MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

KOMA RH-301 - Tap Tempo Masterclock / LFO / ADSR Pedal!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> KOMA Elektronik Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author KOMA RH-301 - Tap Tempo Masterclock / LFO / ADSR Pedal!
tektoktiktak
We are getting started for production, in this post we will post photos and updates on this new monster of a machine!!

Look what came in yesterday:

woo! nanners

More information:

Berlin based musical instruments manufacturer KOMA Elektronik is very exciting to announce a brand new pedal: the KOMA RH-301 Rhythm Workstation / Utility Tool! The RH-301 is KOMA Elektronik’s solution for a problem many musicians are struggling with: analog and digital equipment that needs to run side by side, but still needs to be controlled, which is not always an easy task! This is why KOMA decided to build a ‘Master Sync Station’ that helps electronic musicians get the most out of their equipment by properly syncing (a large amount of) devices in many different ways!

Master Clock

The heart of the pedal is the master clock, of which the tempo can be set by turning the tempo knob, by tapping a tempo on the tap button, by syncing it to MIDI or to an external CV clock signal. Besides the normal clock output the user can also divide the signal with the Divisions knoba and send a faster or slower signal via the two Division Outputs. The generated clock signal can be passed on via CV with the two Clock Outputs, two Division Outputs or via the MIDI Output. An incoming MIDI signal can also be passed through via the MIDI Through and Out jacks.

LFO

The second feature of the RH-301 is the LFO, which can be synced to the master clock or run freely from 0,25 Hz to 260 Hz in five different shapes: sine, triangle, square, S&H and noise. This means the pedal can also be used as an oscillator, when the user turns the LFO up into the audible ranges. When the LFO is in Sync-Mode the user can choose the same divisions as the divisions of the masterclock. The LFO has two seperate outputs on the patch bay: LFO Out and LFO Inverted Out. All the features of the LFO are also controllable via control voltage, the pedal boasts CV inputs for LFO Speed, LFO Reset and LFO Symmetry.

Envelope Generator

The third feature of the pedal is an ADSR that can be easily synced to the master clock, or run in loop mode. Besides the normal controls for Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release the pedal comes with a Range knob to set the range of the envelope created. The Envelope Generator comes with a normal Envelope Output, but also an Inverted Output. The Envelope Generator can be triggered by an external Gate CV Source through the Envelope Gate Input. Besides all these features, the RH-301 also comes with a built-in KOMA Elektronik sensor, which can be used as a separate CV Output on the patch bay as well. No matter what your setup is, digital or analog, if you use a modular synthesizer, DAW, drum computer, synthesizer or KOMA’s own BD-101 and FT-201 effect pedals, the RH-301 is an effective tool to make sure they all walk in line.

http://www.koma-elektronik.com/products/rh-301-rhythm-workstation-util ity-tool/
BugBrand
Looks very good!

Can you say a little more about Din Sync - from the image on web, looks like there's just one socket? Is it perhaps switchable in/out or..??.. Watching the initial video suggests it may just be input..
osterchrisi
I don't know exactly which picture you saw, probably it's from an older prototype. On the RH301 there is a combined MIDI / DIN input jack and then separate outputs for DIN sync and MIDI. The pedal can only run on one master input source anyway, so you can plug both MIDI and DIN sync cables (they use the same DIN connectoro) into the combined input and the pedal figures which signal is coming in. So both MIDI to DIN and DIN to MIDI conversion is possible.
BugBrand
Ah - ok - interesting!
The Koma site picture (linked from above) was what I was going on - first pic that comes up - shows that the back would have DIN SYNC, MIDI IN, MIDI OUT, MIDI THRU.
(I quite possibly didn't look too hard in other places though!)
Thanks.
nrvana8775
Very cool!
nrvana8775
Similar functionality to the moog mp-201. Hmm.
tektoktiktak

And here is the first official photo of the 1st unit! Out in 2,5 weeks!
DanielW
Estimated price?
tektoktiktak
This are our webshop prices and 399 EUR is the MRSP incl. 19% VAT.
That comes down to 335,29 EUR (Excl. EU VAT)

We offer FREE shipping within the EU / International Flat Rate Shipping from our website. Our dealers have individual deals.

Shipping Date: 9nd September 2013

More information: http://www.koma-elektronik.com/products/rh-301-rhythm-workstation-util ity-tool/
Kent
Nice work and a sorely needed product. I've been thinking about finding a 2nd MP-201, but this thing covers pretty much everything that I've wanted in a 2nd unit.
seek
Is the analog clock output on this pedal 24 PQN (pulses per quarter note)?

