Need some case help guys

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

User avatar
emergencyofstate
Synthesist
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Need some case help guys

Post by emergencyofstate » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:46 am

Well, I'm in a situation where I need a gig worthy case preferably 9U or more.
So I'd like to explore my options.

Looks like I have access to these road cases in my area via Craigslist.

Image

Image


I have Dopefer DIY power and 2 of Randal's rails. Can y'all help me make this a reality? I have zero idea how to go about mounting junk and making it legit. pleez h3lp! :hail:

User avatar
goiks
Hardest Tryer
Posts: 1858
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:04 pm
Location: bishop california

Post by goiks » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:46 am

those cases are awfully deep. if i were going to diy a road case based on an existing case i'd look at something shallower like a suitcase.

User avatar
emergencyofstate
Synthesist
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by emergencyofstate » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:12 pm

I just found a Zero Halliburton case for $270. This would work, no? Dimensions are 26 X 18 X 9

Image

zerosum
Modulation Maniac
Posts: 3750
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:49 pm

Post by zerosum » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:18 pm

emergencyofstate wrote:I just found a Zero Halliburton case for $270. This would work, no? Dimensions are 26 X 18 X 9

Image
I think Soy Sos has one of those for his Euro rig. :hmm:

User avatar
goiks
Hardest Tryer
Posts: 1858
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:04 pm
Location: bishop california

Post by goiks » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:39 pm

i have one of those i would consider selling/trading. whatchu got?

User avatar
emergencyofstate
Synthesist
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by emergencyofstate » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:18 pm

goiks wrote:i have one of those i would consider selling/trading. whatchu got?
wait, i don't understand. you have a halliburton case? I found the one above locally on craigslist. I either need to buy a case outright, or I need help implementing a DIY case...


User avatar
emergencyofstate
Synthesist
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by emergencyofstate » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:07 pm

Soy Sos wrote:See if this is of any help:

viewtopic.php?t=1219&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
awesome! so essentially all I need is the ends to mount inside my suitcase then mount the rails to them. Where'd you get yours?

User avatar
goiks
Hardest Tryer
Posts: 1858
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:04 pm
Location: bishop california

Post by goiks » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:07 pm

i have the as yet unmodified halliburton case. it is in used but very good condition. i was going to modify it but now have other portable case plans.

emergencyofstate wrote:
goiks wrote:i have one of those i would consider selling/trading. whatchu got?
wait, i don't understand. you have a halliburton case? I found the one above locally on craigslist. I either need to buy a case outright, or I need help implementing a DIY case...

User avatar
wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7673
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:31 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark.

Post by wetterberg » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:21 pm

emergencyofstate wrote:I just found a Zero Halliburton case for $270. This would work, no? Dimensions are 26 X 18 X 9
I'm assuming that's in inches? That would certainly work, at least for a "single-sided" case, that is to say I think you'll have a hard time mounting normal modules in the lid as well, if you factor in clearance for knobs - I'd much rather say "get one or two of those" - then you'll have room to leave it patched on the go.

This is my case, total diy job:
http://wetterberg.dk/uploads/case/mounted.jpg
- old pic, but you get the idea.
on that project I've been happy to have plenty of depth to work with, but obviously I can't carry it on to a plane, either, I'd have to check it... gulp!

anyway, that case is one of these:
http://uk.farnell.com/gt-line/turtle-35 ... dp/7536470
Image
which is 227 GBP new, you can probably find them cheaper in the States, too. This *will* fit 12U, straight up - 12U and a couple of joysticks, even ;)

I used about 2 meters of aluminium L-profile as well as 4 sets of rails; 2 from the DIY kit I got from Doepfer, and two from Reichelt:
http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=3;LA=2; ... ;OFFSET=16;
note that you'll have to get threaded strips AND the special 2.5mm screws from there too.

User avatar
emergencyofstate
Synthesist
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by emergencyofstate » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:28 pm

wetterberg wrote:which is 227 GBP new, you can probably find them cheaper in the States, too. This *will* fit 12U, straight up - 12U and a couple of joysticks, even wink
ahh yes.. knob clearance. I just got a joystick too! :mrgreen:

Looks kick ass man. Yours too Soy :nana:

Haven't been able to find a US reseller tho...they must be exclusively over there?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:44 pm

I hate to sound like an annoying broken record but the EWI Tourcase offerings from www.Audiopile.net are awesome. They come in a variety of depths and heights. I have several of the 10" depth ones:

Image

If you want to go the briefcase route, they also sell a large one for only $85. I've pondered turning one into a portable synth a couple times:
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases ... heet.shtml

Minimum Inside Dimensions:
Left to Right: 19 3/4"
Front to Back: 16 5/16"
Thickness over-all: 6 3/8"
Tray: 3 1/4"
Lid: 3 1/8"
Colors: Black or Blue

Image

User avatar
emergencyofstate
Synthesist
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by emergencyofstate » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:53 pm

JohnLRice wrote:I hate to sound like an annoying broken record but the EWI Tourcase offerings from www.Audiopile.net are awesome. They come in a variety of depths and heights. I have several of the 10" depth ones:
No worries..thanks for speaking up. This may be the easiest and quickest route for me to go. Is this the correct line? http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases ... page.shtml

And do you know how high I would need for 2 rows of euro and 1 row of frac?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:56 pm

All-Spec is a good place to buy electronics tools and they have a lot of tool cases that might work:

http://www.all-spec.com/products/Tools% ... 0&i=1&f=rp

User avatar
wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7673
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:31 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark.

