MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Volta tips
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Volta tips
doctorvague
Please post anything that might be of interest here, no matter how simple it might seem.

I've been using the step sequencers to send rhythmic clock pulses to the modular. At first just sending to EG's the normal way and lately to A Moon Modular trigger sequencer. Since it has 4 rows you can send 4 different pulse streams, one to each row. I also use a DIY switcher module in that chain so I can route triggers on the fly to different destinations. Anyway as far as Volta goes, I originally was sending 1/4, 1/8ths, 16ths, etc. What's really cool though is to send both on and off beats. On a recent video I did, I sent 5 pulse streams out of Volta:

a reset pulse every measure
16th notes with only the 1,3,5 etc turned on (on beats)
16th notes with 2,4,6 etc turned (off beats)
All 16th notes
all 1/4 notes

sending the offbeats as an option can work really well sometimes, especially with a switcher module which I highly recommend, even a simple rotary thing or whatever. You can do the same with 1/8ths or 32nds etc.

Another scheme is creating 4 trigger sequencers set on 16ths, with each one just 4 16ths long. On the first one turn on the 1st 16th note only, the second, the second and so on. You can do this with as many audio outs you have. I used 4 and sent them to 4 rows of the Moon trigger seq so each row advanced a 16th later than the previous row. I'll post an example later and I have it on raw video if anyone's really interested. If you do use Volta in this way - to send different rhythmic trigger pulses, I highly recommend some kind of switching module so you can play with it right at the modular (or a VC switch for example). Ditto for standard 1V/Oct+Gate voices too - to route to different destinations, etc. Something like this is an easy DIY project and comes in handy if you like to work this way. If you get a 2 pole rotary you can switch V/Oct+trigger voice at the same time.

Quadrature! or Sextature or Octature.

I'm sure someone has probably brought this up somewhere it's so obvious, but a quadrature oscillator is a piece of the cake in Volta. Set up 4 LFO's and increment each one by 90 degrees phase. Just divide 360 by your desired outputs, like 60 degrees for 6 channels. Hey, if you got the modules go for it! Besides 'sextature' is, well, sexy sounding.
"My Barber Pole is Sextaturized, baby." [cue wah-wah 70's guitar]
Now there's an inside modular joke!

Cheers,
Phil
1nput0utput
doctorvague wrote:

I love it. Definitely sig material.

(Apologies for not contributing anything useful to the thread…)
doctorvague
1nput0utput wrote:
doctorvague wrote:

I love it. Definitely sig material.

(Apologies for not contributing anything useful to the thread…)

I can't believe you said that as the first reply applause

I thought of asking sandy what the limit is, and would that fit
I mean the tag-line rank thingie
in the meantime it's a sig, baybee 8_) 8_) 8_)
doctorvague
I wanted to add something I thought of after the fact:
that you can actually do a quadrature LFO using only 2 audio outputs by using 2 insert cables (or an XLR cable wired for it). Just instantiate 2 LFO's one at 0 and one at 90. then the 180 and 270 will come up on the normally unused output of the balance lines of the 0 and 90, the ring in the case of TRS plugs or pin 3 of XLR.
Quite a bit of bang for 2 audio outs.
EDIT: this only applies to completely symmetrical waves like sine waves!

Now I just need to figure out "what do I do with quadrature LFO's?"
I know there are uses, I'm just not real familiar it myself. Any suggestions?
patchdub
i have been using volta in ableton.

i have never felt the need to use the midi fxs in ableton before but then realized that i could put the midi arpeggiator on to the volta track and boom all of a sudden i have an arpeggiator. put the midi random fx after the arpeg and it gets really cool.

thats all i got.
1nput0utput
patchdub wrote:
i have been using volta in ableton.

i have never felt the need to use the midi fxs in ableton before but then realized that i could put the midi arpeggiator on to the volta track and boom all of a sudden i have an arpeggiator. put the midi random fx after the arpeg and it gets really cool.

thats all i got.

Digital Performer and Logic also have similar MIDI transformation processors, which could be used to the same effect.

Something that came up a few weeks ago in a different thread was using audio effects plug-ins to process the CV signals generated by Volta (delay, echo, phaser, ring mod, reverb, etc.).
doctorvague
1nput0utput wrote:

Something that came up a few weeks ago in a different thread was using audio effects plug-ins to process the CV signals generated by Volta (delay, echo, phaser, ring mod, reverb, etc.).

I've been trying to get my head wrapped around that concept and have no clue how you would put that to practical use. For example, what is reverb or a phaser going to do with a CV or trigger?? Do you guys have any specific ideas on how you would put this to use? I'm really curious about this.

hmmm..... hmmm..... hmmm.....
MrBiggs
Late to the party here. But I've been frustrated with the trigger sequencer in Volta as when two triggers were side by side, nothing was responding to the second trigger. As if it were legato. Then just yesterday I was trying to control my Seq02 clock with it and noticed the "duration" thingy. I dragged this number down from 100 to about 20 and voila. The triggers now are separated and can clock my sequencer.

It would be nice to save these kinds of things so I don't have to set this each time I throw a trigger up there...

Brian
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1