MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Shark tooth wave
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Shark tooth wave
kdjupdal
The original minimoog had one special waveform, sometimes called "shark tooth", a mix of saw and triangle. You can get this by just mixing those waveforms from the same oscillator on your modular (about 75% triangle and 25% saw).

Of course you can mix all waveforms, but I think this combination has a particular interesting warm sound. More synths should include this one as a standard.
Kent
Okay! thumbs up

Check out the shark-tooth wave on the Metasonix Wretch Machine for a filthy take on this matter.
kdjupdal
Tube synth?
Kent
Wørd.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
malekko oscillator + xmix! w00t
Beermaster
Aries 338 PMS VCO. . . that does it. ( a bit on the rare side tho )
Savage
kdjupdal wrote:
The original minimoog had one special waveform, sometimes called "shark tooth", a mix of saw and triangle. You can get this by just mixing those waveforms from the same oscillator on your modular (about 75% triangle and 25% saw).

Of course you can mix all waveforms, but I think this combination has a particular interesting warm sound. More synths should include this one as a standard.

I mix waveforms all the time and had suspected this, but I don't have an oscilloscope to prove it. I just thought it sounded cool. Thanks! I'm going to add this to my notes!
mojopin
thumbs up
naahmmm
Is the zigzag waveform found on the intellijel oscillators close to it? Any Audio demos?
numan7
i was just patching metasonix r54s the other day such that the overdriven squarish wave from one r54 was modulating pitch of another r54, dialed to clean sinusoidal range. and managed to get a result i thought sounded similar to the r55's sawtooth wave and kind of resembled it on the oscilloscope.

i haven't tried mixing 75% saw with 25% triangle on a conventional vco for sharkfin waveforms before, but will try it sometime (thanks for the info, kdjupdal!) and compare what it sounds like versus metasonix vcos.

cheers
Graham Hinton
kdjupdal wrote:

It just strengthens harmonics of the triangle a touch, more so higher up:

You could do it on anything with three jacks and two resistors. On the Minimoog they are passively mixed on the waveform selector switch with a 47k and 10k resistor, but the amplitudes are not equal.
kdjupdal
Does it mean I would only need two resistors to mod my oscillator to get this waveform? I suspected it could easily be done.
Graham Hinton
kdjupdal wrote:
Does it mean I would only need two resistors to mod my oscillator to get this waveform? I suspected it could easily be done.

Yes. Just take an output from the junction of two unequal resistors. Swap inputs to taste. You could have built it by now...
Eric G
On the Minimoog D that wave is made simply my mixing saw and tri.
jbaken
totally forgot about that waveform.. will have to recreate this. thanks!
sonicwarrior
naahmmm wrote:
Is the zigzag waveform found on the intellijel oscillators close to it?

Nope.

naahmmm wrote:
Any Audio demos?

Don't you have a standard VCO with triangle and saw plus a mixer to try this yourself?
naahmmm
sonicwarrior wrote:

naahmmm wrote:
Any Audio demos?

Don't you have a standard VCO with triangle and saw plus a mixer to try this yourself?

sure, but I wanted to hear the original minimoog "shark tooth" wave and I dont have a minimoog...
Eric G
It's not that fantastic really. A tri with added buzz. I never use it.
qfactor
Here's a demo of this waveform from a MiniMoog Model D.
The 1st one is the Triangle wave while the 2nd is the "Sharktooth" hihi

[s]http://soundcloud.com/qfactor/sharktooth-wave-demo/s-aLvOg[/s]
sonicwarrior
qfactor wrote:

Sounds pretty similar to what I get out of my Dixie VCO. No super special Minimoog vibe here I guess.
qfactor
sonicwarrior wrote:
qfactor wrote:

Sounds pretty similar to what I get out of my Dixie VCO. No super special Minimoog vibe here I guess.

Yup! Nothing special there with the filters wide open!
Although, if I were to compare the Triangle and Sharktooth with a Sawtooth as well, the Sawtooth could be,perhaps, 6dB louder than these two waves.
So the Sharktooth is pretty mellow, comparatively. smile
Darkside
Sorry for waking up a zombie, but isn't the Monotribe's triangle actually a sharktooth? Sounds actually more like that. BTW, a sawtooth is the only traditionally sounding wave on that little Korg, as the pulse isn't a streight 50-50, but more of something similar to a tb-303 may-be.
Pelsea
Looks like a badly adjusted triangle to me. Available on nearly any saw core oscillator. One man's trimpot is another man's special feature.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1