Post by wetterberg » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:09 pm

emergencyofstate wrote:And do you know how high I would need for 2 rows of euro and 1 row of frac?
9U :)

User avatar
emergencyofstate
Synthesist
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by emergencyofstate » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:16 pm

Looks like 10U it is, with the place JohnL suggested. Their prices are sweet!

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases ... heet.shtml

So ---- What's the trick to mounting my rails into this sweet biotch? (loaded question on many dimensions)

User avatar
berfmurret
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:14 pm

Post by berfmurret » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:03 pm

i, too, am soon to start a halliburton case... well, the case is in the post.... i am still trying to figure out a way to get perfect spacing for my rails without risking going synthcase.com...

anybody have any suggestions?.. for rails i'm probably going with vector rails as seen in this pic.. http://www.sdiy.org/xyzzy/tstrut/tstrut ... rt-WEB.jpg

laurie at elby said front panels are a good way to get proper spacing.. but the center of the middle t isn't the same as the center of the outside t's on that vector rail.. getting it right might be difficult to fabricate with just sheet aluminum and a drill.. :eek:

User avatar
wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7673
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:31 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark.

Post by wetterberg » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:20 pm

berfmurret wrote:laurie at elby said front panels are a good way to get proper spacing.. but the center of the middle t isn't the same as the center of the outside t's on that vector rail.. getting it right might be difficult to fabricate with just sheet aluminum and a drill.. :eek:
It is, quite frankly, the most difficult part of such a build. Surely Vector have datasheets for these? That and some callipers and you should be off to a good start.

Spacing two rails out to get a good module fit is a slightly different thing, and yes, you'll want to use a module or two to get the spacing right across the length of the rail.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:24 pm

emergencyofstate wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:I hate to sound like an annoying broken record but the EWI Tourcase offerings from www.Audiopile.net are awesome. They come in a variety of depths and heights. I have several of the 10" depth ones:
No worries..thanks for speaking up. This may be the easiest and quickest route for me to go. Is this the correct line? http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases ... page.shtml

And do you know how high I would need for 2 rows of euro and 1 row of frac?
Yes, those are the ones I have. I'm glad Wetterberg spoke up on the needed height since I know very little about Frac and Euro modules. :waah:

User avatar
emergencyofstate
Synthesist
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by emergencyofstate » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:59 pm

I should be getting the rack sometime next week. Schtoked.

Still a little in the dark as how I'm going to mount the rails but I'm about to dive deep down into some research so I can do it right.

First, I have to play with an envelope i just got. :party: priorities.

User avatar
Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5379
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:15 am
Location: melbourne

Post by Luka » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:53 pm

berfmurret wrote:i, too, am soon to start a halliburton case... well, the case is in the post.... i am still trying to figure out a way to get perfect spacing for my rails without risking going synthcase.com...

anybody have any suggestions?.. for rails i'm probably going with vector rails as seen in this pic.. http://www.sdiy.org/xyzzy/tstrut/tstrut ... rt-WEB.jpg

laurie at elby said front panels are a good way to get proper spacing.. but the center of the middle t isn't the same as the center of the outside t's on that vector rail.. getting it right might be difficult to fabricate with just sheet aluminum and a drill.. :eek:
i built a euro suitcase awhile ago, first we setup the rails on the bench and sat 2 modules at the ends of each row. i did this for my 3 rows. then we measured the rail separation, worked out any other needed mounting holes from the calculations then transfered those calculations to the mounting rack / case edge / rack ears for drilling. Wasnt too hard, just remember measure twice before you start drilling into anything

User avatar
emergencyofstate
Synthesist
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by emergencyofstate » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:20 pm

So I've got this 10U road case arriving Tuesday.

Image

Full info here: http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases ... heet.shtml

So are right angle brackets the way to go here for mounting my rails? I have 2 of Randal's FErails and 2 doepfer rails...

User avatar
berfmurret
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:14 pm

Post by berfmurret » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:57 pm

errr. mount right angle brackets?.. will this involve drilling into your nice new case? defeats the purpose! find some ears for that thing. subracks of some sort! 10u is kind of a funny size for eurorack.. you gonna mount a 1u somethinganother on top?

User avatar
emergencyofstate
Synthesist
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by emergencyofstate » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:16 pm

err. ok.

I don't have much experience with cases. Hence this thread and asking for assistance. This case is for 9U of frac/eurorack. The 1U on top should give me space for my MOTU ultralite.

I'm looking for an alternative to flat out buying a subrack because I have a PSU, distros, and rails already. Is there a place I can buy rack ends to attach to the rails that come installed the road case? Somebody must understand what i need to do. :omg:

User avatar
loudone
Common Wiggler
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:24 am
Location: cambridge mass

Post by loudone » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:31 am

I asked a similair question....not much for an answer. :despair:
viewtopic.php?t=9099

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”