MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

parts is parts...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author parts is parts...
plord
That subject line is total crap.

I just got my Mouser order for Klee panel parts and the guts of an MOTM-700 dual switch that I am going to frac up. To say I got a little carried away is an understatement. I went with some ace panel mount LED holders, three kinds of NKK toggle switches, super tiny alps rotary pots, and an NKK 12 position switch that is so amazing it buggers the imagination.

No, seriously. I have some 12 position rotaries here that I got from Elby with my CGS seq switch kits. They're mostly plastic, slightly larger than the diameter of a quarter, dinky flat tin pins, 3" round plastic shaft with high turning resistance. The NKK is smaller than a dime in diameter, about an inch total length, all metal, thick metal pins that won't bend, metal d-shaft with included knob, and smooth like buttah to turn. In pure tactile and functional product terms, this is the iPod of switches. As they should be, considering the cost, but DAMN. I'm a little excited just thinking about them.

Now I just have to triple check all of the hole diameters and spacing on my panel design then we can get to work. I've already found one flaw: I want to use some big finger friendly caps on the slide pots, but the pots are too close on the FPD I'm working with. Still haven't solved the mounting issue either.

Also: this was my first big ass (multi-hundred dollar) Mouser order, and as far as I can tell, I only f'd up one part, nabbing myself a set of useless SMD quad op amp ICs instead of the oldschool type. Oops. Well, and the slider pots I picked out were missing *mounting screws* but in a fortuitous coincidence the old Blacet rack frame screws that hold on the ears-- which I have swapped 100% for Alex Iles' blackened ones-- fit perfectly smile
synthetic
Quote:
a set of useless SMD quad op amp ICs instead of the oldschool type

I'm so paranoid about that, and I still end up doing it once per order.

Post a pic of that switch if you can. smile
plord
Pic as requested:

consumed
funny, but i prefer the alpha/lorlin big plastic rotary switches.
i purchased a switch similar/same to the little one you've got there.
but i robbed one of my kits for its larger alpha switch for the klee instead.
i think the tiny little d-shaft knob put me off. i needed something beefier.

speaking of switches...boy i sure do hate soldering to pins.
the lorlin switches i just bought have solder lugs, praise the lord.
AND the shafts are small 16-20mm deals, not huge like some of those elby ones.
ill post a pic later.

speaking of sliders and the klee--i bought all the hardware, then changed my mind and went rotary pots.
i was too worried about screwing up on a really expensive fpe panel.
plord
consumed wrote:
funny, but i prefer the alpha/lorlin big plastic rotary switches.
i purchased a switch similar/same to the little one you've got there. but i robbed one of my kits for its larger alpha switch for the klee instead. i think the tiny little d-shaft knob put me off. i needed something beefier.
The big flaw of the tiny d-shaft for me is that the Davies knobs won't fit it. But these came with a nice knob, and the feel is just so perfect. I ended up getting 5 of them and will use them for the sequential switches I am making as well.

Quote:
speaking of switches...boy i sure do hate soldering to pins.
Yeah, that part of this whole process doesn't really appeal to me much, but at least my jacks and pots all have lugs. It could be much worse.

Quote:
speaking of sliders and the klee--i bought all the hardware, then changed my mind and went rotary pots. i was too worried about screwing up on a really expensive fpe panel.
I'm still going to try for sliders. I don't want to have 32 screw holes for the sliders on the panel itself, though, so I'm hoping to kill two birds with one stone and make an L shaped bracket to both hold the PCBs and also hold the sliders, mounting to the front panel with at most 8 screws. One possibly daft notion I had was to get another FPE panel for this purpose out of very thin aluminum stock; it would be as wide as the slider section but very long, and I'd fold it here by some means not yet determined smile
consumed
plord wrote:
I'm still going to try for sliders. I don't want to have 32 screw holes for the sliders on the panel itself, though, so I'm hoping to kill two birds with one stone and make an L shaped bracket to both hold the PCBs and also hold the sliders, mounting to the front panel with at most 8 screws. One possibly daft notion I had was to get another FPE panel for this purpose out of very thin aluminum stock; it would be as wide as the slider section but very long, and I'd fold it here by some means not yet determined

i dont know what you have in mind for your design, but if your toggles are above/below your sliders, you can use the toggles to secure the subpanel to the frontpanel and use zero screws.
plord
consumed wrote:
i dont know what you have in mind for your design, but if your toggles are above/below your sliders, you can use the toggles to secure the subpanel to the frontpanel and use zero screws.

Ooooh! Yes, this should work fine, Thanks!
consumed
ive said this before but ill say it again.
you HAVE to go see how uncle krunkus made his subpanel!
check the klee forum, klee panel design thread, page 2!
hes already done the hard thinking about this already. we talked about his subpanel in that thread.

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-21954-25.html
synthetic
Hey, I have one of those switches in my parts bin. I'll have to give it another look/feel.
Liquidcolor
You can use Davies knobs with 1/8" shaft NKK switches with an alco/tyco shaft reducer.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId= -1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=551494

or:

part number 551494 at Jameco
plord
Thanks Michael smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1