Also, what is the expected PQN for the external analog clock input?

Thank you.
osterchrisi
The main analog clock out is a "classic" analog clock, i.e. a square wave with 50% duty cycle, like one that you would use for your step sequencer or as a gate for a VCA. It goes high on every quarter note for the length of an eigth note. You can have divisions or multiples of that at the division output and on the LFO output.

An external analog clock is expected to be the 24ppqn one. This is mainly due to lack of stability in virtually all of the analog clocks out there. It is impossible to steadily sync to a four quarters per beat clock over time when you think about having 24 times less information than MIDI or DIN. So MIDI, DIN and external analog clock on the RH301 run on 24ppqn which makes sure that all external syncing is tight in respect to each other.
Adam Standring
Can't wait for mine to show up - going to use it with Moogerfoogers and CP-251 to Sync with my Analog 4 etc. Should be shipping in next week or so...
Slabwax
Is there any audio samples yet?
a scanner darkly
They posted new video today:

Slabwax
Thank you.
Adam Standring
Be great to be able to clock the LFO or master clock from a square wave LFO input...
osterchrisi
Adam Standring wrote:
Be great to be able to clock the LFO or master clock from a square wave LFO input...

You can do that by sending your square wave signal right into the EXT. CLOCK input on the top patchbay. This way you can sync the master clock and optionally the LFO to an external square wave signal - the signal is expected to provide 24 beats per quarter for tempo stability.
DanielW
Got an excellent demo of this by the KOMA guys at Jam Stockholm the other day. The three pedals together can sure do some fucked-up shit...
Gripp
Still very interested in the possibility of making an RH301 the centerpiece of rythm and pulse in my setup.

I would just like to know if it does merge data from the MIDI in with the internally generated MIDI clock and send that to main MIDI out with good clock stability.
I need to be able to send various CC's, notes and PC's from my MIDI footswitch or lemur on Ipad, merged with MIDI clock to a bunch of moogerfoogers, an eventide and some other gear.

Cheers!
osterchrisi
Hey Gripp, I fear that's not possible in the way that you describe it. The MIDI input only works if the RH301 is in slave mode. So you can send MIDI data - including a MIDI clock - into the RH301 and the pedal will adjust to the tempo as a slave and send out its signals through the various outputs. But you can't send MIDI data without MIDI clock into the RH301 and merge the clock to it as no MIDI data input is processed when the pedal runs as master clock.

This is an interesting case though. The RH301 has the ability to be updated via MIDI SysEx data, so I will see what the possibilities are for a future firmware update. It would be a great feature to have incomming MIDI date merged with the internal clock, you are absolutey right about that.
Gripp
Thanks for a perfectly clear answer!

Hoping for a firmware update then thumbs up

The way I see myself using the RH301 if it did MIDI merge, is almost always having it as masterclock via its tap tempo or free clock, very infrequently slave it to an LFO or something in my modular. DIN sync out from RH301 to modular Pamelas workout module as default setup and MIDI clock merged with incoming MIDI data to moogerfoogers, eventide and looper. Divisions, lfo, ADSR and sensor going all around the place both to modular and pedals.

Right now, I use a ploytech 34one pedal and distribute its MIDI clock + merged MIDI data to both pedals and to a kenton modular solo to make that MIDI clock into analog clock.
The RH301 looks like much more fun, would probably give a more stable clocking and I could loose the kenton that now almost exclusively works as a clock converter. I could probably loose a few other modules too.
osterchrisi
I checked out the possibilities for this feature and in theory it should be easily possible. In that mode the incomming MIDI would be written to a buffer and everything that is already a clock signal would then simply be deleted from that buffer and the newly generated clock would be added. It is more a matter of how to implement it in the current feature setup, i.e. how to get into "MIDI Add" mode (it's not really merging as far as my understanding goes). But there will definitely be a solution for that.

Since the RH301 is only out for a month we will wait some more time before we would release a firmware update, but this is a feature that will definitely be in the next update - thanks again for your thoughts, Gripp!
Paranormal Patroler
Nice package. Although I'd diss the EG functionality and have more clock outputs with divisions etc. This is a clock unit after all. Maybe a few more MIDI ports as well. Still, cool solution to the clocking problem. Wonder if I could clock my 96ppqn craving Grids module with it.
Cata
Having some issues where I have the master clock running freely, then take a division out to my moskwa and the sequence skips a beat about every 20 seconds or so. Anyone else have this issue? I don't even have anything running into this guy through MIDI/DIN, just have the division clock running out to the Moskwa seriously, i just don't get it

Heres a video showing the problem
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> KOMA Elektronik Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2