MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

software Klee
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author software Klee
ignatius
http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2009/10/software-klee-step-sequencer.h tml



via http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37570

"This is a cross-platform (Mac and Windows -- sorry, no Linux) software Klee. It was created with the input and testing of several Klee "veterans", including Scott Stites himself, Mosc, State Machine, Uncle Krunkus and EdisonRex. It includes virtually all major functions from the hardware Klee, and adds many new ones:

• MIDI output to any hardware or software synth
• Internal or MIDI clock
• 10 preset slots for instant recall of parameters
• Presets can be saved to and loaded from disk
• Built-in clock divide capability
• Synchronous load - loading of pattern happens on clock pulses, and not in between
• Load on Play feature to allow for loading of pattern each time clock started
• MIDI-controllable baseline note
• Custom definable note range allows for alternative scales

It should be available within the next few weeks hopefully. And although I can't make EM09 next week, others who are attending will be able to demonstrate it, if it's not available publicly by that time...

Dan"
jonkull
Awesome! MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Luka
so how do you control synths with it?
does it send cv and gates through a soundcard to analog gear
or somehow interfaces with vsts?
ignatius
Luka wrote:
so how do you control synths with it?
does it send cv and gates through a soundcard to analog gear
or somehow interfaces with vsts?


MIDI Mr. Green
emergencyofstate
which could then be sent to Volta or silent way for CV control.

software emulation of an analog sequencer controlling an analog synth. I still want a real Klee razz

I am stoked to try this tho!
dkcg
I hope the max source is released with it. Dammit, computer is making it's way back into my rig slowly...
wetterberg
OH, I didn't realize this was done by Dan Nigrin! Wooh! Then we'll have a MaxForLive version of this, I hope! Because that would mean it would be like 2 hours away from a CV-generating version, hehe.
wetterberg
dkcg wrote:
I hope the max source is released with it.
ah, wouldn't count on it, actually - it's a 40 euro plugin... booh. I mean, the design is open and free as in beer.
Ah well, best go back to my LFO->comparators->XOR clock and round-robin machine :-D
DGTom
emergencyofstate wrote:
software emulation of an analog sequencer controlling an analog synth.


Now I got a headache huh? applause
ix
the software klee is a very cool idea - actually i know its not for everyone and kind of goes against the grain but it made me think - wouldnt it be cool if that modular planner software let you build a software euro modular .......with software versions of all the euro rack modules in existance ...... think about a vsti that can be made up using all the manufacturers modules only in software format ( kind like a uad euro software modular ) the programmer could license the design for each modulae from the makers and vsti users could build there own virtual euro rack .I know we have software modular systems but one absed on actaul manuafcturers modules would be very cool - maybe a lifetimes work though and i guess there is an element of whats the point !

ignatius wrote:
http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2009/10/software-klee-step-sequencer.h tml

to demonstrate it, if it's not available publicly by that time...

Dan"
dnigrin
Hi guys, Dan Nigrin here. Thanks for the discussion on this forthcoming project I've been working on.
Quote:
so how do you control synths with it?
does it send cv and gates through a soundcard to analog gear
or somehow interfaces with vsts?

Correct that it communicates via MIDI, both for external hardware gear, as well as for internal plugins. For plugins, you'll need to use another host program, and then route the MIDI to it (i.e. with IAC MIDI Bus on Mac, or Loopback software for Windows). I plan to host VSTi's in the application itself in the future, but not for this version.
Quote:
which could then be sent to Volta or silent way for CV control.

I've not tested this yet as I don't have the right audio interface, but there's no reason it shouldn't work!
Quote:
software emulation of an analog sequencer controlling an analog synth.

Makes your head spin, huh?!
Quote:
I hope the max source is released with it.

Quote:
ah, wouldn't count on it, actually - it's a 40 euro plugin... booh

Unfortunately, I won't be releasing the source, and the full version will be $40 USD (not Euro) - I apologize for this, and yes I know the design of the Klee is freely available, but my feeling for my software creations has always been that I should get *some* compensation for my work, but to make that a *reasonable* amount. Furthermore, the demo version will be fully functional, with the only limitations that it cannot use presets and will timeout after 20 minutes. Finally, 15% of all the net proceeds will go back to the electro-music folks to keep their great site up and running!
Quote:
Then we'll have a MaxForLive version of this, I hope!

It's a definite possibility, though along the lines of the above, I am not thrilled that Cycling have not yet published a mechanism to protect MFL creations. Rest assured though that I built the guts of the application such that porting to an MFL device will be quite do-able, if and when the time is right. Even as it stands now, with MIDI clock input, the application will integrate quite nicely into your Ableton or other DAW workflow...

Best,
Dan
emergencyofstate
I see a super cool use for my monome 128 as a software klee controller.

maybe I should be allowed to test it lol lol

Hmm, I do have a DC coupled interface and Volta so I could test that too! either way this looks like a really great implementation. Excited to get my hands (and ears) on it.
dnigrin
emergencyofstate wrote:
I see a super cool use for my monome 128 as a software klee controller.!

