MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Here's my review/thoughts on IDOW: Hardcore Edition
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author Here's my review/thoughts on IDOW: Hardcore Edition
Waz
Is there a digital DL version of this?? I'd like to watch it, but $30 is a bit too much for me. I'm the kind of guy that watches documentaries once and usually never again. I buy most of my content digitally these days.
s o l v e n t
Waz wrote:
Is there a digital DL version of this?? I'd like to watch it, but $30 is a bit too much for me. I'm the kind of guy that watches documentaries once and usually never again. I buy most of my content digitally these days.

We don't offer a digital download of the Hardcore Edition, sorry.
synthiaks
Watched it last weekend and have set aside tomorrow for another session....appreciate all the effort, inspiring.

applause w00t we're not worthy
synthiaks
s o l v e n t wrote:
thesnow wrote:
Tenderlash wrote:
I just bought the DVD last weekend and I'm almost through watching it (will finish the last half hour tonight - I'm slow because I'm still watching Breaking Bad lol.. priorities lol) as someone relatively new to modulars, this has been a real eye opener. I have so, so much to learn. Also, I was pleased to see a few faces of people I met last weekend in Asheville and a few faces of people I "met" through facebook smile I have to credit the movie for helping me find this forum. I am quite intrigued by all the new gear out there as well as the vintage gear that's still floating around and being pampered. I can't wait to learn more about modular synths... I had to cringe through the DX7 part talking about the downfall of analog.. as I recently bought a DX7 on a whim (well.. when I was a teenager this was THE synth, so I just wanted one!) This documentary is very well done, well narrated and really just an amazing collection of thoughts and anecdotes from so many pioneers. thumbs up applause

dx7 is still a bad ass sounding synth and it did "change the game" at one point so, it's a keeper! thumbs up

Really encouraging to hear this, Tenderlash - cool!

Despite the DX7's role in killing off analog when it came out, that doesn't take away from it as a powerful and interesting synth nowadays, if that's a sound you like. I can tell you that IDOW's director Robert purchased a DX7 in order to shoot it for the film, and he's kept it and I know he is quite into it now!

Can't agree enough...the DX7 is an amazing machine and not as scary to tweak as is imagined, plus its super cheap to buy and although sadly my supermax card just died I just popped the old ic's back in and all's ok again.
Jeffcon0
I purchased IDOW off Amazon last week and watched it in one marathon session last night. Just wanted to congratulate the creators on a job well down. As a newbie to the modular world I was engaged throughout. It really conveyed the great sense of community we enjoy on Muff's and was so cool just hearing how passionate the designers were for their products.

I particularly enjoyed the segments with the guy in Toronto who has a recording studio that musicians stop by, the Metasonix stuff (makes we want to get some of his modules), and the guys involved with the Buchla.

Really great stuff. I think my wife thought I was nuts watching a 4 hour doc on synths, though. thumbs up
Electronicaz
This movie made me spend my children's inheritance.
emdot_ambient
Everyone here should go to amazon and post a review. I just submitted mine (5 star). Wrote a big long review.

Probably should have just written: "I laughed. I cried. Two thumbs up. Better than Cats."

hihi
emdot_ambient
Oddly enough, I'm wearing my IDOW Moog t-shirt today. Had someone ask me about it in the cafeteria at breakfast..."Wearing your Moog shirt, eh?"

IDOW was promoted, as was Muff's. thumbs up
s o l v e n t
Cheers Jeffcon0 and emdot_ambient!

And extra thanks for that Amazon review! Funny, Robert (director) said to me the other day that we should call out to other people to post reviews there, since for a long while it was just that 1 single review where the guy says:

"However" I have subtracted 2 stars for the unwarranted and unnecessary bashing of Wendy Carlos. Who happens to be many peoples first exposure to synthesizers. Also I believe the subject could have been shown and celebrated without putting every other type of synthesis down.

Odd conclusion. Some people seem to think that if we included an opinion in the documentary, that it's the film's opinion as well. The quotes used were meant to illustrate a fundamental difference between the East and West coast approaches. For the record we attempted to interview Carlos, and to license some music from Switched On Bach - both requests were refused.

Anyway, again - big thanks for that positive Amazon review - it's a big help!
emdot_ambient
I didn't understand that Carlos comment either. Almost put something about it in my review, but decided it was just best to ignore it. Frankly, I don't recall anything like Carlos bashing in the film.
Needles
'This movie made me spend my children's inheritance.'

This!
thundermouse
I'm very curious to why there's not much mention of CGS or Ken Stone. And no mention of Blacet/Frac? Kind of shitty, especially being kind of the OG in 3u....

Besides that, I loved it! I really did. But needed to delve more into the DIY scene that never really ended, besides the old telephone-operator dealy. I'm sure the Great Grant Richter could of been found to be interviewed!
But I will continue to watch it, again and again.
s o l v e n t
thundermouse wrote:
I'm very curious to why there's not much mention of CGS or Ken Stone. And no mention of Blacet/Frac? Kind of shitty, especially being kind of the OG in 3u....

Besides that, I loved it! I really did. But needed to delve more into the DIY scene that never really ended, besides the old telephone-operator dealy. I'm sure the Great Grant Richter could of been found to be interviewed!
But I will continue to watch it, again and again.

Glad you enjoyed it.

