MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hardware Spectrum Analyzer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Hardware Spectrum Analyzer?
Mood Organ
Does anyone here use a spectrum analyzer?

I'm talking hardware - my poor laptop can barely play back all the tracks I'm layering.

Seems like it could be useful sometimes and fun to watch... usually?
Kent
If you only need an RTA (no fancy spectrographs) then I'll mention this here thang that we make:

It comes with a measurement mic and is a 4-channel unit. It is also an EQ. The algorithms were lifted from the EAW SMAART system.
Lyonel
I use this one since years, with Vector-scope, FFT and 1/3 octave analyzers, various meter scales.
Not cheap but reliable and reassuring when your ears are tired at the end of a mix.

http://www.dk-technologies.com/products/product.php?type=MSD200C
science
Damn... looks awesome, and I wanted one, until I saw the price.

~$4k USD. Ouch.
Lyonel
Yes, at least we could say they do not donate it.
But it works great... at least. lol
ndkent
I bought a 1980s consumer one by BSR. I think it was $40 or $50 on blowout a long time ago. I'm sure it retailed for a lot more though nowhere near what a lab quality unit would. It came with a lavalier mic so you could attempt to EQ out your speaker response with an EQ. Seemed to be just octaves and certainly more a tool to for fun and approximation than anything serious

I would think buying a new computer would easily price out many times better than a pro hardware unit today. Depends on your needs and the specs you need.
Lyonel
ndkent wrote:
I would think buying a new computer would easily price out many times better than a pro hardware unit today.

Yep... but i still use it... computer off. wink
science
Lyonel wrote:
Yes, at least we could say they do not donate it.
But it works great... at least. lol

It fucking better lol wink

I was thinking when I first saw it that it looked like it would be a great alternative to having to waste screen space on my computer displays for analysis... but I could have another 8 core workstation and 2 more displays for that price lol
Kent
The DK Audio units are fucking ace! I love 'em.
Mood Organ
Yeah, this is really a bit of a lark. $4K is way out of my range... need to save the scratch for stuff that makes sounds. I was hoping in the $100 neighborhood, as it really doesn't need to be anything fancy or particularly accurate. I bet I could get a cassette deck with spectrum analyzer for nothin'

OK so I've got some things to think about. Feel free to toss out more suggestions... this ain't urgent Mr. Green
Lyonel
I remember i had hesitated between DK Audio and RTW.
http://www.rtw.de/english/produkte/stereosichtgeraete.html
timmah
shitty $100 laptop and free analyser software? it's not sexy but I've used an ancient compaq for this purpose for ages. works well.
Mood Organ
timmah wrote:
shitty $100 laptop and free analyser software? it's not sexy but I've used an ancient compaq for this purpose for ages. works well.

It needs to be quiet, so that rules out the poopy Dell laptop collecting dust in the corner. This is a good thought though. I wonder how much a Mac Cube goes for.
wetterberg
erhm, the mac cube ain't quiet either wink

I'd recommend a pentium m IBM thinkpad, as those are dirt cheap used AND silent.
Mood Organ
wetterberg wrote:
erhm, the mac cube ain't quiet either wink

Really? I thought that was part of the point! No fan, right?
science
There are plenty of cheap home audio EQ units with spectrum analyzers. Maybe worth looking into.

I have one that I bought for like $75 about 7 or 8 years ago that I would feed a signal in to but not out of... just because I liked the way it looked under my TV thumbs up
revmutt
probably an old Goldline unit would be affordable and totally solid.
Tim Stinchcombe
revmutt wrote:
probably an old Goldline unit would be affordable and totally solid.
In a similar vein I picked up this Audio Control SA-3050A 4 or 5 years ago, and that is probably when I last used it - OK for lots of nice pretty flashing LEDs, but not really accurate enough for serious work (for which I use the FFT feature of my PicoScope, which is coincidentally perched on top...).

Tim
science
Here's a relatively cheap one...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/350981-REG/Alto_RSA_27_27_BAND_R EALTIME_SPECTRUM.html
science
...and one more. This one looks slightly nicer:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/D1500--Main
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1