MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Here's my review/thoughts on IDOW: Hardcore Edition
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author Here's my review/thoughts on IDOW: Hardcore Edition
s o l v e n t
Please post your review/thoughts of "IDOW: Hardcore Edition" in this thread, thanks!
337is
Unexpected swag in my envelope made me happy. Love the postcards, button, and stickers. Can't wait to watch this bad boy. I've been so excited about this release for so long, and now it's payoff time! Thanks Jason! applause thumbs up
s o l v e n t
bump
rezzn8r
Let me start by saying great doc! I really enjoyed watching it. It has lots of great shots of awe inspiring systems, and many insightful comments from some very interesting people. I really like the interview with Dieter.
I thought the first part was a very well constructed history of modular synthesis. The narration suited the content and the pace. It even reminding me at times of Look Around You.
Unfortunately, I have to say that I didn't think the narration suited the second part at all. I felt like the narration kept holding back the pace of the doc when it could be picking up momentum.
I also thought your (solvent's) narrative got a little lost in the second half of the second part, but I really should watch it again to make sure it wasn't just a bit of viewing fatigue, as I did watch it all in one sitting oops SlayerBadger!
Thanks for doing this. I'm sure I'll watch it many more times we're not worthy
humancertainty
Just finished Part 1.
nanners thumbs up we're not worthy
taylor12k
got mine today and have watched part 1 and some of part 2. very enjoyable and very well done.

I, too, find the narration in pt2. (haven't seen any of 3 or 4 yet) a bit dry. the "bbc" vibe works well for the historical first part, but it seems like a different, perhaps more energetic or "younger" voice may work better as it goes on. of course, changing narrators might be a bad idea, too.

anyway, minor point overall.

a fun and informative watch so far. love to see and hear people I've only ever read or read about.
Bath House
Surprised/bummed at no closed captions on the Blu-Ray. I've done these for a living and would have donated the service if I had known that the alternative was to just not have them.
s o l v e n t
Bath House wrote:
Surprised/bummed at no closed captions on the Blu-Ray. I've done these for a living and would have donated the service if I had known that the alternative was to just not have them.

Would've delayed the release of the DVD/BluRay substantially. We literally put it to press a couple of weeks after finishing it. It's a niche and limited edition film, and I just don't think there is enough demand for closed captions to justify it in this case. Same goes with subtitles. We'll get all of these things done for the theatrical release.
s o l v e n t
BTW the narrator is Navs of navsmodularlab.blogspot.ca / regular MW forum contributor ... not saying that should affect anyone's opinion of it, but a cool fact.
jmcecil
I enjoyed it but had some nitpicks.

Main complaint would be the "who is this guy talking" labels came on too late, with too little, and sometimes no info about who they were or why they mattered. I still have no clue who the 2 old dudes talking about their initial work with Buchla are.

The soundtrack largely ignores the current dialog. For example you show a picture of Keith Emerson ... no soaring keith emerson lead ... You talk about Wendy Carlos being pivotal, but not a single blip from that sound pallet. Same with references to Stevie Wonder, Herbie Handcock etc... You can use snippets for work like this, so it seems odd by omission.

Other than that it really was a fun walk through the initial modular world.
s o l v e n t
jmcecil wrote:
The soundtrack largely ignores the current dialog. For example you show a picture of Keith Emerson ... no soaring keith emerson lead ... You talk about Wendy Carlos being pivotal, but not a single blip from that sound pallet. Same with references to Stevie Wonder, Herbie Handcock etc... You can use snippets for work like this, so it seems odd by omission.

Ha we would've needed to sell another 3000 copies just to license the songs you mention here
jmcecil
s o l v e n t wrote:
jmcecil wrote:

Ha we would've needed to sell another 3000 copies just to license the songs you mention here

lol, at least here you can use snippets without license for stuff like this under "fair use". But, your legal budget probably couldn't handle the idiotic litigious assholes just to defend what should be obvious.

Anyhow, didn't want to seem over critical ... small nits compared to the good stuff that is there.
s o l v e n t
jmcecil wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote:
jmcecil wrote:

lol, at least here you can use snippets without license for stuff like this under "fair use". But, your legal budget probably couldn't handle the idiotic litigious assholes just to defend what should be obvious.

Anyhow, didn't want to seem over critical ... small nits compared to the good stuff that is there.

