MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Info on Volta's ramp automation
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Info on Volta's ramp automation
doctorvague
I hadn't had a chance to try Volta's ramp automation but did today. At first I thought the ramps would be in a MIDI track aimed at Volta but you actually do it in the Volta track itself which makes sense. For some reason I had a notion to hook my oscilloscope up to the 24i/o to see what was happening (and I figured it would look cool to see the same ramps on the scope as the screen - it does). What the manual doesn't tell you and the ramp automation doesn't indicate is that the ramp output is bipolar. When I pulled up the ramp and plugged in the scope it jumped to -5V. I was confused at first and then entered in a ramp and realized that Zero ramp =-5V, .5 ramp (halfway up) = 0V and 1 ramp (full up) = +5V. Keep in mind with the ramp inserted, until you've entered in non-zero ramps in the track, it will be outputting -5V by default.

Without a scope or voltmeter this might create some confusion and should have been documented IMO, so I thought I'd post it here for you Voltars.

Cheers
Phil
stretta
Ideally, voltage sources like ramps (and others) would have a unipolar/bi-polar user-selectable option.

Anyway, sorry about the confusion. Good thing to point out.
1nput0utput
If I'm not mistaken, it won't be -5V for all interfaces. It'll be the lowest possible negative DC voltage that the D/A output is capable of producing. For some audio interfaces that might be -5V, but it could be less (like -2V) for D/A outputs that have a narrower total output voltage range.
doctorvague
1nput0utput wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, it won't be -5V for all interfaces. It'll be the lowest possible negative DC voltage that the D/A output is capable of producing. For some audio interfaces that might be -5V, but it could be less (like -2V) for D/A outputs that have a narrower total output voltage range.

Indeed and good point to clarify.

Another thing to keep in mind with these kinds of voltages that are not 1V/Oct is that with an insert cable (in my case anyway with TRS) you have the inverse of the ramp available as well without using another audio output.

I had a friend over later and we had some amusement as I drew ramps in real time as DP was running and then we could see the ramps go by on the scope at the modular. But then we're easily amused. Mr. Green
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1