MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[New Release!!!!] TrAniModule! 8HP Class A Amp/Spkr
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Author [New Release!!!!] TrAniModule! 8HP Class A Amp/Spkr
vytis
Slomen wrote:
I kinda hope someone makes a module called "The pale fat Viking with 1st world problems" with a picture of me on it so I can use that as my argument next time there is a debate like this.


thumbs up

Totally agree we're overreacting here. Cool module, that's all I can say. Good work Animodule!
c0rpse
This industry is full of misleading names, Muffwiggler?

Anyway.

I've had my Tranimodule for a couple weeks now and I absolutely love it. I'm using it as my main line in module, and a speaker for playing in the living room.

The build quality is superb. I think it is my most rock solid module.
wander
Slomen wrote:
Is "tranny" really as bad as "nigger"?


I don't think we can really quantify something like that. It's not some sort of oppression olympics where we try to decide who has it "worse..." I simply used that comparison because it's similar: it's an epithet used to denigrate a historically oppressed group of people.

Slomen wrote:
And would it be possible to name it otherwise when it is sort of begging for the transvestite-transistor association AND it is made by AniModulte?


I personally don't think any joke is "begging to be made," especially when that joke is harmful. Using slurs to target and isolate people is a big part of how oppression is perpetuated (in fact, it's so effective that the US military employs it as a means to desensitize their own troops toward killing enemy troops - if you have a nasty word that you use to indicate that someone is "other," it's much harder to see them as a human being and much easier to justify killing them). Trans* individuals are already subjected a quite a lot of oppression and rejection - almost half of them attempt suicide at some point in their lives, and as I said before, one in twelve is murdered.

Slomen wrote:
I mean, is "transvestite" also a bad word and is it bad to give something like a Eurorack module the persona of a Trans gender person? (What is the correct non-offending term?) I don´t think Transvestimodule, Trans-AniModule, Transimodule or TransistorAnimodule works as well as TrAniModule...


"Transvestite" means that someone likes to dress up in the clothes of another sex and has nothing to do with identity. People who identify as another gender or sex but have made no physical changes to their bodies (such as hormone therapy or sex reassignment surgery) are "transgender," reflecting the fact that their biological sex has not changed, just their gender. Those who have made physical alterations to their bodies are "transsexual." A good way to encompass both groups is to just say "trans" or "trans*."

And sure, the name might "work well," but again, I don't think a funny module name is worth using epithets used to hurt trans* people. I'm sure the maker of the module is a smart guy and can come up with all sorts of hilarious names that aren't harmful.

Slomen wrote:
I have never been teased or harrassed because of my sexual preferences, being born in the wrong body, or the colour of my skin or my religion so I would not know how people that have felt these things feel, but... c´mon! Do we have to be political correct all the time? I kinda hope someone makes a module called "The pale fat Viking with 1st world problems" with a picture of me on it so I can use that as my argument next time there is a debate like this.


It's not about being "politically correct," it's about not perpetuating oppression by not engaging in usage of slurs. I know that it can be a chore to watch what you say, but I really believe it's important to do if we want to advance as a society. Like you said, you've never experienced harassment based on your sex, gender, race, etc (neither have I, and as a cis white man in the United States, I probably won't), so it's very difficult to really understand what they have to go through every day.

Slomen wrote:
Also I wish I knew a Transvestite (hope it is ok to use that word?) that I could ask what he or she felt about a eurorack module being called TrAniModule, because I think the name of the module together with the artwork and the speaker is cool as hell and I really want one!


I have a few trans* friends and none of them would be okay with me using a term like that, let alone an entire product named after it. I'm sure there are trans* people out there who wouldn't care, but I think it would be better to just think of another name for the module and avoid it altogether.

That being said, it does look like a fun module! I bet it would be really neat to put into one of those Erthenvar Lunch Boxes and go wiggle at the park and weird out passers-by with your strange bleeps and bloops hihi
JRock
Quote:
I've had my Tranimodule for a couple weeks now and I absolutely love it. I'm using it as my main line in module, and a speaker for playing in the living room.

The build quality is superb. I think it is my most rock solid module.

Thanks! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote:
That being said, it does look like a fun module! I bet it would be really neat to put into one of those Erthenvar Lunch Boxes and go wiggle at the park and weird out passers-by with your strange bleeps and bloops hihi

that's how it came to be!!
all my cabinets had little speaker modules in them cause I like to pull my modular outside on nice days and set it up on the tailgate of my truck (I live in a tiny apartment in the center of town so that's what constitutes a deck or a patio for me wink )
Everytime i went to a synth meet the other wigglers liked the speaker module in my cabinet, so I decided I should make a module for euro rack when it came time to add one to my eurorack cabinet.