Thanks. "Fair use" would only apply if a specific piece of music was mentioned by name. None that you mentioned were. Mentioning an album doesn't give fair use to songs contained in it. Anyway you would only get 3 seconds (or something like that) of use. BTW, Wendy Carlos now owns the rights to her music, which seems to mean that you won't likely be hearing any Carlos music licensed to anything.
s o l v e n t
BTW I'm going to step out of this thread as I don't want to get into addressing points about how & why the film was made the way it was. I just don't have time for it. Not that anyone asked me to step in, of course! But I'm just saying it's best that the thread be people sharing their thoughts with each other about the film instead of offering critique to the people who made it. Cheers!
drip.feed
Anybody received it in UK / Ireland / Europe yet? Meine Bierkeller ist voll. Guinness ftw!
Bath House
Just finishing it now. applause Thumbs up across the board, great camerawork, hyper-clean DSLR-feeling footage throughout without lame or distracting effects or transitions, which people making "tech" documentaries are too often drawn to. It's like looking through nice, clean glass at the content, as something like this should be.

I love how dry and academic the voiceover is - it feels like a nice, wink-wink nudge-nudge reference to all of those PBS or BBC doc like "Made in Sheffield," instead of having some charismatic, contemporary morning zoo-sounding dudebro. Engaging, clean diction - thumbs up. I was surprised at how noisy and not-great quality some of the regular interview audio was - lots of room sound, obvious edits - especially compared to how super-clean other interview audio is (the Carl Craig and Chris Carter stuff sounds amazing!). As noted earlier, I was also bummed at the lack of subtitles, especially given some thick accents and sub-par interview audio. Definitely prioritize that for the feature edition - and if you want someone that's done it professionally and knows how to spell every single "Trautonium," "Schulze," etc. - PM me!

Similar to another poster, I found the attributions kind of confusing and sometimes hilarious - I'd definitely focus on fixing some of those for the mainstream release. For example, I wouldn't dream of listing Flood's primary affiliation as "Node" - instead, I'd credit him as "Producer - Depeche Mode, Smashing Pumpkins, U2" or something like that that a mainstream audience will understand. There were several others like this that I can't remember at the moment, where the person's most obscure or most recent affiliation was listed under their name instead of their most obvious one.

Loved it, loved it. Wish it was a miniseries with each little chunk lasting 2 hours.
radams
The soundtrack is very good
Deserves it's own release
StepLogik
Got my hardcore edition w00t

Great soundtrack! Informative and entertaining. Lots of GAS-inducing footage.
iamgoldman
sat down and watched through the whole thing. seriously inspiring.

i especially loved how the documentary followed lori napoleon and her diy switchboard endeavors. just a great way to show that connecting with others is just as valuable as synth know-how.

this is masterful work, and i hope to support another project of yours!
taylor12k
done with part 2 now and really enjoying it. i'm really impressed by a lot of the minds behind eurorack.. dieter doepfer and danjel come across as particularly perceptive people... (as do many others, but these two pop into my head).

so much has been covered in the first two hours, i can't imagine what's left! but i know it'll continue to be deep and inspiring.
Kingnimrod
I'm just partway into it, but I really like the voiceover. At first I had the volume too low and thought they had run the script through xtranormal. Ha!

Subtitles/CC would have been excellent but 4 hours would have been quite a task.

If you're looking to clean up ambient noise from interview footage for the theatrical cut, there are tools available that make it very easy that sample a bit between dialog and filter those frequencies out of the audio.

Overall, this doc feels very solid and professionally done. Get ready for the flood of newcomers to this forum if it ever hits Netflix.
Tubeampguy
I REALLY wanted the extended interviews with all the artists. Kinda weird that the interviews are all posted online, But NOT included in the Hardcore version. After watching it 3 times in 2 days I'm bummed of this omission. sad banana
Kingnimrod
Yeah, I'm only partway into the doc, so I didn't know that it didn't include those, as the initial description described "bonus extended interviews" as part of it. I guess that is what will be on the DVD-r sets that were super-limited?

Hopefully they will post all of the extended interviews to Vimeo once they've made all of the money they can from it.
acidbob
my only complaint is that I havent seen it yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn hihi need it now...
n_m
Kingnimrod wrote:

Hopefully they will post all of the extended interviews to Vimeo once they've made all of the money they can from it.

Second that!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 1 of 9