Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

zilaihong
Veteran Wiggler

[Shnth Tuning Tables]

Post by zilaihong » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:17 am

I'll start with my humble research :

[the Ptolemy's Diatonic Scale]
(some values are in [arab] range)

You can put any pair of nume / deno together so the full range is -2-1=-3 to 2+1=3 - 7 octaves!

nume (oct -1 / 0 / +1)
I - 24 / 48 / 96
II - 27 / 54 / 108
III - 30 / 60 / 120
IV - 32 / 64 / 128
V - 36 / 72 / 144
VI - 40 / 80 / 160
VII - 45 / 90 / 180

deno (oct -2 / -1 / 0 / +1 / +2)
192 / 96 / 48 / 24 / 12

Then you can use my [srate] calculator to transpose as you wish.

:guinness:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[MengQiMusic - Interface Matters]
http://www.mengqimusic.com

Jasper
Common Wiggler

Post by Jasper » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Woah, thanks mengqi! :sb:

krz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by krz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:47 pm

What if Dr. Mengqi's Phd's table was coded right into Fish and it
revealed itself as a pull-up menu in the corresponding value boxes?

bartlebooth
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bartlebooth » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:54 pm

krz wrote:What if Dr. Mengqi's Phd's table was coded right into Fish and it
revealed itself as a pull-up menu in the corresponding value boxes?
that wouldn't appeal to me but the source code is there if anybody wants to take a crack at it... besides i think you'll like what peter's working on now more :mrgreen:

zilaihong
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zilaihong » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:33 pm

Thank you guys!
bartlebooth wrote:besides i think you'll like what peter's working on now more :mrgreen:
Wow, is it like a tonal preset system? That would be awesome! :party:

I am sure my diatonic table and [srate] cal will be replaced by better fish functions as development goes on. But for now if anyone want to be tonal (especially useful when playing with other musicians on traditonal instruments), you can use my tuning method without diving into calculations by yourself.

Btw, how is the development of the "desktop" version of shnth?

bartlebooth
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bartlebooth » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:02 am

zilaihong wrote: ..Wow, is it like a tonal preset system? That would be awesome! :party:

I am sure my diatonic table and [srate] cal will be replaced by better fish functions as development goes on. But for now if anyone want to be tonal (especially useful when playing with other musicians on traditonal instruments), you can use my tuning method without diving into calculations by yourself.

Btw, how is the development of the "desktop" version of shnth?

nah, nothing like that. well you probably know about mikey walker which blurs the line between synth and video game - its something peter's wanted to make for a long time - a video game whose underlying 'engine' is in fact a synthesizer. what's cool is that not only do you play mikey with the shnth but you should be able to upload the resulting sound of your game to your shnth as well..so its like writing a patch via playing the game! (more here: http://petermopar.blogspot.com/2013/08/ ... -game.html)

regarding the second part of your question, we're not actively working on a desktop model at the moment. there's more interest here in developing brand new shbobo instruments that expand on / complement the shnth than variations of the current design.

zilaihong
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zilaihong » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:56 am

Hmm, since you said the table and calculator are not appealling to you to be in fish I thought there will be a better verison of them... but I do think a tonal helper would be more useful than a game when using shnth to make music or play a composed piece.

That being said, I am also highly interested in the game, it is a great concept. I would love to see the implementation for the relationship between sound/gaming. Like is it possible to determin the "character" of the sound by using specific playing technique?

Synplant can be an example - users don't tweak any parameters, but they can still come closer to the sound they want, though a process like "selective gene mutation". Will it be a similar process to use the game to write patch? Or it will be like a random patch generator?

Awesome! :tu: The current shnth would take both hands, so I would love to see a floor unit that's capable of processing stereo sound from shnth!

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:36 pm

my toes are very jealous of my finger squishing

I thought I may have to buy a foot shnth

bartlebooth
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bartlebooth » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:34 am

Tonality Diamond for Harry Partch's 43-tone scale, converted to ratios for easy entry into shnth.

a couple of notes:

- the diagram gives otonal and utonal scales for 1,3,5,7,9 and 11 limit ratios. otonal ('major') is keeping the deno consant and varying the nume; utonal (minor) is keeping the nume constant and varying the deno. in this diagram, otonal are the rows going 'NE to SW' and utonal are the rows going 'NW to SE'. for example 7/7, 12/7, 11/7, 10/7.. is the otonal row for the 7-limit and 7/7, 7/6, 14/11, 7/5.. is the utonal row for the 7-limit.

- where you see 2 numbers in parantheses in the nume or deno that's a short - first number is bigg, second is small. ex/ 8/5 has (128,0) in the nume so that's a short. these ratios are scaled so as to keep the denos all around 160 or so. if you want to change octaves you can halve or double it.

- the ratios are given in arab mode but are easily converted to dirac (in fact, maybe i'll post a dirac mode table too). because they are in arab mode be sure to mul down your oscillators to keep them from clipping if you use several in the same DAC (this isn't a problem in dirac since the positive and negative parts of the waveform tend to cancel out but in arab mode there are no negative parts!) i usually mul by 64 for 4 oscillators, 85 for 3, 128 for 2, etc

- you don't have to use these ratios for just horns or saws..you can use them with togos in the granular opcodes too (fog, haze..) and even try the utonal ones in the string section (you'll have to scale them for that though)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bartlebooth on Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

zilaihong
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zilaihong » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:38 am

bartlebooth Awesome! :yay: :tu:

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”