As for "I'm very curious to why there's not much mention of ...." this has come up a lot, and everyone has a different idea of who should've been covered... the point being, it's just wouldn't have been possible to cover everyone. Our time and resources were extremely limited (this was literally a 2-man operation with $ coming 100% through DVD pre-sales - our whole budget was lower than a lot of film's daily catering budget). Getting deep into the DIY scene could've added another hour to the film, easily. I know a lot of people wanted more, but really I think 4 hours is a lot!

If our resources were bigger and we'd followed every lead, we may have still been working on it now. The people you mentioned weren't covered because of their geography, living in areas that we couldn't make it to. We generally chose locations to travel to where we could get a lot of people interviewed, for example NAMM. We had to make every trip count because we could only afford to travel to a few places.
thundermouse
I didn't mean to sound overly critical, I loved it!
waveglider
I think in order to make everyone happy and cover everything, this would need to be a weekly series!
lucid
s o l v e n t wrote:

As for "I'm very curious to why there's not much mention of ...." this has come up a lot, and everyone has a different idea of who should've been covered... the point being, it's just wouldn't have been possible to cover everyone. Our time and resources were extremely limited (this was literally a 2-man operation with $ coming 100% through DVD pre-sales - our whole budget was lower than a lot of film's daily catering budget). Getting deep into the DIY scene could've added another hour to the film, easily. I know a lot of people wanted more, but really I think 4 hours is a lot!

maybe IDOW 2
pfontaine2
I love the documentary but some scenes have a terrible flicker. Was this intentional or do I have a defective copy of the Hardcore Edition?

Incredible work and really appreciated!
dJ dAb
thundermouse wrote:

My thoughts too but I completely understand, due to distance and time constraints of the production... Jason did reach out to me about Frac and I offered my assistance. I also suggested starting a dialog with Scott Lee at PAiA. Unfortunately things didn't go further. Would have loved to seen my preferred format featured cry

btw, back when I got into DIY electronics & modular synths, CGS (Ken Stone), Midwest Analog (Thomas Henry), and Frac Rak - 3U greats PAiA (John Simonton) & Blacet were on top! And, speaking of the 3U game, I thought Euro stuff just felt cheap... and a lot still does. IMO

Great movie regardless!!! Totally appreciate all the hard work that went in into it. SlayerBadger!

FRAC FOREVER!
mousegarden
Er, yeah, it's OK !

No Don Buchla ? Sort of disappointing, would liked to have heard some of his comments on the whole scene. No Wendy Carlos, well, that was expected.
Would liked to have seen more contributions from "street" wigglers, as well as the more well known people. No Brian Eno, but then again, he would have said no probably anyway, not his scene, more into the theoretical's.
I liked the interviews with module makers, that was interesting, didn't like, the DX7 bashing and anti digital stance sometimes, but I guess this is about analogue modular's, so.....but it seemed a little irrational sometimes. All things have a place, and are useful.
On the whole though it's very entertaining, the history side could have gone a bit deeper, but apart from that it does it's job, which for me is turning back the clock, and revisiting those glorious inspiring days when I only dreamt of owning these machines.

MouseGarden.
WozNYC
Received my Hardcore Edition DVD yesterday and watched Part 1. Very enjoyable although I found the BBC-style narrative a bit dry for my tastes. That's just me. Overall, very happy with it.
bassnode
Loved the movie - plan to watch it again soon. Lots of great info packed in there.

My only complaint is that you don't offer a download version. I think you addressed this before by saying it wasn't feasible due to file size and something you didn't want to do because of piracy. Well, I can say the latter is going to happen regardless of what you do. If it's on DVD, it's on PirateBay, et. al.

As for the file size reasoning - is it because of the hosting costs or do you think people wouldn't want to download ~ 10GB of video? If it's the latter, I'd disagree, especially with your target audience (i.e. geeks). For most people, that's a quick download and wouldn't even make a dent in their 1TB drive. As for the hosting/bandwidth costs, you could likely include it in the purchase price, no?

Anyway - just a thought. I was totally gutted (and pretty miffed) when I went to the site with (Paypal) money in hand, ready to download before a long plane flight and was instead forced to buy a DVD.

Great work on the film!
s o l v e n t
bassnode wrote:
Loved the movie - plan to watch it again soon. Lots of great info packed in there.

My only complaint is that you don't offer a download version. I think you addressed this before by saying it wasn't feasible due to file size and something you didn't want to do because of piracy. Well, I can say the latter is going to happen regardless of what you do. If it's on DVD, it's on PirateBay, et. al.

As for the file size reasoning - is it because of the hosting costs or do you think people wouldn't want to download ~ 10GB of video? If it's the latter, I'd disagree, especially with your target audience (i.e. geeks). For most people, that's a quick download and wouldn't even make a dent in their 1TB drive. As for the hosting/bandwidth costs, you could likely include it in the purchase price, no?

Anyway - just a thought. I was totally gutted (and pretty miffed) when I went to the site with (Paypal) money in hand, ready to download before a long plane flight and was instead forced to buy a DVD.

Great work on the film!

Thanks for the kind words!

Hardcore Edition won't be a digital download release. There's more to it than I really want to get into; the download file size is really not the issue - the reasoning is very complicated with several financial/marketing factors involved. We'll do a digital release of the theatrical cut, most likely later this year.
Rongos
Loved it!! love
kd2ajn
Very amazing how many significant people you were able to interview for this film. I would have liked to see even more footage of many of them, but I suppose 4 hours is pretty long already.
Manzanedo
I bought the DVD from Amazon after watching some extended interviews on Youtube. I could be mistaken but it seems that the extended interviews are not included on the DVD. Is this correct? I know it is four hours long, but just curious.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 7 of 9