For version 1, external control of the Klee parameters is not possible (with the exception of keyboard control of the "base note"). This is already on the list for future functionality though (along with many other ideas!). I decided a few weeks ago that I was going to stop adding features and just get version 1.0 out the door, because it was sooo much fun to play with as is!

Rest assured that this and other incremental features will be coming.

Dan
emergencyofstate
dnigrin wrote:
I decided a few weeks ago that I was going to stop adding features and just get version 1.0 out the door, because it was sooo much fun to play with as is!

Rest assured that this and other incremental features will be coming.


gotcha. I've got no problem noodling at the computer...so i'll survive with v1 - for a little while at least thumbs up
Audio Resistance
Hello Dan,

This looks great and is something that I would really enjoy.

Is this a stand alone application or does it open up inside Logic as a plugin and start rolling whenever you hit play?

Cheers,
Rob
dnigrin
Audio Resistance wrote:
Is this a stand alone application or does it open up inside Logic as a plugin and start rolling whenever you hit play?

Hi Rob - it's a standalone application, but should easily integrate itself with other MIDI-based apps, using the IAC MIDI Bus on the Mac. It responds to MIDI clock, including start/stop commands - so once you configure the inter application MIDI, if you press start in Logic, the the Klee app will start as well.

Best,
Dan
Audio Resistance
dnigrin wrote:
Audio Resistance wrote:
Is this a stand alone application or does it open up inside Logic as a plugin and start rolling whenever you hit play?

Hi Rob - it's a standalone application, but should easily integrate itself with other MIDI-based apps, using the IAC MIDI Bus on the Mac. It responds to MIDI clock, including start/stop commands - so once you configure the inter application MIDI, if you press start in Logic, the the Klee app will start as well.

Best,
Dan


Hm okay, I had never used IAC MIDI Bus before but I just read up on it and that seems easy enough. thumbs up

I am really looking forward to this, looks really fun.
dnigrin
Audio Resistance wrote:
Hm okay, I had never used IAC MIDI Bus before but I just read up on it and that seems easy enough.

Yeah, it's not tough to use at all, and is quite useful when you need to route MIDI from one application to another on the same computer.

Hope to have it ready for everyone soon to try!

Best,
Dan
dnigrin
I took a break from working on the documentation, to throw together this brief demo of the software Klee in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-McwiYe8rU

I'm just playing around (as one *should* do on the Klee!), and showing some of its unique features, including custom note range for the dials/pots, as well as the presets, synchronous load, etc... Would love to hear feedback!

Dan
doctorvague
Hi Dan
This looks very interesting! I'm now using Numerology quite a bit with my modular, and more recently using Volta as well.
I can test this with Volta if you like, but your software will need to be able to host Volta as a plug-in.

Cheers
Phil
dnigrin
Thanks Phil - the plugin hosting will come in a future version, just not in version 1. In the meantime, it's easy to route the MIDI output from the Klee software to your plugin host of choice...
doctorvague
dnigrin wrote:
Thanks Phil - the plugin hosting will come in a future version, just not in version 1. In the meantime, it's easy to route the MIDI output from the Klee software to your plugin host of choice...


Got it. That's how I'm using Volta with Numerology. I'm hosting Volta in DP and routing MIDI from Num to DP. Works fine. I look forward to trying your Klee out. In all honesty, I have a Klee kit in my closet (minus the panel) and am intimidated by it. I don't even completely understand it conceptually, much less building it, although I've built other kits and DIY stuff. This will help get my head around understand the concepts, plus I could see using either the soft or hardware version depending on the circumstances. In any case, I think it's a great idea Dan, and it's neat you worked with Scott himself. A true genius at this stuff if there ever was one IMHO. Best of luck with the project.

As far as the video, I don't fully understand what's happening (see above) but am very glad it appears you have included some way to create custom scales (1:38 in your video). I've been harassing Jim Coker (Numerology) for custom scales for literally years and it's still not implemented....

Cheers
Phil
dnigrin
doctorvague wrote:
As far as the video, I don't fully understand what's happening (see above)

Yeah, the Klee definitely takes some time to wrap your head around it. Rest assured that it will come with complete documentation, that walks you through what its doing. But with the Klee, the other neat thing is that you don't often *need* to know exactly what you're doing - just by messing around, you can get some great sequences. And now with the software, you can easily store good bits with the presets, for later instantaneous recall. One of the benefits of software!
Quote:
but am very glad it appears you have included some way to create custom scales (1:38 in your video). I've been harassing Jim Coker (Numerology) for custom scales for literally years and it's still not implemented....

I got the inspiration to implement the custom ranges for the dials when I was playing with the online ToneMatrix: http://lab.andre-michelle.com/tonematrix . I'm pretty sure that uses a pentatonic scale, and so I thought - hmm, being able to easily dial in a pentatonic scale would be cool for the Klee too!

Best,
Dan
dnigrin
Happy to announce that the software is now available - go give it a try! And if you like the demo, please buy the full version! (the Presets available in the full version are lots of fun to use to instantly toggle between interesting patches...):

http://defectiverecords.com/klee

Best,
Dan
rydan
Cool!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group