MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge Audio Matrix Mixer... Why?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Serge Audio Matrix Mixer... Why?
Gringo Starr
I'm wondering how useful or how often you'd use this. So you have four different audio level mixes of the same thing. How often do you really need that? The CV Mixer seems like it would be a more consistently useful. But this one?

Beyond it's obvious use that I pointed out is there something I'm missing?
nrdvrgr
Feedback experiments! Like this one - all sound is made by feedback in the Matrix, no oscillators:
ear ear
Mmmmmmmmmmmm-mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Guinness ftw!
xpando
nice matrix useage nrdvrgr. where did you get your curved Serge cabinet?
nrdvrgr
xpando wrote:

Wheedywizz makes them...
xpando
nrdvrgr wrote:
xpando wrote:

Wheedywizz makes them...

thx Guinness ftw!
Mongo1
The other use I've seen people mention is to run several different LFOs into the inputs, and the use the mixer outputs for complex CVs...

Gary
richard
I think Gringo's point about the CV matrix may still stand, in fact wouldn't it be even better for feedback due to the inversions?
wsequeira
Add a comp and you can select from 4 different mixes - useful for changing your loops/textures in a live setting or automation.
odditymedium
wsequeira,

what do you mean by "comp"? add a compressor? or?
FatRocky
I saw a Dmitri's youtube video using a CGS one that can be switched from audio to cv. He makes a good example of it.
memes_33
sure you could do similar with the serge one, but i sometimes use my buchla 205r matrix mixer by patching oscillators into the inputs, then routing outputs to FM inputs on those oscillators for some insane FM possibilities.
odditymedium
can someone tell me what a comp means
GrantB
odditymedium wrote:

I'm not sure what was meant by that comment but my first thought was comparator. The Serge Matrix Mixer m-panel came with four VCAs, so you could use a comparator output (or any gate source), split the CMP output one side into one VCA CV in and the other side to a CV processor for inversion and then into the other VCA CV in, mix the two VCA outs and get switching between two mixes. Throw in another couple handfuls of VCAs, logic, mixing and inverters and you're switching four sources.

In the grand Serge ecosystem switching four sources would probably best be achieved with the triple bidirectional router or 4 channel voltage controlled mixer combined with some sort of logic scheme that sends out the appropriate gates.
FatRocky
FatRocky wrote:
I saw a Dmitri's youtube video using a CGS one that can be switched from audio to cv. He makes a good example of it.

This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9yStio3QaU
flo
GrantB wrote:
odditymedium wrote:

I'm not sure what was meant by that comment but my first thought was comparator.

I think wsequeira meant a computer... thumbs up As in, different stems / loops played from a DAW.

On topic, matrix mixers are great! But 4x4 is a bit small hihi I love my Hinton SwitchMix, the possibilities are endless and it's very playable. The cable mess is also reduced a lot if you patch carefully.

Cheers Guinness ftw!
GrantB
flo wrote:
GrantB wrote:
odditymedium wrote:

I'm not sure what was meant by that comment but my first thought was comparator.

I think wsequeira meant a computer... thumbs up As in, different stems / loops played from a DAW.

Drinking Haha that's a good one! I mean, what kind of weirdo puts music into the looking at cat pictures machine? Teh forumcats
odditymedium
flo, could that hinton switch mix be made in 4U format? also, are those on/off switches? but then one loses the controllable sub mixes with individual pots, no?
flo
odditymedium wrote:
flo, could that hinton switch mix be made in 4U format?

You should ask Hinton Instruments about that rather than me, but they certainly do custom work if you are serious. As far as I know, SwitchMix is not in production at the moment, though.

odditymedium wrote:
also, are those on/off switches? but then one loses the controllable sub mixes with individual pots, no?

Yes. Have a look at MatrixMix if you want that.

I use a Trimmer at the SwitchMix front, adding input level control, inversion and offsets. The Trimmer inputs are cascaded down and the outputs are half-normalised to the SwitchMix inputs in my setup. A very flexible combo even with minimal patching.

Cheers applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1