I tried a BUNCH of different speakers and about 5 different amplifier configurations. In the end the combo that sounded the best was the Class A transistor amplifier with this particular speaker...
hence, the TrAniModule was born!
Slomen
Thanks for educating me on the subject @wander thumbs up
tibbon
I agree that the name here isn't a good choice. What the module does is really neat, but I wouldn't put one in my rack without putting tape over the name.

Would you sent one to Wendy Carlos and ask her what she thinks about it? How about send one to Devi Ever and ask her?

I can see how *you* (the reader) might not be offended, but also are you a cis, white, male? (most of us here are). But why not ask a transgendered person if they find the name funny or somewhat offensive?
logicgate
lol

can´t believe people are bitching over the name of this module... Trannies are short for transistors, get over it already
wander
Slomen wrote:
Thanks for educating me on the subject @wander thumbs up


No problem! Thank you for being open to it and being so understanding. It's not often that I talk to people who are so willing to listen.

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad, just voicing my opinion. If someone disagrees, I totally respect that! I just want to make my position clear. I love this community and you guys have been nothing but excellent to me since I joined. Thank you all! nanners Rockin' Banana! nanners
thetwlo
logicgate wrote:
lol

can´t believe people are bitching over the name of this module... Trannies are short for transistors, get over it already


yup, that's how I read it too. Didn't even think of the slur, no idea why anyone would hmmm..... doesn't even make sense to go there.
The context here is ELECTRONICS, seems like a huge jump to think otherwise.
JRock
tibbon wrote:

Would you sent one to Wendy Carlos and ask her what she thinks about it? How about send one to Devi Ever and ask her?


I'd be thrilled if either one of them was interested in having a TrAniModule for their rack! Mr. Green
c0rpse
Slomen wrote:
It's not about being "politically correct," it's about not perpetuating oppression by not engaging in usage of slurs. I know that it can be a chore to watch what you say, but I really believe it's important to do if we want to advance as a society. Like you said, you've never experienced harassment based on your sex, gender, race, etc (neither have I, and as a cis white man in the United States, I probably won't), so it's very difficult to really understand what they have to go through every day.


I agree with this, but the creator of the module already explained the logic behind the name, and it is not a tongue in cheek joke name. It's clearly based off the word transistor. He is not making a joke, and if you take it as a joke then you have simply misunderstood, because the two words sound similar. The same problem could arise from a manufacturer using non english words to name their module.

Individuals shouldn't joke with, and downplay words that are used to oppress groups of people, but that is not what has happened in this situation.
appliancide
Jesse, I've always respected Animodule's DIY build ethics and fun modules, but I think the humor of this one is a bit of a miss. The lips are a clear nod to Dr Frank-N_Furter no? Anyway, I've dealt with you a few times and you seem like a solid dude, so I don't believe this came from a hateful or judgmental place.

Maybe a better name would be TransAnimodule? Maybe reach out to someone in the trans community for suggestions?
thetwlo
appliancide wrote:
The lips are a clear nod to Dr Frank-N_Furter no?


never got that from it, it's a speaker so just thought of it as is a mouth for for voice and the fangs were the animal thing.
Really this had never crossed my mind, I guess I could see how you could get that from it. Of course no idea of his intentions.
wander
thetwlo wrote:

yup, that's how I read it too. Didn't even think of the slur, no idea why anyone would :hmm: doesn't even make sense to go there.
The context here is ELECTRONICS, seems like a huge jump to think otherwise.


This is most likely because you've never associated the word "tranny" with a hateful slur used against you. It's what we call "privilege:" the notion that there are experiences that you don't have to go through because of who you are. Trans* people aren't afforded the ability to shrug off the word tranny by telling themselves it's "just an electronics term." For many of them, it's a word that has been used by hateful individuals specifically to target them based on their sex and gender. To someone who has never questioned their sex, it seems odd to think of the term that way; to someone who feels that they've been born in the wrong body, it's a hurtful reminder that society does not welcome them. I think it's totally understandable that some people think of the slur rather than the electronics "term."
JRock
Look at these blank panels :*

it screams Monster Face to me
This is my avatar on the FB:


There's no derogatory slurs here.
There's no hate or judgement.

There's just an awesome Transistor Amplifier by AniModule With a name that rolls off the tongue nicely.
TrAniModule
Say it out loud. It feels good. cool

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

*image edited to fit better in screen smile
radin
Bumping this thread. I recently purchased one of these from perfect circuit. This thing is in my second case and is very fun It can give a relatively clean signal but will also clip the hell when the signal is turned way up. This is great to have around particularly if you have a lunchbox style travel kit.

Not mentioned earlier here but divkid has a great video on this module:

I'm having trouble embedding the video but it is located here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn8QzRihtR8

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn8QzRihtR8[/video]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Page 3 of 3
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group