unlikely to do it under the name Hallucinogen, as it carries too much baggage. He's happy to DJ his old stuff, but he's moved on, it seems.

Meanwhile, he's talking about Shpongle 6. applause

precisely why i wish he WOULD do another dance album! smile it wouldn't have to psy style though. agree the psy scene has definitely degenerated this century. still good new stuff out there, but harder to find, seems like more than 80% of it is just completely formulaic and uninspired.
Backroads
Babaluma wrote:
still good new stuff out there, but harder to find, seems like more than 80% of it is just completely formulaic and uninspired.

Got any suggestions?
Babaluma
Dog Ov Tears (member here) and Xenomorph both offer something new to my ears, also loved Sun Kite a while back, but don't think they've done anything recently. But I don't know that much about the newer scene I'm afraid, my encyclopaedic trance knowledge stopped in the last century. lol

My friend recently played me some classic examples of Forest Trance and Suomi, but it just sounded like formulaic trance to me. I don't really get/hear the differences with the various sub genres these days.
regenbot
I remember when it came out woah Got it on lunch break, had to skip rest of the day hihi

If you have spotify, here's a classic classic album.
digidennis wrote:
Prunesquallor
regenbot wrote:
I remember when it came out woah Got it on lunch break, had to skip rest of the day hihi

If you have spotify, here's a classic classic album.
digidennis wrote:

Nah! Astral Projection or nothing! razz

Back OT, is anyone going to see Shpongle at the Troxy (London, UK) this October? Full live band! SlayerBadger!
Backroads
Astral Projection got me into goa and psytrance. Right now I'm at work, listening to Goa Gil's Karmageddon mix 8_)
Prunesquallor
Backroads wrote:
Astral Projection got me into goa and psytrance. Right now I'm at work, listening to Goa Gil's Karmageddon mix 8_)

Sweet! 8_)
The_hitcher
Backroads wrote:
Babaluma wrote:
still good new stuff out there, but harder to find, seems like more than 80% of it is just completely formulaic and uninspired.

Got any suggestions?

Kri Samadhi is an American Live act that's been at the Psy Sound for decades now. He's started releasing modular albums now. It's great. He also does some modular ambient stuff under "A Pale Void". I'm sure he's on MF, just don't know his u/n.

Sorry to steer off topic. Shpongle is to me what Pink Floyd is to my old man.
Panason
Quote:
('pay trance', as he calls it)

I call it sigh trance.

It is a cultural abomination. That 16ths bassline and clicky kick drum is as much of a sure indicator of soulless formulaic garbage as the wub wub of "dubstep".

I worked at the Boom festival a few times. Having had to be exposed to this shit almost non-stop for 7 days has created a serious aversion reaction in my body, almost like a gag reflex.

Some of the stuff that has come out of Australia is a bit more interesting and funky.
Eurocat
Panason wrote:
Quote:
('pay trance', as he calls it)

I call it sigh trance.

It is a cultural abomination. That 16ths bassline and clicky kick drum is as much of a sure indicator of soulless formulaic garbage as the wub wub of "dubstep".

I worked at the Boom festival a few times. Having had to be exposed to this shit almost non-stop for 7 days has created a serious aversion reaction in my body, almost like a gag reflex.

Some of the stuff that has come out of Australia is a bit more interesting and funky.

You nailed it right on the head. This is the worst stuff I’ve ever heard.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1