MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

best quality module with headphone outs?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author best quality module with headphone outs?
Kingnimrod
I currently have a pittsburgh outs and the headphone amp out is alright, but feels like it's missing something, especially the low end.

Are there other modules out there with higher-quality headphone amps? How does the uJack compare?
exper
I'm going for the uJack, as I think I've read people have had good experiences with it, and it was designed to run high end headphones with low impedance. Plus, it'll connect to my forthcoming Dubmix as a nice unbalanced output/headphone out. I recently had a Circuit Abbey Unify, and its not bad, but I think it can have a little too much noise-floor. At least in my experience. I've heard lots of issues with the PGH Outs as well. It can be noisy...
John Noble
Pittsburgh's headphone amp is a solid design, I don't know how much improvement is to be had unless you have some hard-to-drive cans.
Matos
I believe Andrew from steady state fate was working on a high quality one for either SSF or WMD. Rockin' Banana!
roqeja
I love my uJack, gives me plenty of quality sound including a nice low end. Haven't had any experience with any other headphone amps though.

What kind of headphones are you using? That can be a big factor in my experience.
ether
I like my ujack. Haven't tried others.
primemover
It may be overkill if you have enough mixing, but Unify works like a charm!
wbuttler
I have both Pittsburgh and Unify, not sure what your issue is with Unify, I have a high-end monitoring system and Unify is pretty clean.

Pittsburgh has 1/4 inch sockets, which is nice, but it's mono only. I don't like the tiny output sockets on Unify, but it would be a lot bigger without them, so I can live with it.

It always strikes me as odd that we lust over high-quality pre-amps etc just after we have added distortion and grunge right through the VCO-VCF chain. Sure, I don't want noisy outputs, but my guess is that there is little to be gained by taking up valuable rack space with headphone amps. May as well run the modules direct to a quality external mixer and monitor from there.
Dcramer
I just added a new Pitts outs, mine is rev5 and works great, very quiet, low distortion. I'm using it with Audio Technica reference cans.
mheumann
Unify is fine for my purposes, though it's a lot more than just a headphone out.
L.C.O.
Dcramer wrote:
I just added a new Pitts outs, mine is rev5 and works great, very quiet, low distortion. I'm using it with Audio Technica reference cans.

How do you identify which version is your unit?
Mine is not that quiet... especially on the headphone output.
limpmeat
I'd be interested in one with a limiter, using headphones while tweaking stuff could be dangerous for your eardrums.
John Noble
wbuttler wrote:
Pittsburgh has 1/4 inch sockets, which is nice, but it's mono only.

Not sure what you mean here. The headphone output is a 1/4" TRS stereo jack, and the two 1/4" TS outputs are fed from a dual pot. If you feed stereo into the module, you get stereo out.

Quote:
Sure, I don't want noisy outputs, but my guess is that there is little to be gained by taking up valuable rack space with headphone amps. May as well run the modules direct to a quality external mixer and monitor from there.

One word: portability. This doesn't apply to everyone, but I can dispense with the outboard mixer entirely a lot of the time, and that's a big win for me and probably for others.
wbuttler
John Noble wrote:
wbuttler wrote:

Not sure what you mean here. The headphone output is a 1/4" TRS stereo jack, and the two 1/4" TS outputs are fed from a dual pot. If you feed stereo into the module, you get stereo out.

Of course, that is correct. What I meant is that you can feed in 4 mono sources and pan each of them across stereo. With the Pittsburgh, either you use panner/crossfaders before the Outs, or just live with the sources being panned hard left and right.

The Unify is a nice little solution to provide a degree of portability without using too much rack space. I will also be interested in the XAOC Praga when it arrives.
Dcramer
I had read a thread on here about troubles with the Pitts outs in which Richard talked about removing 2 caps and he posted pics. When I checked mine I noticed the component layout is very different and it says rev 5 on the pcb.
L.C.O.
Just checked: mine says REV4.
hmmm...
simfonik
I have Outs and Unify and they're both solid for headphone monitoring.
Notfromearth
I have the Pittsburgh one used with my headphone Ultrasone PRO750, I'm very satisfied!!!

My blog page
ferran
Unify works the best for me. thumbs up
WMDevices
This is coming very soon. 3-5 weeks.

Nominal modular inputs, drives a stereo mini-jack for connecting directly to consumer level devices (computer inputs, cheap recorders, cameras).

Uses higher headroom opamps than most of modular, meaning that it CAN NOT clip with 23Vpp input signals.

Balanced left/right outputs for use on stage driving PA systems or mixing desks or pro level outboard gear.

Headphone/Line level out using a very hi-fi current-feedback amplifier (high power, low distortion, very accurate). Easily drives any set of headphones. Mini jack and 1/4" jack connected in parallel for ease of use, or running two sets of headphones simultaneously.

Headphone pot has jumpers on back to limit maximum level available on pot. This is NOT a clipping limiter, but will protect you from bumping the pot all the way up.

+-60mA, 6HP, 42mm Deep.

JohnLRice
The Unify headphone out works fine here! thumbs up

If you don't need a mixer, that new WMD ProOutput module looks sweet!
milkshake
I just plug the headphone straight into the VCA/Mixer of my modular, never had any quality issues.

What is important here is the output impedance of the module (VCA or mixer) and the impedance of the headphone used. If the output impedance is 8 x lower or more than the frequency curve of the headphone will be unchanged.
darylc
I've got both PGH outs and uJack , the uJack being preferred for headphones.

the individual line outs on both have cross channel bleed, with the uJack having less noise & cross talk

Intellijel Audio Interface is the best i've encountered so far for individual line in/outs, no cross talk, clean a whistle and a great list of in/out gain/balancing options.
No headphone outs, but i route all the above through my audio interface anyway unless im not recording.
KNYST
WMDevices wrote:

I like this.
The pot is for phones out only, right? (as in not affecting the bal outs)
nothings
John Noble wrote:
wbuttler wrote:

To clarify the diff between Pittsburgh and uJack, uJack normals left to right (so if you plug in only one thing, you automatically get centered mono), plus it has a mono slider for the headphones so if you do feed in separate L&R signals you can easily switch between treating them as stereo (hard left and hard right) or two mono signals (centered). This is good because hard left/hard right is terrible in headphones in a way it's not for speakers.

Pittsburgh Outs doesn't provide either option. Of course you can just manually mult/stackable the left to the right, but that's enough of a bother that this (mono headphone ability) is the sole reason I switched from Pittsburgh to uJack.

(Obviously if you have need for the extra functionality of Unify that may make more sense than either.)

Edit: hmm, I just looked up the Outs and on the website it claims right is normalled from left. Either this has changed since I got mine, mine is broken, or I had user error when I tried to do this. The last seems pretty unlikely (I clearly remember being super-annoyed by this), but I guess maybe somehow?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2